Why is she called Captain "America"

Spiritclaw
Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
isn't she British?

Comments

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I read that and it conjured a mental image of a tiny Uncle Sam bursting forth Alien-style. If only I knew how (and could be bothered) to make memes...
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,687 Chairperson of the Boards
    Think of it as a job title. If Arnold can be Governor of California, Peggy can be Captain America.
  • Spiritclaw
    It's posted during the now in comics celebration, so I don't think it's late.  Also, if I understand her origin she took over because Steve Rodgers died before becoming Captain America, so it seems a bad in-world source for the name.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Fairly confident there is no American inside me waiting to burst forth. Be that as it may, Peggy Carter is awesome :smiley:
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,550 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's posted during the now in comics celebration, so I don't think it's late.  Also, if I understand her origin she took over because Steve Rodgers died before becoming Captain America, so it seems a bad in-world source for the name.

I disagree, actually.   If we presume that everything else happened as it did in 616 and Erksine was killed as well, then the progression is logical - you wanted Steve (now Peggy) to be the volunteer as the first of the super-soldiers, but since there can't be any more of those she's more useful as a symbol of American power. With that, "Captain America" becomes a reasonable choice even though she herself is British.

If anything, the acceptance of a woman captain in that time period is less believable than an Englishwoman representing America.  Still, it's not completely unreasonable, and since the consumers of the media are modern, I think it's absolutely fine.

• Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    #NotMyCaptainAmerica  :p
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Captain Colony would be a terrible name.
    I’d take it any day over Captain Colon. 

Remember, nobody is to ask about Captain Colon’s special power no matter how curious you are. It took weeks to clean up the mess last time. 
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because that's the hero name she was given, she didn't choose it.. she was "birthed" into a hero of America!
  • Spiritclaw
    Riri is Ironheart rather than Iron Man, and the relationship between the two is still clear.  Captain Britain is taken (though at a later time period, I think) but Captain Freedom would work.  Any of a hundred other things would work, too.  In America, we might think being an American is great stuff, but I bet Peggy is just as proud of being an Englishwoman as we are of being Americans.

Name doesn't make sense.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    This version of her was also created as part of a Captain America big anniversary (75 years?)
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I thought this version of Peggy was American.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Just like in main Marvel continuity: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Margaret_Carter_(Earth-616)
    She was always American, at least before appearing in MCU.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...but Captain Freedom would work.  
    Clearly you need to watch "The Running Man" again.  Captain Freedom is taken.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,550 Chairperson of the Boards

GrimSkald said:

If anything, the acceptance of a woman captain in that time period is less believable than an Englishwoman representing America.  Still, it's not completely unreasonable, and since the consumers of the media are modern, I think it's absolutely fine.

Nah, there were many, many female officers in many countries around the world, doing just about everything except frontline combat. And in situations that became truly desperate (like the Eastern Front in Russia), they did that, too. One of the USSR's greatest snipers was a woman. 

Women were especially well-represented and accomplished in intelligence and paramilitary resistance operations ... which is right where Agent Carter as Captain America would be.

Excellent point.  She'd get some side-eye, I'm sure, but it's still very reasonable.

One of my favorite bits in the "Agent Peggy Carter" show was when she travelled to Europe to reuinite with the Howling Commandoes and her co-worker saw how they treated her.  As in, they treated her like a fellow combatant.  It was a nice scene.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    ...but Captain Freedom would work.  
    Clearly you need to watch "The Running Man" again.  Captain Freedom is taken.

You called?

• Spiritclaw
    edited May 2018
    Just like in main Marvel continuity: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Margaret_Carter_(Earth-616)
    She was always American, at least before appearing in MCU.
    Thanks! I looked her up on the marvel site, but must have looked at the MCU version.  I feel less annoyed now. :-)
  • CathexisZero
    CathexisZero Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Because honestly, what else are WWII GIs going to call someone who chooses to dress up in a stars and stripes themed costume? I'm new here, so...are we allowed to discuss the Exiles comic in which she appears and kind of addresses this question?
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Schoolboy error.  :D:D
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    In my imagination, Steve Rogers died in the Super Soldier process, due to HYDRA sabotage. Tommy Lee Jones asked for volunteers, and all the soldiers in the company backed away. Disgusted, Peggy stepped forward to carry on the memory of the enlistee with the most heart. Donning his shield, Peggy fights to rally the Allies and carry on the selflessness of Captain America.