What is your Sim climbing team? What is your defensive team?

Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
For initial climbing I used a smattering of teams:

- Carnage/Medusa/Various (saves on packs)
- Crawler/Riri/Professor (fun, silly team)
- Meh Hulk/ Shuri/ Iron Fist (fun and fast!)

But really, for like 1500 of my 2,000 points it was probably

- Red Hulk/Carol/Rocket

Just murdering the Guardiandusa trio littered throughout Sim. Thanks to all the players unwilling to switch it up!  The climb to 2K was super easy thanks to them, as those matches are less than a minute to compete. 

For defense I just put up what I think are the three most annoying/skipable characters in the tier (synergy be damned):

Carol/Vulture/Rogue

How about you?

I’m expecting a lot of Gambit/Thor/Other responses!

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pretty much ran my Gambit, Daredevil, and Vulture, for offense and defense. They are my only 2 champed 5*s and vulture is just annoying. 

I have Gambit at 3-5-5, Daredevil at 5-5-3 to maximise his heal and green, Vulture I go 5-3-5. All green goes to daredevil,  between vulture and gambit enemy special tiles do not hang around very long.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also end up using Carol / Red Hulk / Rocket & Groot a lot because of all of the Medusa / Gamora / Rocket & Groot teams. When I run out of health packs for Red Hulk, I switch it up. Sometimes to Carol / Coulson / Cloak & Dagger or Carol / Coulson / 5* Hawkeye, or whomever else has full health until I reach whatever my points goal was.

My defensive team is also just intended to be annoying enough to skip: Vulture / Rogue / Peggy.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Isn't your defensive team chosen for your by the game? I thought it was just the highest level team you had used to that point in the event. So, even if I wanted to use Vulture / Rogue / Peggy, I can't because I use Carol / De4dpool / R4G against all the Medusa / Gamora / Rocket & Groot teams, and they end up being my defensive team because they are higher levels. Right?
    The only way I could use 
    Vulture / Rogue / Peggy as a defense team would be to level them all past Carol / De4dpool / R4G
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    Defensive team, I believe, is the last team you won a match with in that particular event.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Defensive team, I believe, is the last team you won a match with in that particular event.
    That depends.

If you used 3 5* chars, 4s wont show.
    A mixture might.

3 4s can easily replaced by 3 other 4s and will show.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gambit / BPanther / Thanos - boring, I know, but hugely effective.  I like Thor a lot, but you just can't keep him below 50% health effectively in PvP like you can in PvE.
  • mega ghost
    I thought your defensive team was just the last team you won a match with? The only exception being if the person attacking you is doing so through a retaliation, in which case they face the team you used to beat them with.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I end up using Red Hulk, C4rol and R&G mostly because as stated above. 

I like to use C4rol, Wasp and Cloak and Dagger. I also like to use Cloak and Dagger, Vulture and Riri. This past season I tried to find some synergy with some of the newer 4*s but really failed except for  Lockjaw who's part of my defensive team with Medusa and Carnage.

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought your defensive team was just the last team you won a match with? The only exception being if the person attacking you is doing so through a retaliation, in which case they face the team you used to beat them with.
    It is.  So you might climbing using America and 2 5*s, but since you don't want her low health making you an easy target on defense, you win your last match with your "defensive" team so that's who others will have to fight.  Then when you climb again, you bust out America once more.
  • mega ghost
    Orion said:
    It is.  So you might climbing using America and 2 5*s, but since you don't want her low health making you an easy target on defense, you win your last match with your "defensive" team so that's who others will have to fight.  Then when you climb again, you bust out America once more.
    Thanks! There were some comments on this thread that made me concerned that maybe I'd been doing it all wrong. It wouldn't have been the first time.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Orion said:
    Thanks! There were some comments on this thread that made me concerned that maybe I'd been doing it all wrong. It wouldn't have been the first time.
    There's a whole science surrounding that, see "grills".
    If you're genuinly trying to have your strongest team on defense then this is how it works.

Not like defense exists in this game, anyway.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Almost 4 and a half years in and I still don't understand/differentiate between offensive and defensive teams. You climb with your best (hardest hitting) team and leave it in there...period. That's the team your retaliations will see, that's the same team anyone else will see when they queue you up during their climb. Right now, it's Gambit / 5Thor / America Chavez
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    My standard team now is 5* Gambit (435), 5* HE (435) and 5* Spidey (champed).  Sometimes replace Spidey with OML.  Gambit and HE are effective enough even though they're one cover short of champ, and they get hit less than any 4*.

