Time to drop the hoard?

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
So... NewCap, Jessica Jones, and Ghostie? Or do we wait for Ghost Rider to leave the latest three and hope the next 5-star is better?

I want to cover JJ. NewCap looks interesting. Not sure about Ghost Rider.

Comments

• Pezman
    Pezman Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I’m at 11 covers on rider. My goal is hopefully cover him quick then hoard. I’d like for sure to do JJ and cap. 
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you have thor, you absolutely want JJ. Such a good pairing.  

If you have held off this long, you can wait another few weeks, see what the numbers are on the next 5*.  There will be a two week window from when the numbers drop before they hit the LT's, you can pull then.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

My Ghost Rider is 5/2/2.  His green is both better and worse than I originally thought, to be honest.  It's better in that it tends to do a lot more damage than I thought it would when they go off - the multiplier ramps up the damage nicely.  It's worse in that it almost never earns the full 3 AP per Repeater tile and they end up on the bottom doing almost nothing.  On the other hand, it's not an expensive power, and you can kind of spam them after a bit.

His red and black are both in the "fair to middling" category, I think, but it's hard to tell at 2 covers.  All in all I'd peg him strictly middle of the road.  There may be some good combos with him, but I haven't found anything that really sings yet.  GG isn't bad because he fortifies repeaters and they only overlap one color, but mine sucks (2/3/1,) and I suspect it's not that good...

I don't have a great impression of JJ.

In general, I'd be very surprised if they introduce anyone as game-breaking as Gambit, so if you can cover a character before they leave latest, I'm not sure that hoarding is the way to go.  I'm only really hoarding because my Archangel is 458 and he doesn't need to get any higher, really.

• Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I’m likely to wait for the next 5.  If you have been covering them as you go(and have the important 5’s) it seems as though only JJ has unique enough powers to be usable.

GR’s repeaters are just worse than 50% Thor at doing the same thing.

Cap is a purple/red user in a gambit world. His red could prove to be great for nuking massive 5E health pools but he looks unusable in pvp(where the levels over 450 matter)
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm going to wait to see the next 5* after Cap before I make a decision.
  • RTA3000
    RTA3000 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    How do you guys have so many CP to acquire/champ these characters?
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Either patience or buy clubs. I am in the former group, just wait till there's a character you really want and save up CP. Hit max completion in PvE, PvP, you'll make 150+ CP a week ignoring champ levels and VIP bonuses. And then add in LT from DDQ as well, once every 5 days.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    I don't spend it.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    VIP plus full progression will get you about 20 pulls per week
  • Dormammu
    Options
    I've only got roughly 150 pulls between CP and LTs at this moment, so I'll continue to hoard until we see the next 5-star release and see where I'm sitting then.

I'm still a 4-star player and plan on staying that way for a while, but a fully covered (albeit level-capped) Jessica Jones intrigues me. I love her blue.

Just curious what the other hoarders out there have been thinking.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have around 235 pulls currently available and also have a huge hoard of Standards, Elites and Heroics so could likely get near the magic 300 pulls if I was so inclined.

I'm already well into 5* land and have Gambit who is a must run.  NewCap has next to zero synergy with him so unless the overdue nerf happens I can't see this being the time for me.  I do however really want JJ so it might be I pull for JJ, NewCap and whoever the next 5* is.  

If the next 5* release isn't great either, I guess I'll just to have to miss out on JJ and hope there's another game changer before I get more bored and either quit the game or have an impulsive mass token opening session.

• evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    RR is not bad, hes just kinda of irrelevant , you'll almost never use him in pvp and likley only use him when boosted or maybe boss fights? if he had different colours he would get more use
    JJ is the real deal , she totally kicks rear big time and very fun to play in pvp and pve
    Cap looks good , really wish that his purple was blue instead , his red is serious , but the yellow is very situational , you'll probably end up using him minimally in pvp with an almost dead DD or OML, but I don't think he will change the meta there.
    I plan on pulling till i get the last 2 RR covers and at least 1 cap cover, the sad part is I really want JJ to be as beefy as possible but I'm just not feeling it for cap or RR, so back to hoarrding after
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have around 235 pulls currently available and also have a huge hoard of Standards, Elites and Heroics so could likely get near the magic 300 pulls if I was so inclined.

I'm already well into 5* land and have Gambit who is a must run.  NewCap has next to zero synergy with him so unless the overdue nerf happens I can't see this being the time for me.  I do however really want JJ so it might be I pull for JJ, NewCap and whoever the next 5* is.  

If the next 5* release isn't great either, I guess I'll just to have to miss out on JJ and hope there's another game changer before I get more bored and either quit the game or have an impulsive mass token opening session.

If you have thor, then get JJ.  I havent used gambit in pvp or pve since i got her.  The only pvp teams i skip now are gambolt, and that is just to save health packs, not because i can't take them.  
    Thanks for the advice.  I knew JJ was solid but have only fought her boosted so far so haven't really gotten the measure of her yet (haven't played any PvP this GPQ season).  Having the potential for her blue hitting definitely does add an edge to the game though, especially as when boosted it was close to one-shotting anyone who wasn't at full health.

I'd definitely like to get her champed but not if both the other 2 in packs with her are low-mid tier which seems to be the case with either AA/RR/JJ or RR/JJ/Cap.  Fingers crossed whomever replaces RR is more relevant.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Marvel already announced the next four: and following the 5-4-4-5 it would be :
     Iron-Spider
    third times the charm? i'll bet you two yelenas to your bagman that he isn't the gambit counter

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm really hoping he isn't a 5*, we're already missing a 4* Peter. And 3 on one tier is just stupid.

I'm at about 200 pulls and find myself wondering if I should go for RR, JJ, Dirty Cap or wait on the next 5*. I've only got two 5*s fully covered, Phoenix and Peter Parker, so if the next one is another Peter it'll be pretty deflating.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I pulled about a dozen or so from the Covert Ops from my CP horde.  I got two Black Widow covers, bringing her to 4/4/3 (although woefully underleveled) and a Purple Cap.  All of the four stars were usable, thankfully.  My America is about a 3/2/8 right now, which is starting to tick me off.
  • Polly_P1
    Polly_P1 Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    I am at 220, and Really want to cover JJ. But I am going to hold off until I get as close to 300 as I can before.  Likely after GR leaves
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm planning to open my hoard when AA leaves.  I've decided to do this for several reasons:
    1. I like this Rogers and think he will pair well with DD who's my favorite 5* right now.  
    2. Sharon Cater is my best support currently at rank 4 and it would be nice to have a 5* cap usable to attach her too.
    3. I'm pretty much out of the 4* covers game and everything will be usable.  Gone will be the time of hoarding for fear of unusable 4* covers which makes hoarding less required.  On top of this with the advent of 5* feeders IMO it's less of a major issue if you don't fully cover every 5* before they leave, as long as you have them with at least 7 covers in a good spread a feeder can eventually finish them without chasing Classics.  I want to do a run of non-hoarding and see how many covers I get from the characters vs the hoarding strategy to determine my long-term strat in this post 4* world.
    4. I want to do another analysis of what my current daily income is now that I regularly hit 1200 in PvP and virtually all 4*s are usable.  I would like to get numbers from both Hoarding and non-hoarding for comparison.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wouldn't you rather they go to classics covered/champed vs unusable? Anecdotal evidence only, but opening latests has got me everyone before GR mostly covered. I just don't think hoarding for another 5* to leave would be that helpful if it means a 5* is forever useless.
    I've hoarded for a little bit, opened enough to get 1 JJ cover and then blew it all on Cap, but have 20 LTs saved for when AA leaves. I'll go back to not hoarding and see how I do