Infinity Stones only for 1st place?

tchipley
tchipley Posts: 63 Match Maker
What is the point of even advertising them if only 1 person is going to get them?

It doesn't entice me to play more because I know I will never take 1st place.

I find it to be more aggravating than anything else.

I sure hope they come up with an alternate way to get them.

Please somebody tell me something good about this.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Even if you were able to gather all the stones, there's no Gauntlet to put them in
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Once more people catch on that they will never have a Power Stone support it will be Double Butt Hurt Events all day, every day.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    They are probably following the movie. Each Infinity Stone was held by one character. So, in MPQ, each infinity stone is won by the number 1 player in each bracket per season.

You might ask, "Why not make it in such a way that only 1 player in the game get the stones?" It would involves lots of changes to the codes, perhaps.

Anyway, I guess Marvel is protective of their IP. It's probable that Infinity Stones was originally designed to be given to top 5, 10 or 25 by the developers (Demiurge) in the beginning but Marvel didn't agree to it because it doesn't represent accurately the rarity of Infinity Stones. 

658 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    edited May 2018
    I remember a couple years ago @Demiurge_Will said that one of the reasons they didn’t add additional progression rewards was to keep the completionists happy.  I see his point now.  Does it really matter that a few people are going to get an added reward?   It’s not going to negatively affect anyone who doesn’t get them, and it probably makes the season a little bit more interesting for the most competitive players.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Having to defeat different combinations of the same 6 tired Dark Avergers 45 times or more per day doesn't reflect anything in the Marvel Comics Universe accuately. At some point they would have been beaten, then beaten to death, then beaten to a substance resembling tomato paste. They certainly wouldn't be getting stronger and healthier immediately after the Hulk gives them a free colonoscopy but here we are.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    snlf25 said:
    Having to defeat different combinations of the same 6 tired Dark Avergers 45 times or more per day doesn't reflect anything in the Marvel Comics Universe accuately. At some point they would have been beaten, then beaten to death, then beaten to a substance resembling tomato paste. They certainly wouldn't be getting stronger and healthier immediately after the Hulk gives them a free colonoscopy but here we are.
    I hadn’t realised Banner was that kind of doctor. It really is thoughtful for him to be looking after the well-being of the dark avengers’s bowels. TIL. 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    tchipley said:
    What is the point of even advertising them if only 1 person is going to get them?

It doesn't entice me to play more because I know I will never take 1st place.

I find it to be more aggravating than anything else.

I sure hope they come up with an alternate way to get them.

Please somebody tell me something good about this.
    Untrue. It's not 1 person getting a Stone. According to bracket count of last season there will be 17 players out of 70,000 getting one.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2018
    Aee those meant for SCL 7 to SCL 9? Are there any group tracking SCL 1 to 6? I suppose the much lower SCL would have more brackets. We have easily 150,000 to 200,000 players in the game then? If you were to look at the press release by the developers, they mentioned 5 to 7 million players a couple of years back.
  • HoundofShadow
    I was going off-topic a little because I wonder how you guys track this stuff. Lots of coordination needed for sure.  :D

We still have other awesome supports and future supports coming out.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was going off-topic a little because I wonder how you guys track this stuff. Lots of coordination needed for sure.  :D

We still have other awesome supports and future supports coming out.
    SL6 isn’t tracked because they locked it out.   There is no point to track it. I dont remember the SCL that’s you are once SL6 locks out, but it is low. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards

Anyway, I guess Marvel is protective of their IP. It's probable that Infinity Stones was originally designed to be given to top 5, 10 or 25 by the developers (Demiurge) in the beginning but Marvel didn't agree to it because it doesn't represent accurately the rarity of Infinity Stones. 

Not sure that makes any sense. 17 Infinity Stones or so (per Season) doesn't reflect the rarity very well either.

It seems more likely that they just don't want this particular power up to be widely available right now, for what ever reason that might be.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    It's a slow roll out just like with 4*s , when they first came the distribution was similar . In a season or two we will start to see reward expansion . In a year or two we will all be selling multiple infinity stone dupes and chasing after the next new prize.
    Best to just ignore for now and see where it goes
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because it's a neat thing for those people and hurts the rest of us not at all.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Borstock said:
    I’d agree if it wasn’t for the power stone firing powers for free 1 out of every 20 matches ( probably better chance when leveled).  That’s a significant advantage in pve.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Once PvP includes supports it increases the likelihood that those who have taken 1st before continue to do so. Especially those that get the power stone. It seems ridiculously OP. 
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    Even if you were able to gather all the stones, there's no Gauntlet to put them in
    Maybe they should have run a Gauntlet every week for six weeks, and have the stones be the final prize.