What with the pvp

Ebichu
Ebichu Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
Pvp broken?
Yes I posted saying so a few weeks back, now it's even worse!!
I could play in level6 before, had some tough times losing tons of point to full 4 or 5* teams with my 3* roster but with some effort I managed to be in top 10 sometimes even first..
Now it just turned out stupid, since the new season started am locked out of lvl 6,WHY?
Am stuck at lvl 7 minimum, and the first event of the season is ending, the first in ranking has over 3300 point for the event!!! Max i managed since i play the game is a bit less than 900points!
My roster still is 3* around 175lvl, of course the 10 first are 5* and some max lvl ones at it!

What is wrong with the dev? I compared the pvp to world of tanks in another thread, like playing with a tier V tank in a tier X battle, now I feel like a fiat punto in a tier X battle!

Isn't there an easy way to fix this? Why locking me out of lvl 6 when people with full 5* roster aren't locked out of 7 even!
Is there some kind of punishment for winning a pvp event, making sure you can't win anything for the months to come?

Can a dev at least explain what's their train of thought on how they designed the lvl in pvp, which they don't even make sense.. In pve lvl means the lvl of the bots, easy to understand, in pvp what lvl even means???

Hope i can see a bit more clearly cos right now it's just a big frustration

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    What is your Shield Rank?  You crossed the secret level where you are forced to join SCL7 or above. This has never been communicated that I recall, but it was noticed by players a few seasons ago.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Welcome to the big leagues.....

It was communicated, I'll try to find it
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2018
    PvP should be based purely on damage (with some bonus if you win)... period (or maybe you can fing better system, i cant :D ). Everything else causes that PvP will be sooner or later unplayable and i will tell you why:
    1. Ballance - Characters are naturally unballanced, especially when combined with other characters. 4* and especially 5* are multipling this problem. If supports will be implemented into PvP as well, it will add few nails into a coffin.
    2. Effort vs. rewards - PvE does two great things: a) More powerful characters means you can reach higher SCLs and get better rewards, b) More powerful chars allow you to do PvE faster.
    PvP does this the opposite way - with stronger roster you are fighting stronger enemies with... basically same rewards, since SCL has no effect on matchmaking.
    Both this problems will be (propably) multiplied with Supports, so, briefly said, the better roster you have, the longer PvP matches takes, the more frustrating they are, and with lower win rate.

With damage based PvP, you would not care much about skipping opponents to find the weakest ones, about fear of losing game (since even during lost match you dealt some damage), and about a better roster (since better roster = higher damage).

I am afraid PvP will be the main source of Support stuff, which would make this problem even more urgent.
  • bluewolf
    @Milk Jugz. Yeah, you’re right.  That’s what happens when cats wake me up all night. 

S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels 1 through 6 will now have both minimum and maximum S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks. The ranges are listed below:
    1. Rank 1 through 14
    2. Rank 7 through 19
    3. Rank 10 through 26
    4. Rank 15 through 31
    5. Rank 20 through 46
    6. Rank 27 through 68
    7. Rank 32 and higher
    8. Rank 47 and higher
    9. Rank 65 and higher
    So OP must be 69 or above now....
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cool, you found it. I was having trouble, then got pulled away
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Your SCL in PVP has nothing to do with the difficulty of opponents you fight. It's based on your roster strength. If your not joining the highest SCL you can in PVP then your missing out on better rewards.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    @bluewolf SCL 6 range is Level 27 to 64. So threadstarter's shield rank probably just hit 65. That's either a stealth change, an old range, or even a minor mistake.

@Shintok17 I think he's referring to those players in top 10 placement for each timeslice and bracket.

The difference between the rosters in top 10 placement of SCL 6 and of SCL 7 are miles apart. In SCL 6, it's meant for 3* land. SCL 7 is meant for 4* land and above. I've seen the difference between fighting for placement in SCL 6 and in SCL 7. You can easily get top 1 with around 800 - 900 points in SCL 6. This score will net you probably top 50 in SCL 7. It feels like a reduced rewards with the same score, at least to me. I can easily get top 5 in SCL 6, but with the same score in SCL 7, I'm in top 50.

