Why is she called Captain "America"

2»

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    The real question is why didn't the super soldier formula turn her into a giant muscled Amazon? 
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    isn't she British?
    She is called Captain America because the British never thought she was fit to do anything other than serve tea and crumpets and do secretarial work. It's part of that British attitude that convinced us it was right and proper to shoot rather a lot of them back in the day.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    snlf25 said:
    isn't she British?
    She is called Captain America because the British never thought she was fit to do anything other than serve tea and crumpets and do secretarial work. It's part of that British attitude that convinced us it was right and proper to shoot rather a lot of them back in the day.
    Where to start with this one... how about this. If the British attitude to women was one of the drivers of the overthrow of colonial rule then why did it take over 100 years from independence until women were given the right to vote?
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my imagination, Steve Rogers died due to HYDRA sabotage. Tommy Lee Jones asked for volunteers, and all the soldiers in the company backed away. Disgusted, Peggy stepped forward to carry on the memory of the enlistee with the most heart. Donning his shield, Peggy fights to rally the Allies and carry on the selflessness of Captain America.
    No, he died because the ‘dud’ grenade Tommy Lee threw was live by mistake. It’s a much better story :)
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Nah. That's a "funnier, I guess," story (omg live grenade my bad lol lets get drinks), but if Rogers doesn't have any moments after the training grenade, there's no time to establish his character.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because honestly, what else are WWII GIs going to call someone who chooses to dress up in a stars and stripes themed costume? I'm new here, so...are we allowed to discuss the Exiles comic in which she appears and kind of addresses this question?
    Hi @CathexisZero ,

Welcome to the MPQ Forum! As a common courtesy we ask that anything that can be potentially considered a spoiler should be put in a "spoiler tag" like this:

You can find the spoiler tag function located under the Format button (that weird symbol thing) which is on the left of the smiley face or "emoji" button. Hit the Format button and it should be the last option.

Some people will even preface their spoiler warning to give a general idea of what lies hidden beyond like this:

Warning! Potential Classic Spider-Man spoiler! Read at your own risk!

Aunt May is the Golden Oldie.

But usually just a quick heads up giving a general idea of what the spoiler is related to is sufficient. 

If it happens to generate a discussion, feel free to have said discussion using the spoiler tag function.

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any other questions!