New Perspectives on New Perspectives

ElfNeedsFood
ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
edited April 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Given the other threads about meta-bending cards that shouldn’t exist, perhaps we should talk about how New Perspectives has single handedly warped the meta.

It’s to the point that I’m afraid we’ll have a whole class of players that “grew up” on cycling that rage quit when New Perspectives rotates out of standard....  Not. Another. Strategy. 

Comments

• ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Most people didn't seem to agree with or like my opinion on the situation so I'll leave it at that. I just hope it rotates with Dominaria.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree Elf, it's going to be an issue... Those in coalitions can be reassured and helped, but the people who don't read the forums or have huge groups of other players are very likely to give up.

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    It will rotate out soon, then it can haunt legacy which deserves it.
  • Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Yeah good riddance to cycle but I will miss the embalm/eternalize in standard. The crazy thing is, if they had just fixed new perspectives, it would not have been so dominating. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Yeah it's a good card.  But only optimally good with cycling, which we've already established time and time again is not a fun way to play.  Otherwise it's a runner up to Pull from Tomorrow, and not a table-turner like cards like Captivating Crew.

I'm looking forward to it moving on to legacy, we all are.  Now let's move on, this topic is beating a dead horse.

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    It will rotate out soon, then it can haunt legacy which deserves it.
    Is it confirmed that Amonkhet stuff will rotate out when Dominaria Drops?  Thats not how paper standard works, and I thought we were following that here (kind of).

@Brigby do you have info on the Standard rotation?  Or is that covered in the Q&A that should be out this week?

On topic though, New Perspectives is only really broken with cycling (which is a meh issue since the AI can't do it), and the cycling mana spells .  Otherwise, its just a nice cheap draw 3.  There are definitely other options I like more (Reason/Believe comes to mind first). 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s also very handy in ID decks. When Baral rotated out - a lot of people put in NP and cheap cycling spells to trigger ID. I agree it will change the meta of the game when it rotates. Several of my coalition members are working hard at adapting their play style now so they don’t feel the burn as bad when it rotates. 
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    every time a rotation occurs the meta changes, it's'natural....
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    I look forward to it.  Back when Avacyn's Madness and RATC came out there were some objectives I simply wasn't willing to attempt.  Other players could potentially complete them which gave them a scoring advantage.

In BoFT, it's like... well 5.1 seems really hard.  Guess I will just cycle drakes and get full points automatically. Boring, but oh so effective. 

I feel bad for the players that have used it as a crutch their entire life, but hopefully they have built a strong enough collection on the back of cycling to at least be competitive.

• FindingHeart8
    babar3355 said:
    I look forward to it.  Back when Avacyn's Madness and RATC came out there were some objectives I simply wasn't willing to attempt.  Other players could potentially complete them which gave them a scoring advantage.

In BoFT, it's like... well 5.1 seems really hard.  Guess I will just cycle drakes and get full points automatically. Boring, but oh so effective. 

I feel bad for the players that have used it as a crutch their entire life, but hopefully they have built a strong enough collection on the back of cycling to at least be competitive.

I'm less sympathetic as they'll probably have more fun outside the safety of cycling.

Builds mtgpq character too *grunt*
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Another perspective... cycling rotating means less free wins against cycling opponents.

Ultimately, super happy that cycling is leaving. It was a terrible mechanic that was completely one-sided.
  • FindingHeart8
    DumasAG said:
    Another perspective... cycling rotating means less free wins against cycling opponents.

Ultimately, super happy that cycling is leaving. It was a terrible mechanic that was completely one-sided.
    I'm thankful it allowed me to beat Bolas before booster crafting was a thing.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    DumasAG said:

The PVE Bolas? You don't need cycling for that, you just need Ob Nixilis and no creatures :D
  • FindingHeart8
    DumasAG said:
    DumasAG said:

The PVE Bolas? You don't need cycling for that, you just need Ob Nixilis and no creatures :D
    Yeah...I didn't know this at the time lol.  Late to the party :D
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    DumasAG said:
    DumasAG said:

Or HUF Approach.

Back on topic, maybe you weren't playing yet but New Perspectives was pointed out as a problem even before Amonkhet even dropped. They just refused to change anything about the card or cycling. 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    I don't think people when cycling rotates out, by now it's something cyclers expect sooner or later.
    I would have been more harmful if it was nerfed instead of letting it rotate.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Yeah.  I suppose my point was that the meta is always changing.  New Perspectives bent the meta way more than the cards people worried about. In fact, an any color walker probably changes the meta more than any of the other cards mentioned in the other threads. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until joining a bigger coalition I couldn't even _get_ to Bolas. Knowing to play creatureless made it easy even with basic Chandra, but some of the fights on the way to him were still hard and occasionally gave random defeats.

The walkers are changing the meta too... Bolas and Vraska are huge adjustments but at least you get to see them coming.

I wish New perspectives only adjusted mana cost instead of adding mana, that single change would've fixed so much.
    I use NP myself ALL the time especially in Bolas but I don't cycle a single card, it's for mana and draw and it bugs me that it's so useful for an unintended purpose.
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    This is absolutely going to happen . Since kld and aer rotated, it's cycling decks everywhere. It's going to be interesting