5* Remorse?

l_butler36
l_butler36 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
Anyone ever regret moving to 5* land and sell them to go back to using 4*s?  I've been considering it recently.

I've had Gambit champed for awhile and just champed 5* Archangel and Ghost Rider. In my short time transitioning to 5*s, I started to realize the game just isn't as much fun for me.  It definitely makes PVE easier/faster, but most of those matches I breeze through just on match damage and firing a couple of powers.  I really miss the variety of 4*s, and mixing and matching characters.  Using 5s for me feels like it has lost the puzzle aspect of the game.

And PVP is the same story...I have to use those three 5*s each and every time, while mostly going up against the same characters constantly (Gambit, Thor, etc).  

I wish there was a way to scale back my 5s to remove their champ levels and keep the covers.  But if I'm going to regain my enjoyment of this game, I feel like I need to either trudge through this repetitive period for awhile until I can cover more 5*s or bite the bullet, dump them, and go back to 4s.  It would suck to have to waste everything I put into those characters, and be locked out of their essentials though.  

I haven't decided what I'll do yet, but I'm curious if others have had 5* remorse and how they handled it.

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pve is easy. Pick a lower cl and run the 4‘s you want.  No need to sell your 5’s to experience the fun/variety of 4* play.  I can’t say I really want to go at scl9 with 4’s myself, so you are giving up rewards, most likely.

You could sell AA and GRRR and return to single 5 MMR if that appeals. However: You should theoretically get another 5 covered about every 6 weeks, and each one gives you more to play with and keeps things interesting.  You can also run boosted 4’s in PvP and see how it goes.

If you sell a champed Gambit you’re either done with the game or heading for massive regret.   Or both?
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Sell them off. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    No. I don’t regret it at all and have struggled to understand why so many other do. But different strokes I guess. 
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    4* period was easily the most fun and challenging period for me. The variety available was just amazing and the sheer number of 4* made it so challenging. I enjoyed it asuch as I could and moved to 5* only after I had close to 70-80% 4s champed (when the first 5* feeders were announced).

If you feel selling your Gambit would make it so that you enjoy the game better do it. However I do feel that the issue here is more related to the lack of roster depth in 5* land. You see champing 5* takes time and prayers to RnG. With a single 5 , you will depend on other boosted 4 in the team too. Now 4 work based mainly on power damage, whereas 5 based on pure match damage. That's why 5* transitioners sometimes feel they made a wrong decision And want to sell the champ. I would suggest working on another 5* to champ and see if it improves. Try for either 5thor or JJ

I started my 5, with Bolt. He was good but mainly an accelerant for other characters. Gambit had been released Recevntly and Bolt was a huge target. I then also champed thanos

After a season or so, I champed Thor DD and Gambit. Now these 5 characters in 5 star tier gave me enough variety which has been good for me. I even champed 5pp and 5BP. So yes, I do believe you need some time and champ another 5* to get fun back. I hear JJ is good. Try for Thor and JJ.

Good luck
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
     Using 5s for me feels like it has lost the puzzle aspect of the game.
    Easy: don't use them all the time. Try any team you want. And mmr isn't perfect for 4* land either, plus there's always a chance it changes.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, these threads pop up from time to time, so you’re not unique in regretting the leap. I haven’t seen someone talk about selling them off though. Just talking about missing 4* play. 

I’m in a position where I have 4 cover-maxed 5s, all of which are good (Including Thor/Gambit). I could easily add Angel/Robbie to those four if I cracked my baby hoard but am saving for Jessica (already at 6 covers). None of my 5s have iso in them for the reason many state, which is the 4* tier is a very fun, much more balanced, tier that promotes roster diversity via boost lists. I still need another 1.8 million and growing iso to finish out the tier, and over 5 million more to rechamped 3s.  And then there’s the 2 farm. So there’s plenty to spend on and always something on the vine in need of champing (or more often lately, rechamping). When I finally hit post-iso I’ll softcap my 5s.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    I am actively avoiding 5* land for the reasons state above.  Being forced to run one single character (not to mention the pain / cost of actually getting a fully covered 5*) is just not worth it to me.  Not until there is a consistent, reliable way to get them.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I regretted being in 5* land at first but now I'm happy that I'm there. I now have 9 champed 5*'s and I'm able to spend some ISO to get my undercovered Classics to at least usuable levels when they are featured while keeping up with new releases.

