April Q&A with Demiurge_Will

Comments

• Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    @Demiurge_Will

As you look to restructure rewards in support of... um... supports, have you all considered looking at restructuring boss event rewards?

Consensus on the forums is that while boss events are unbelievably fun to play, the resource drain (especially in terms of iso) is a real downer and not close to what one would earn via a regular day of PVE.  I know this is a change that would go over huge with the player base and make us much more excited to kick some boss behind with our alliances! If you are planning to restructure awards anyway it could be a great time to add a much needed change there!
    Also, will they be added to the Daily Resupply?

Maybe look at revising some of the rewards there as well (my reward at day 1287 was a standard token, which is a BIG joke), and I doubt many players will really be bothered about getting a standard token after playing for 3 and a half years, I was under the impression the elite tokens were supposed to replace the standard tokens at a certain level.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    @Demiurge_Will

As you look to restructure rewards in support of... um... supports, have you all considered looking at restructuring boss event rewards?

Consensus on the forums is that while boss events are unbelievably fun to play, the resource drain (especially in terms of iso) is a real downer and not close to what one would earn via a regular day of PVE.  I know this is a change that would go over huge with the player base and make us much more excited to kick some boss behind with our alliances! If you are planning to restructure awards anyway it could be a great time to add a much needed change there!
    I would like to reiterate the request made in the first post. Please do not tag Demiurge Will. He knows the thread is here he doesn’t need notifications to remind him. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Demiurge_Will

Can the team look at the scaling on boss mission side nodes. I have a lower level alliance and the majority of them get locked out of the side nodes really fast due to the scaling being tied to refresh rates. 

Would it be possible to have the scaling tied to what round your alliance is in so people still have something they can play and feel useful in.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Could you walk us through the thinking that leads to a character getting buffed/nerfed?

You've referenced win rate as being a significant factor in your internal rankings, how important is that compared to other factors, like speed, cross-synergy with other characters, sustainability, or raw usage?  How important is PvE relative to PvP in this conversation?  Regarding OML specifically, his win-rate could be #1 on the list and he could still be unplayable under most circumstances, if it takes forever to win and he doesn't endure well from match to match.

(I don't actually care about the OML nerf specifically, I'm not trying to argue about it.  It's just the character that you happened to be talking about when you were discussing nerfs.  I'm curious about the process, not the justification for OML in particular.)
    Key metrics we look at are:
    - Win rates
    - Usage relative to ownership
    - How many resources players are investing in this character vs. others

And we look at player perception, including:
    - Sentiment about the character on the forums and elsewhere
    - How expert players at the company feel about the character
    - Where the character shows up in power rankings/tier lists
    - Comments about the character from reviews/surveys/player interviews

When those sources give us signals something might need to change, we ask:
    - From a pure numbers perspective, considered by themselves, is this character balanced? What assumptions underlie that and are they correct?
    - How's the meta impacting the strength of this character? Is the problem with this character secretly a problem with another character or another class of characters?
    - How is the way the meta is likely to change in the future going to affect this character?
    - If the character is too strong and that's causing a bad player experience, is there something other than a nerf that will help? Releasing a counter, or adding a buff to someone else?
    Why does win rate have such a prominent role here? I don't think win rates can possibly have a very big variance. The difference between winning 5 games in 6 isn't practically very different from winning 10 games in every 11, is it?

Or wait, do you mean win rate while in the AIs hands, specifically? 
  • Colognoisseur
    Will I don’t know if you still do this but it was mentioned years ago that you often deleted your roster and would start over as a new player would.

I wonder if you still do that how it changed from before you took a Crazy Taxi ride until you returned to MPQ?
  • dirk4mpq
    dirk4mpq Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    The point of these games beyond fun is to make money, correct?  I mean you to want people to spend real money to buy ISO8, gold, etc... Correct?  Let me explain.