Rank 2 to 5 Placement Rewards in SCL 6:
    3 3* covers, 4000 iso-8, 100 HP, 3 HT, 1 ET

Rank 26 to 50 Placement Rewards in SCL 7:
    2 3* covers, 2000 iso, 50 HP, 2 ET

It sounds like I've similar roster strength with the threadstarter, except that I'm 2 shield ranks away from being locked out of SCL 6.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Play in SCL 9. I place better there than I do in SCL 7, and with better rewards. Also, it's not clear if the OPer understands MMR determines difficulty of opponents, not which SCL is chosen. If you're seeing high level 4/5-stars as opponents it's because you've gained more points than other players with similar roster strengths - which would be worth too few points (there is a minimum amount of points MMR will match you up with) and you've probably hit your ceiling for that event.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    To the OP - you must have done something to trigger the higher shield rank...that doesn’t sound like normal rank for a 3* player.

Have you rostered and levelled 4*s/5*s?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rod5 said:
    To the OP - you must have done something to trigger the higher shield rank...that doesn’t sound like normal rank for a 3* player.

Have you rostered and levelled 4*s/5*s?
    Shield rank progresses naturally.  It has nothing to do with specific characters or tiers.  They just rostered/leveled/applied champ levels for enough points to push them to that level.

For those worried about that transition, you may be able to delay it by not claiming the rank-up bonus.  I don't think your rank officially changes until you claim it, so you could theoretically sit at rank 68 until you have enough xp to reach lv 200.  There's no point, though, because it doesn't change the opponents you see, just the scores you compete against.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Ebichu said:

What is wrong with the dev? I compared the pvp to world of tanks in another thread, like playing with a tier V tank in a tier X battle, now I feel like a fiat punto in a tier X battle!

But MMR doesn't ever let you see those tier X tanks (5* rosters) and they rarely if ever see you, you only really "compete" with them for placement.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    SCLs 7 - 9 are the only ones the high level players can play in, so they naturally hog all the highest placement rewards in those SCLs. I can see how Jarring it would be to go from SCL 6 to 7 and suddenly need to compete with fivestar rosters for fivestar rewards.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it might be worth remembering that Shield Clearance Levels and roster strength don't always correlate very well and this is largely in part to the disjointed way in which they were launched. In fact the changes in XP gain were supposed to help iron out this issue but probably haven't.

• Rod5
    Funnily enough I was in CL7 last event and the top score imb was 3.3k...wonder if it was the same bracket.

Good point about the participation XP, and thanks Calnexin for repeating what I said.
  • Quebbster
    Rod5 said:
    Funnily enough I was in CL7 last event and the top score imb was 3.3k...wonder if it was the same bracket.

Good point about the participation XP, and thanks Calnexin for repeating what I said.

It was a pretty perfect storm of things to drive scores up last event: New character release so there was more interest in placement rewards, new season started and people wanted a high score for a good start, and with the boss battle going on there was not much else to do for the big Alliances that finished early.

This would of course be most noticeable in SCLs 7-9 where the big rosters play.

• bluewolf
    Quebbster said:
    Rod5 said:

It was a pretty perfect storm of things to drive scores up last event: New character release so there was more interest in placement rewards, new season started and people wanted a high score for a good start, and with the boss battle going on there was not much else to do for the big Alliances that finished early.

This would of course be most noticeable in SCLs 7-9 where the big rosters play.

To add fuel to the fire, top players didn’t get an alliance cover for Jubilee and may have played even harder for her covers in PvP.
  • Rod5
    I think Jubilee will be a popular character regardless of if she’s actually any good. I went CL7 to make sure I got one, and T5 was well over 2k there.
  • Quebbster
    Rod5 said:
    I think Jubilee will be a popular character regardless of if she’s actually any good. I went CL7 to make sure I got one, and T5 was well over 2k there.