The thing is, once you are in 5* land, there is a consistent, reliable way to get Latest 5* covers, but you have to work for them. If you play hard in PVE (SCL 9), PVP and LR's, do your daily DDQ, hit your 2000 in Shield Sim, do the Shield Trainings... you should get enough LTs and CP to stay current with the 5* releases as they come out (as long as cover swaps continue to be allowed for Latest). 

But that takes a lot of play. And you probably want to have a token and ISO hoard before making the initial jump. Once I made the move I've fully covered each new 5* that has come out before they left tokens. I do spend on VIP but am not a whale. 

If you are a more casual player and totally FTP then it may not work out as well.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought about it, but then I got over it. Eventually there will be tons of 5 stars and I will be happy I started sooner rather than later. 
  • l_butler36
    l_butler36 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I've seen other posts discussing the pros and cons of the 5* transition...I was just curious if in fact anyone had gotten frustrated to the point that they sold their champed 5*s.  I'm guessing not many have.  

I probably didn't plan my transition as well as I should have.  I champed Gambit as soon as I could for obvious reasons, then did AA and GR recently as I have all but five of my 4*s champed and figured it was time for more 5*s (and I'm tired of using Gambit constantly).  I know I could still mix it up for PVE, but it's just more efficient to use them.  PVP is where it really starts to really feel like a grind...I have to use Gambit on top of facing him everywhere.  

I'm only one cover short for finishing 5* Thor and I'm about halfway to JJ, so I guess I'll just tough it out awhile longer until I can get some more diversity in my 5*s. 
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Never thought about that...
    5*s greatly helped me in PvE and since 5* node was added, maxing out 5*s became even more important. I abandoned PvP so i could play PvE "full time" (that means max progression loot) just when i was in 4* land, so nothing really changed for me (i was only proven right that abndoning PvP is good for keeping my frustration level low). And after SLC 10 comes in PvE, i think 5*s will be very needed.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Sell them

People think I’m joking in other formats when I say that.  But this thread is an example of why I say it.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    PVP is definitely not as fun I, you should be happy with the 3 you have at least they make you competitive.  PVE is better with 5's, I have though about it but too much effort and time went into collecting them.  It takes too long to recollect and if you change your mind you are stuck.  If you do decide to sell keep Gambit he is too good to get rid of and the pvp change is most noticeable when you go from 1 to 2 championed 5's so if you go back to 1 you may find thing enjoyable again.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have one champed 5*; Gambit. I get a good variety in PvP, but can also breeze through when I want. 

If I get another 5* cover I can't use without champing someone, I either start a duplicate, or just sell it. I have no interest whatsoever in the 5* PvP meta nonsense. 
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Join the Secret Society of Line Users, you can find plenty of ways to use other characters and entertain yourself with MPQ gossip.  You'll meet lots of fun people and some not so fun.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is what I would remind anyone looking at transitioning to a new tier.  When you first transition and get your 1st 2nd and 3rd champion of a new tier the game starts to suck.  You have to use that team over and over again in order to win.  If you don’t use that team you see how much harder the game is without those characters.  The only thing that makes it better is when you. Champion new characters that you can then use instead of you first champed toons.  The 5* tier takes much longer to champion a lot of characters and feel that relief.  I have gone through the OML, Phoenix meta, the Panthos meta and now the gambit meta and because I have been able to champion latest 5* the game keeps being fun for me.  Going backwards might seem like a good idea but in reality you are better off going forward and looking to get more 5* over going to 4* land.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    No. I don’t regret it at all and have struggled to understand why so many other do. But different strokes I guess. 

Early on it kinda sucks because you're stuck using whichever two 5*s you champed first (Thanos and Daredevil weren't bad choices for me, but Thanos means you need health packs).

You find yourself missing the wide variety of 4*s you used to use, or at the very least the to or three really good boosted 4*s that week in PvP. I used to check the update page eagerly to see what I'd use, but now I don't bother because I'll jsut use Gambit and Thor again.

It gets a little better when you get more 5*s and your options expand a bit, but getting 5*s is still very hit and miss. I really wanrt to get Jessica Jones going, not just because she's good but because I love the character. I've only got 3 covers so far. Haven't had a 5* from a latest legendary for a while.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dont regret it at all, PVE now takes half the time if I choose to with my 5*'s. There's nothing stopping you from dropping to CL7/8 and play with your 4*'s there if you miss them too much.

