May Q&A Session - Question Submission (5/7/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

It's that time again, where we ask the community for questions you'd like to ask Oktagon!

As per usual, in order to make it easy to collate and compile all questions, please keep them clear and concise. (Brief explanations are fine, but please no novels)

We will be closing the submission thread this Friday 5/11 at 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm UTC. We will then compile the questions, and send it over to Oktagon for review and answering. Once they have done that, we will format it and prepare it for posting in the forum.

Comments

• RagnarBatAxe
    RagnarBatAxe Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    When can we expect to see an increase in the ratio of time to rewards?  (ex. new, non-duplicate cards)
    When can we expect to see a way to speed up the game?  (ex. fast animations or fast forward option)
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Will MP come back to booster? Or will there be MP-only elite-packs? Or will be MP craftable? It's annoying to loose the "the one" MP and never get a hand even near of it. It's  annoying to get 500 orbs for 400 mana jewels as well. And I won't buy any more booster if I have all Common, Uncommon, rare and the majority of all mythics.

It's also annoying that not every set is available at the vault at any time. I won't buy IXL-booster if I chase for a SOI-mythic. 
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    There was talk several months back about Dev working on improving "Quality of Life" within the game. I know that the goal has been to catch up with Magic's backlog of releases, but I was wondering what these improvements are going to look like, and we can expect to see them?

With the number of events, formats and cards out there, it would be really great to provide each Planeswalker with (at least) a Standard and Legacy deck slot to begin with. Is there any chance that we might see additional deck slots as an event or Coalition reward? 

One of the nicer things about Coalition rewards was the bonus Rare prize given after events. We have seen these rewards disappear. Is this going to be norm going forward, or will you resume giving Rares as event prizes?

Will Mtg:PQ be diving in to some of Magic's back catalog? I think we would love to see some of the older sets converted into playable "cards".

There has been mention of Planeswalker and Card rebalancing. Is this something that R&D is still planning on tackling? We'd all love to see some of the more maligned Walkers get some attention.

How will Dev address the Event end time issues? There is considerable pain for some time zones when the event ends at 4:00AM.

One of the biggest "Feel Bads" in this game is grinding away for 400 Jewels only to get a duplicate Mythic. Do you plan to address this in some way?

Are there any plans to offer a resource converter? (i.e. 100 gems for 20 jewels, etc...) 

With the introduction of "Standard" format, Dev now can restrict cards/sets from deckbuilding options in events. Are there plans to add new "Limited" events? There would be great applause if we were to see things like block-specific, or even rarity-specific, events.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    When will you be caught up to paper magic?
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well first, if it's true that Dominaria is coming out later this month -- congrats and thank you for catching up!

My question -- Runes, runes and more runes -- even vets are having trouble keeping up with leveling PW (the PW released since February total 885K -- if the 2 Dominaria PW are released, that will be over a million in under 4 months) -- are there plans to make PW easier to level up or simply a fun and profitable way to grind for runes?
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Is there any plan to modify the current tier reward system?

currenty, Platinum players (myself included) get the best rewards. It’s fine in itself. Except it is creating an ever-widening gap between newer and older players. To me this is a huge problem is getting new player to stay in the game.

As an example, in TotP, Platinum is able to win back half their crystals. Gold don’t win crystals back and get 5 less pinkies. Silver 5 less pinkies than Gold. Let’s not mentione Bronze.

Same thing for Across Ixalan.

And so it goes for all PvE and PvP events.

The only one that has been sorted is TG, but those rewards are insignificant.

I see this as a major problem in for he game and don’t think it’s fair. Level out the rewards for all tiers and stop penalizing new players.

Is there any plan to fix this? Please leave an answer on this. Us veterans tend to forget this problem, but it is real.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Are there any plans to improve the new player experience? Many new players are getting bored/frustrated with the game due to the slow rate of acquisition of new stuff.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Since DOM will be coming out before we see any answers to this (probably), and the next paper set hasn't been released yet (as far as I know), could you explain what direction you are going to take the game now that everything is caught up to paper?

Will there be new types of events?
    Will there be new story mode content?
    Will there be planeswalker and legacy card balancing?

