New Perspectives on New Perspectives

2»

Comments

• DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    BenRama said:
    Honestly - I'm going to miss Shefet WAY more than NP. 
    Me too a little bit, but as the cycle wore on I found myself wanting to play reason///believe in basically every deck I was playing Monitor in, and hitting a monitor on believe is so blah that I started leaving him out. I found the only deck I was still playing him in was Kiora cycling, and I took that apart because A) it's boring, and B) my wrist was getting hurting.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    I like cycling, because it's effective. But baral was effective to and something will in thr future. I have enough cards and can build fast decks. And if I see an interesting strategy I can adapt. But when it comes to perfect score cycling is still the champ.

I hope there will less perfect score and a wider meta after rotation. 
  • donvnny45
    donvnny45 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    DumasAG said:
    DumasAG said:
    Another perspective... cycling rotating means less free wins against cycling opponents.

Ultimately, super happy that cycling is leaving. It was a terrible mechanic that was completely one-sided.
    I'm thankful it allowed me to beat Bolas before booster crafting was a thing.
    The PVE Bolas? You don't need cycling for that, you just need Ob Nixilis and no creatures :D
    And here I am using Chandra 1 with no creatures. 30-40 turn average  :D
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    @donvnny45 How big is she? The best I've heard is someone winning with her only at level 36, but yes took forever!
    If he wasn't doable with her I'd be complaining because the basic 5 need to be able to do _most_ things.

But now we have Azor's gateway as the new barrier and I haven't been able to do that with the basic 5 and a small collection yet...
  • donvnny45
    Kinesia said:
    @donvnny45 How big is she? The best I've heard is someone winning with her only at level 36, but yes took forever!
    If he wasn't doable with her I'd be complaining because the basic 5 need to be able to do _most_ things.

But now we have Azor's gateway as the new barrier and I haven't been able to do that with the basic 5 and a small collection yet...
    Oh she was MAX, i needed her 3rd ability to get through it.
  • donvnny45
    donvnny45 said:
    Kinesia said:

Oh she was MAX, i needed her 3rd ability to get through it.
    Kinesia said:

Also, it can be done with a basic 5 but very difficult with a limited collection. you need some serious cards to make it work with either Jace 1 or Gideon 1. The only way to make it work with Liliana 1 i've seen is with some specific discard/exile stuff 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Kinesia
    Most content? Maybe. The last boss of the last node of a pve event, designed to be a challenge for advanced players in an advanced meta? Certainly not.
     I miss the days when I wasn't able to beat everything - if you're able to win these fights with basic pws and a limited collection, then you've got no real progression for the later game.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Laeuftbeidir I partly agree, partly disagree... I don't think things should be limited so they can be done by the basics, instead I think there are enough possibilities and creativity amongst people that the more we learn the more ways we can do stuff.
    Even this last week people had SO many more ideas for beating Azor's than first time and some of them are doable by the basics.

And I totally agree with the "I miss the days" bit... Doing b4t with my alt and main were very different experiences and the alt was more fun even though it was more work and I didn't get as far. (But both were fun, just different ways!)
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    @Kinesia
    Most content? Maybe. The last boss of the last node of a pve event, designed to be a challenge for advanced players in an advanced meta? Certainly not.
     I miss the days when I wasn't able to beat everything - if you're able to win these fights with basic pws and a limited collection, then you've got no real progression for the later game.
    The days of not being able to beat everything are not gone, friend, the difficult bosses just aren't clumped together.

For the most recent PvE, it's not the final sphinx boss that's the most challenging, but the (obvious) Azor's Gateway and all of the vampire swarm/lifelink bosses
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    I will not suffer when we all say goodbye to NP and all the cycling hype.

I hate cycling.

Admittedly, I use it only on Azor’s Gateway in the BoFT. Other than that - it is the worst mechanic in the “game” and I DO NOT USE IT! True, it’s almost a guaranteed win. But there’s no fun in it so I’d rather lose and rank low than pretend to get joy out of something that is just downright boring.

Maybe not a new perspective on New Perspectives. But I know I’m not the only one who will be glad to see this go.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    We shouldn't forget as well that the balance of the in-game currencies is quite complex, particulary when you also consider the effect when new sets take longer or shorter to get dropped.. I don't think there was greed involved (not more than usual. This game is a business) . I think they just rushed to get on schedule and didn't realize the effects this would have - I assume more / more rewarding events will be coming once they're caught up.. And hopefully they'll give us the rares back.