Only 2K? Sounds like you got an easy bracket!
  • Ebichu
    Ebichu Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    well first of all thanks everyone who answered, it helped me out a LOT to understand how things work, I feel a lot better already

as a matter of fact I never understood what the shield level were (aside from the bonus iso at lvl up and the promo package sometimes), so yes am currently 68 (just upped from 67 when I wrote this post), now I understand why I'm locked out of CL6, it's a start..

and indeed it seems like I better try (we'll see how it goes) to go for a CL8 or even 9 and grab whatever I can there cos the competition in CL7 seems absurd compared to the higher rank somehow, I guess jubilee had something to do with it, but going over 3k for a pvp event seems to be pushing it..

so yeah it doesn't take away some of the frustration though from being able to compete for top places and being kicked into the passengers seats from one day to the other without any luck of getting back to a fighting spot in probably years now.. I'll see how far I can go in higher CL tiers, if I can get close to the rewards I used to get by finishing first in the 5 first at CL6, but the devs needs to realize how frustrating it is for players to be some kind of seed teams for older players..

btw for those interested here is my roster (minus a few covers here and there of course)
    https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/puppychu/

with that I usually manage to grab the 800 pts cover (before getting destroyed by rocket and gamora champions team), which is kinda stupid (that's what the world of tank comparaison was referring to, now just the 5* teams that indeed rarely crush me)... I had sometimes a boosted red hulk champ with I don't remember how many thousands hp against me, there is obviously some flaws in the MMR still

but yeah anyway thanks again for clarifying things, I'll try to check other SL just to see if I can get better rewards no matter my placement in the end

but I still open demi urge will address the issues of matching full 3* champs against 2 or full 4* champs vs 3 and so on.. or if they keep that going at least make it so that those defeat don't take away sometimes 30 pts per loss (and usually getting 3 loss in a row from the same player.. cos sure farming easy target why not)

Best,

• Quebbster
    Ebichu said:
    well first of all thanks everyone who answered, it helped me out a LOT to understand how things work, I feel a lot better already

as a matter of fact I never understood what the shield level were (aside from the bonus iso at lvl up and the promo package sometimes), so yes am currently 68 (just upped from 67 when I wrote this post), now I understand why I'm locked out of CL6, it's a start..

and indeed it seems like I better try (we'll see how it goes) to go for a CL8 or even 9 and grab whatever I can there cos the competition in CL7 seems absurd compared to the higher rank somehow, I guess jubilee had something to do with it, but going over 3k for a pvp event seems to be pushing it..

so yeah it doesn't take away some of the frustration though from being able to compete for top places and being kicked into the passengers seats from one day to the other without any luck of getting back to a fighting spot in probably years now.. I'll see how far I can go in higher CL tiers, if I can get close to the rewards I used to get by finishing first in the 5 first at CL6, but the devs needs to realize how frustrating it is for players to be some kind of seed teams for older players..

btw for those interested here is my roster (minus a few covers here and there of course)
    https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/puppychu/

with that I usually manage to grab the 800 pts cover (before getting destroyed by rocket and gamora champions team), which is kinda stupid (that's what the world of tank comparaison was referring to, now just the 5* teams that indeed rarely crush me)... I had sometimes a boosted red hulk champ with I don't remember how many thousands hp against me, there is obviously some flaws in the MMR still

but yeah anyway thanks again for clarifying things, I'll try to check other SL just to see if I can get better rewards no matter my placement in the end

but I still open demi urge will address the issues of matching full 3* champs against 2 or full 4* champs vs 3 and so on.. or if they keep that going at least make it so that those defeat don't take away sometimes 30 pts per loss (and usually getting 3 loss in a row from the same player.. cos sure farming easy target why not)

Best,

If you are mostly interested in progression rewards, it can be Worth it to enter PvP as late as possible. Sometime you may get a fairly empty bracket that won't have time to fill quite so much, giving you a better relative placement.

Of course, it needs to be balanced against the effort of playing at a higher tempo and possibly using more Health packs.