Will the Mana Loading Wheel come back?!?! (this is the most important question of all time, please answer me)

Thanks!
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    There is something that is long overdue for an overhaul in this game: Coalition management, leaderboards, coalition search, out of game experience, etc. 
    - We can't change leaders. 
    - Leaders that leave the game can't be removed even if the rest of the coalition is active.
    - We can't assign co-leaders like in other games. 
    - A player looking to join a coalition either has to already know the name, or drudge through 50,000 inactive coalitions to find one that is a good match (seriously, try doing a random search... the rank 23206, indicating a score of 0, pops up at least once per search). 
    - The leaderboard doesn't indicate anything of substance, just accumulated points (GoblinPile could go dead for a year and not fall out of second place).
    - we can't look at individual player event history
    - players lose their accumulated points when they change coalitions
    - We can't see a history of coalition event performance (the standings disappear after the event ends)
    - there is no in-game global chat, you can only chat with your own coalition
    - the battle log is ok, but we lack the ability to share a recording of how a battle went with our coalition to demonstrate how decks work, etc.

And the list goes on and on for basic game management features and experience that you would expect in a mobile game.  Are there any plans to upgrade the out-of-game experience?
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018

One of the nicer things about Coalition rewards was the bonus Rare prize given after events. We have seen these rewards disappear. Is this going to be norm going forward, or will you resume giving Rares as event prizes?

bken1234 said:
    Well first, if it's true that Dominaria is coming out later this month -- congrats and thank you for catching up!

My question -- Runes, runes and more runes -- even vets are having trouble keeping up with leveling PW (the PW released since February total 885K -- if the 2 Dominaria PW are released, that will be over a million in under 4 months) -- are there plans to make PW easier to level up or simply a fun and profitable way to grind for runes?

Babar:  Hate this forum quoting system. But they partially answered these in the last Q&A.  "Are Rare cards permanently removed from rewards moving forward? Why are some event rewards going down?
    No. Moving forward you will continue to see Rare boosters as rewards for events, as well as an increase in the Mana Runes gained."
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kudos to you guys for catching up to Dominaria!  I know it was a lot of work!

Now that you guys have caught up to paper, what will be your primary areas of focus in the coming months? 
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Could we at least...

bump training grounds to 250 runes so we don't have to grind Heroic Encounters?

have a rune bonus for mastering cards especially if your in platinum?

put masterpieces back in boosters as they aren't overly powered anyways?

have daily objectives or quests in story mode as its an untapped resource with many interesting battles?This would fill the void for people who would like to play more but not for people pressed to play coalition events.

have one pirate in Domininaria,please?

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aeroplane said:
    Could we at least...

Unfortunately, there are no pirates in Dominaria, at least none that I know of.  There are plenty in Ixalan, though, not sure why we would need more.

There is 1 dino in Dom, though, and its a pretty sweet one too, so there's that to look forward to.
    There may also be some merfolk (I think, can't remember), and at least one vampire.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Mburn7 said:
    Aeroplane said:
    Could we at least...

Unfortunately, there are no pirates in Dominaria, at least none that I know of.  There are plenty in Ixalan, though, not sure why we would need more.

There is 1 dino in Dom, though, and its a pretty sweet one too, so there's that to look forward to.
    There may also be some merfolk (I think, can't remember), and at least one vampire.
    I enjoy playing Vraska with her second ability making pirates fun to play with. Yeah , I checked the new cards and I didn't see a pirate , but I guess they are pretty restricted in following the paper game closely as possible. Merfolk and Vampires pool of cards keep growing and growing with the new set, though.
  • donvnny45
    donvnny45 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Awhile back, when Booster Crafting launched, there was mention of possibly having rewards that included mana orbs. This would be highly beneficial to the overall flow of the game. I think there should also be an option to convert mana runes to mana orbs like when booster crafting started. I personally don't need runes, nor do i find them too difficult to get even if i do end up getting Karn
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will we get more deck slots soon? 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    runes runes and more runes. what are your plans?
    what are your plans about does from elites?
    how do you intend to help new players?
  • Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    What are your plans for Origins? Will it still be Standard when the Core Set will come out? 
This discussion has been closed.