I have all my 3* champoin level.  Cycle through my two star and a few 4* at that level.  No 5* yet.  When I first got the game I spent money to buy gold so that I could get more slots.  But have not spent any moneny for a long time now and do not see any reason to anymore.  What I need is 4* and 5* cards.  You have to have command points to get those. You can not buy command points.  I collect more then enough gold and ISO8 in my quest for a measle few command points at a time.  I can not imagine that some other players are not in the same place I am.  So as a business man I would suggest changing the design a little to encourage a little more profit on your end.

Also I am dissapointed that the game has adopted a element that only benefits the players at the top and no one else.  Shield Training.  The only ones who profit from this are the players that have all there 4* champoin level.  For the rest of us that are trying to get there just find it annoying.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    dirk4mpq said:
     What I need is 4* and 5* cards.  You have to have command points to get those. You can not buy command points.
    Sure you can. You just have to buy some ISO or HP along with them. They phrase it as a bonus when you buy one of those, but at a certain point, the "bonus" CP from a US$20 or higher purchase becomes the point.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I have a slightly more general question about the development, that may have been asked (framed differently). What one feature would you like to put in the game, if you could program it? Ignoring any upcoming things you may have on the ‘plate’ so to speak. And linked to that, what one character is ‘missing’ you’d like to have in the game? A lot of the questions are very valid, and quite technical about the game, but it’d be cool to know a bit more about the developers.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    dirk4mpq said:
     What I need is 4* and 5* cards.  You have to have command points to get those. You can not buy command points.
    What you're looking for is known as a buy club.  Join a temporarily alliance with people that also want to buy (a predetermined amount) and multiply the CP rewards from the purchase by 20.  So spend $100 get 140 CP (highest single purchase available).  They make a lot of money off this system from what I can tell, without the game feeling overly pay to win. 

I think they have a good balance, a little worried about supports being pay to win though, we'll see.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Is this grow rate of the supports any indication on future releases, or is this it for some time?

Pay for a vault pull with a 1/300 chance on a 1/10 chance for a rank 5 support. Is this the normal price we can expect going forward? 

And will we get some other interface to keep track of it all?
    - in roster, some icon if a support is attached, preferably also which support
    - in supports, show what toons they are attached to, preferably with the cooldown timer
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Was their any plan besides 3 new characters and a rehash of an old boss event planned for Infinity Wars?  I mean, is this it?  

If so, why? 

Where their restritions in this from Marvel? 

Why is Marvel Future Fight and Strike force doing tie ins and this game isn’t?  

Can you give us any information at all about this?  
    I think they spent all their time and effort creating supports and did a quick uninspired Infinity War tie-in as an afterthought. Supports have become an epic fail in the implementation and accessibility. From all the negative feedback at the beginning you would think they would learn, but then behold 300 item vault with 171 2* included. Way to celebrate supports and the Infinity War movie. Let's not talk about the 3 character release to tie into the movie that are alternate versions of characters that are already in the game from the 1* to 5* tier. So much potential for innovation and ways to refresh the game, but nothing. Very disappointed.  
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    I know you guys dont want tags in this topic, cause you promissed you would keep an eye on it anyway, but could you confirm this, preferably by providing answers to above raised questions?
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Colognoisseur I know you put a ton of work into this, is it worth doing a May one?  
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Colognoisseur I know you put a ton of work into this, is it worth doing a May one?  

Will did respond earlier in the month. It's worth a shot until there are no responses at all. At the very least, the developers are reading them, even if they do not respond.
  • Colognoisseur
    I'm going to try and get one up in the next couple days. Think I'll try and condense into general topics the forum readers seem interested in.
  • Jrlrma
    Jrlrma Posts: 65 Match Maker
    edited May 2018
    I have a question:

wouldnt it behoove the devs to spend time ensuring supports dont suck instead of worrying about fictitious  converstions youre having in your offices?

**Removed inappropriate language - Ducky
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why would you make the Infinity Stones only to the top 1 person in each SL for the season?  

How does this make sense for everybody else?  
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker

So... are we getting any Infinity War tie ins then?

Don't tell me Supports were the big event, surely there's more to come to celebrate the biggest film in the studio's history (and presumably this game's, given the prevalence of the license)?

This discussion has been closed.