PVP wise...     Gambit sure isnt helping making me feel more positive since he's required in every fight and he's super boring to play. On the other hand, climbing is easier, hitting 1200 is much easier since you dont really need to rely on grills, you can just hit other 5* players for big points if need be. And no more weeks where the boosted 4*'s are **** or I did not have them champed.

Pvp (time-wise) is a pretty small part of the game so its not a huge deal to have to always use whatever's popular.

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you are missing playing with your 4stars after transitioning into the 4star tier, it means your 4stars are just too small still.
    What's your biggest 4star? Is it 300? 320? 
    When you get them 350-370 range, you can definitely run those weekly Boosted 4star alongside your Gambit (AA/Nova may be cool, but AA and HR just aren't that great). I've seen a lot of 4/5 combination teams recently from people with multiple 5star champs (A dozen or more). Medusa, Riri, etc.. Myself I used to run HB/Phx over OML/Phx back when I had only a handful of champs, but power creep has made Phx the weakest 5 (besides those that were plain 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    OJSP said:
    I know someone in the forum who sold their first 5* champion(s?), because they didn’t enjoy it initially. After playing in 4* MMR for several weeks, they eventually championed their 5*s again. I suppose having Gambit and Black Bolt ready helped to make that decision. Not sure how they feel now.. Care to share @Jarvind ?
    Guilty as charged. Here's the thread I made about the first 5* transition, if you care to read it.

I had originally champed OML, Black Suit Spidey, and Thanos. Thanos was the only competitive one of the three - BSS has been a joke for a long time, and it was after OML had received his nerf.

I sold them after 2-3 weeks because getting utterly curbstomped in PVP was no fun, and I didn't enjoy using the same characters all the time in PVE - at the time, PVE still scaled to your roster, not your clearance level, so even boosted 4*s were getting crushed by the insanely overscaled opponents.

I can confidently say that if PVE scaling still worked that way, I would still be softcapping my 5*s. Of course, what actually happened was that roster scaling was abolished like a week after I sold them, so I got screwed pretty hard by the "we never announce a damn thing" policy.

As @OJSP mentioned, I have since re-entered the 5* fray and I'm up to 8 champions - I actually just champed OML again a few days ago. I actually only recently got Bolt champed - for quite a while I was rolling with Gambit and Peter Parker as my go-to team. While having the current "meta" team available (god I hate that word) does make it easier, I will say that a lot of the original things that bothered me continue to do so:

- Lack of PVP variety. 95% of my matches are against Gambit, and of those, 95% have Bolt or Thor as the other teammate. The first time around it was Thanos/Panther, and I would argue that Gambolt is actually much worse since at least Panthos was weak on defense.

-  PVP scoring, counterintuitively, becomes harder. When I was using boosted 4*s, I could pretty consistently float at 600+, then make an easy push to 900 in the last 8 hours and get away with one shield. Now the hits flow in at a steady rate, since the 5* playing field is much more even, so my float point is much lower and I usually have to shield out lower than I'd like.

- Healthpack usage is off the charts. This has actually gotten far worse under the Gambolt/Thorbit regime than it ever was against Panthos. If you don't kill Gambit in 3-4 turns, you will lose a big chunk of health. It's borderline unavoidable unless you luck into a lot of red AP early. This, in addition to the fact that simple match-4s and -5s become devastating in 5* play, compounds the PVP misery even further.

Alllllll of that said, though, the change to PVE scaling has made the overall situation much better. Even though I still use Gambolt in most events just for the sake of speed, I do have the option to play with boosted 4s in most nodes if I want to, and even when I do use them, the third teammate is usually the boosted 4* who covers the most out of blue/yellow/black for actives. Also, if I really want to blow through an event quick, I can drop down to CL7 or 8 and use my 5*s to crush everything handily. At the end of the day, PVE is a much bigger time sink than PVP, so the dramatic improvement there has made everything much more bearable.

I wouldn't say I regret selling my original 3, exactly, because 4* play is still definitely the most fun part of the game. I just really wish I still had Thanos, since he'd make PVE even faster and now he's locked away in the Classic nether-realm.