5* Remorse?

2»

Comments

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Just because you have a champed 5* doesn't mean you're obliged to use it.  Drop down to SCL5 and play with your 3*s for a few weeks instead.
  • mexus
    mexus Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2018
    Hi. Former player / active forum user here with a new profile used  mainly for stalking the forum.
    The foremost and biggest reason I quit MPQ those months ago: entering the 5* realm.
    What happened was me champing Thor. Great fun. Then I wanted Daredevil and Gambit as well, and I made (nearly) everything right: played like a mad-man (10 hours / week?) and payed heavy dollars. When having enough resources to fully cover my desired heroes, well, things didn't go my way, they left the latest pool and I thought:
    "I'm not gonna play this unfair game in its current state no more".

I quit. With 11 Daredevil and 10 Gambit covers, but a Thor I managed to add 5 champion levels to.

So the 5* thing made me quit the game. But do I regret it? That's one for you to discuss.

PS: MPQ sober for 3+ months now, no backlash.

PS. again:
    Mexus is still watching you. Everyone of you. All the time.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Hi. Former player / active forum user here with a new profile used  mainly for stalking the forum.
    The foremost and biggest reason I quit MPQ those months ago: entering the 5* realm.
    What happened was me champing Thor. Great fun. Then I wanted Daredevil and Gambit as well, and I made (nearly) everything right: played like a mad-man (10 hours / week?) and payed heavy dollars. When having enough resources to fully cover my desired heroes, well, things didn't go my way, they left the latest pool and I thought:
    "I'm not gonna play this unfair game in its current state no more".

I quit. With 11 Daredevil and 10 Gambit covers, but a Thor I managed to add 5 champion levels to.

So the 5* thing made me quit the game. But do I regret it? That's one for you to discuss.

PS: MPQ sober for 3+ months now, no backlash.

PS. again:
    Mexus is still watching you. Everyone of you. All the time.

If I had to pick only one of Daredevil, Gambit and Thor to champ, Thor would probably be it. Very fun to play and useful in both PvP and PvE. So I don't Think you were quite so bad off as you describe. And Daredevil might be champable with the bonus covers that got added to Kingpin's champion rewards, don't know what your situation is there.

I'll just repeat what has been said already: Like all other tiers of play, the fivestar realm is no fun when you first enter it, but as you keep getting more fivestar champions you get more and more options and the game gets fun again.

• maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I have no plans to enter the 5* tier yet, as I'm still working on champing all my 4*s (I think it's 46 so far). It's been very useful to read this thread. I think I will just raise my useable 5*s up to 320, if that is the "safe" level, and see how it goes from there.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm up to 63 of 66 champed 4*s, and I'm very happy to remain in this tier. None of my 5*s have any ISO in, and they will likely remain that way until they stop releasing 4*s. The 5* game has never appealed to me whatsoever. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not remorse for me.  More like malaise.  Every aspect of the game has gotten significantly more dull since starting to use 5*.  But if I sell them, there's not much point in playing, because I'm not progressing at all, just expanding laterally.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Another idea would be to not approach the game thinking "which of my champs will do the most damage and clear quickest," and go with the characters in the actual story.

Hearts of Darkness features Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Punisher, and Wolverine, plus the three loaners.  Use them.  Nobody else.  You can cycle between variations, bench the most wounded for a while, whatever, but that's your team.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

I'll just repeat what has been said already: Like all other tiers of play, the fivestar realm is no fun when you first enter it, but as you keep getting more fivestar champions you get more and more options and the game gets fun again.

I’ve been singing this same song though I will say the one thing that makes the 5 tier worse than all others is the lack of a boost list. With the exception of this week (which was very rough), I usually have. most all characters (sans the new release) boosted. This allows me to play varying combinations of characters. If this weren’t the case (as in the 5* tier) I imagine you just play your two best champions more or less every event. Even if you have 15 champs why would you play Phoenix or Widow or Cap or Rider instead of Gambit/Thor/Bolt? And you could say “well that’s just a problem with Gambit” but it was true when Panthos was the meta as well. You just play your fastest or best defensive combo. But in the 4-tier what that combo is changes drastically week to week while in the 5 tier it’s the same until the meta shifts. 
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I have thought about it yes.  My 3-0-4 gambit makes pvp a slog I don't like.  I went from hitting 575 every event and the occasional push to 900 to 300 and out (which Thanbolt makes slightly less of a slog).  Season I usually stop at 4K unless I need resources and again I usually only get up to 300 (if I get seed teams to help).  

I've been playing scl9 semi optimally and now without tapping I'm back into top 20 finishes.  Other than a couple events I can mostly get through the 5e node with undercovered and underleveled essentials.  5trange  or my 2-4-2 Thormerica usually work.  It is slowly getting better as far as PVE but I definitely don't like the PVP slog where I have to use the same team.  Playing semi optimally in PVE (I late start and do initial grind and end grind) using whatever team I want for each node and not caring how much time it takes to clear has made it fun.  I can use all of my boosted 4* and 3* and even use some of my unboosted characters to run teams with synergy.  

Once you get over the scratch and claw for every single reward "need" it becomes much more entertaining. Granted, I have more free time than most (I'm assuming) so 3 hours a day for Fun/interesting PVE is doable for me versus 1 1/2 to 2 hour of using the same characters over and over.  I say stick with it and bounce around PVE SCL levels as other people suggested.  PVP I have nothing to help as my 3 champed  5* are 5trange, Phoenix, and Thanos.