For climbing, I will sometimes go OML/America, and I have specific characters for the rare occasions I see a grocket team (either De4dpool or <gasp> Kraven).  The 5*s are just as fast but only OML heals, so if I'm on an extended run I run out of health packs eventually.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Orion said:
    While I agree with your logic behind the distinctions, in practical application, the opponents likely finding you in Simulator will have the roster caliber to beat you all the same whether you leave America in there or put in a meatier 5* Daredevil / 5* Thanos. As a 5* climber, I'm not finding ANY retals from 3* or 4* teams.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I seem to have hit a really nice point in the 4* tier where I can actually use a bunch of different teams in Sim. Did most of my climbing either with C4ge/HoboFist/Medusa, America/Mockingbird/Vulture, or Riri/Medusa/Vulture. Pulled out Grockamoradusa a couple of times to take on Carnage/Medusa/Mr. Fantastic teams. I don't really pay attention to my defensive team in Sim, because it usually doesn't seem to make much difference. I think right now it's the America/Mockingbird/Vulture one, but I don't recall for sure.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Orion said:

While I agree with your logic behind the distinctions, in practical application, the opponents likely finding you in Simulator will have the roster caliber to beat you all the same whether you leave America in there or put in a meatier 5* Daredevil / 5* Thanos. As a 5* climber, I'm not finding ANY retals from 3* or 4* teams.
    Occasionally I'll retaliate against a 5* team with Vulture/G4mora just for the lols, to see if I can stun-lock them or deadliest woman one or two, but it ends poorly for me more often than not lol. Once I get Sandman to champ (waiting on iso, at lvl 209), I hope to have more luck with a stun/aoe on green and just let vulture battery the whole operation.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Gambit, rogue, and America... great on defense (annoying to play against, can win a few defensive matches) and still pretty good on offense. 

Also I thought that if won a match with a lower team, your defensive team is still the highest team you’ve used. Meaning... your defense team is the most recent team you’ve won a match with, unless that team is a lower power level than a team you have won with in the past. This eliminated cup cakes, no?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 said:
    Gambit, rogue, and America... great on defense (annoying to play against, can win a few defensive matches) and still pretty good on offense. 

Also I thought that if won a match with a lower team, your defensive team is still the highest team you’ve used. Meaning... your defense team is the most recent team you’ve won a match with, unless that team is a lower power level than a team you have won with in the past. This eliminated cup cakes, no?
    It depends on how much lower. If you've won with a 5* team and then win a match with a 4* team, the 5* remain on defense. If you've won a match with a ~280 4* team, and then win a match with a ~275 4* team, the difference isn't big enough for the system to care, and the ~275s will stay on defense.

I believe it gives some extra weight to Star tier as well as just raw levels, but that might just be for 5*, or I might be mistaken.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Almost 4 and a half years in and I still don't understand/differentiate between offensive and defensive teams. You climb with your best (hardest hitting) team and leave it in there...period. That's the team your retaliations will see, that's the same team anyone else will see when they queue you up during their climb. Right now, it's Gambit / 5Thor / America Chavez
    if you organize your roster a specific way, you can plan a defensive team that is super annoying because of the many animations that play. For example, a team of Medusa, Carnage, and Mr. Fantastic isn't unbeatable by any stretch, but the animations are long and tedious. As long as you keep your roster soft-capped, and to where this team represents a reasonable representation of your "strongest" characters, this is a team you might not use on offense but would absolutely leave on defense.

That is, until they programmed in the option to skip animations.

But I think the general idea is the same on "defense". It's why a lot of people try to leave Gamora and Grockett on defense. It might not be your best team, but it causes instant damage. That team is easily beatable, but it might bring your health down to the point where you have to use a healthpack. Maybe you don't want to. So, you skip that team and elect to fight a team that can only do significant damage once they've collected enough AP to fire powers. There's reason to NOT use this team on offense, while reason TO use it on defense.

To answer the OP, I have a champed G5mbit. I use him plus two of BBolt, Rogue, and Peggy. I usually try to leave BBolt on defense because it tends to ensure my defensive G5mbit gets at least one Red shot in. I also tend to skip BBolt-Gambit pairings for that very reason. It's too easy for the AI to hit me with Gambit's red on charged tiles.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    A good defensive team is one that is "ai proof." Rocket/Gamora/Medusa is going to hit hard even by making the dumbest possible matches by default, so they are a good defense team. Anything that can win commandingly if you attack certain people or fire powers off in the correct order is going to be a strong player-commanded team but probably get stomped on defense because the Ai isn't going to use them properly and it'll just flounder.