April Q&A with Demiurge_Will

Options

Comments

• Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    For sure. There are a few games/companies. mostly in the PC world, that are doing community work that I really admire...
    Question back at the group - if you could transplant the community approach from any other game onto MPQ, whose would that be and why?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For sure. There are a few games/companies. mostly in the PC world, that are doing community work that I really admire...
    Question back at the group - if you could transplant the community approach from any other game onto MPQ, whose would that be and why?
    Great question.  I would give 2 examples.
    #1 supercell with clash Royale.  They mainly communicate through reddit and discord, but they come out with regular Q&A’s.  They also invite pro players and you tubers to their base of operation to go through updates they are working on and content creation to play test and get their feedback.  These visitors have to sign confidentiality agreements and if they were to spoil content are removed from posting YouTube videos about a their games and lose future supercell visits.  Another thing they do well is let the community know ahead of time when they want to do big updates.  They said in one Q&A they were aiming for a update in March but then announced later the update would come mid April.  Overall it is just strong communication.

#2 is battle bay through Rovio.  With battle Bay the community manager does a good job of putting contests out for the community to post videos and share fun stuff.  Another thing they have done is swiftly adressed community issues.  They had come out with a big update and there was a big loophole players could exploit.  When they fixed it they also reset the players who took advantage of it and announced it on the forum.  The devs have also been very active on the forum and their updates have really felt like they address the concerns of the community 
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I didn't see this in the OP list of questions: 

There was a test event a few weeks ago to address overtapping nodes in PvEs. Can you share any observations from that test, and if we should expect any more tests (or permanent changes) in coming weeks? 
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread!
    Have you ever considered doing live Q&A chats? 
    For sure. There are a few games/companies. mostly in the PC world, that are doing community work that I really admire, and one of the tools I see put to good use is live chat. I'm not sure whether that would be right for MPQ - it's seemed like many more people would rather check out a transcript of the video content we've put out in the past than watch it, and forums just seem more efficient - but there's some relationship-building that happens there that might be helpful.
    For me, at least, the big appeal of a live chat type interaction is the ability for immediate followup and clarification.

I think the best format for getting information out there is a quick response with a couple brief followup questions, at least compared to a single announcement that you spend a lot of time wordsmithing.

For the videos, I always checked the transcript and let other people do the watching, but when IceIX did the chat on LINE, the followup questions were where we really got the information that we wanted, and that made the discussion so much better.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's in a very different format, but Games Workshop (Warhammer, etc.) has really turned around their (previously very adversarial) relationship with their player base in the last couple of years. The key changes seem to have been mostly in terms of communication and openness.

Announcements further in advance (tho still with some vagueness because things don't always work out as planned), faster response to player issues with rules and game balance, and more frequent minor changes to fix those rules and balance issues.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    For sure. There are a few games/companies. mostly in the PC world, that are doing community work that I really admire, and one of the tools I see put to good use is live chat. I'm not sure whether that would be right for MPQ - it's seemed like many more people would rather check out a transcript of the video content we've put out in the past than watch it, and forums just seem more efficient - but there's some relationship-building that happens there that might be helpful.
    For me, at least, the big appeal of a live chat type interaction is the ability for immediate followup and clarification.

I think the best format for getting information out there is a quick response with a couple brief followup questions, at least compared to a single announcement that you spend a lot of time wordsmithing.

For the videos, I always checked the transcript and let other people do the watching, but when IceIX did the chat on LINE, the followup questions were where we really got the information that we wanted, and that made the discussion so much better.
    What kind of announcements would you envision live chat working out better than the traditional method of posting a discussion thread? Or do you see it as being in addition to that?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Brigby said:

What kind of announcements would you envision live chat working out better than the traditional method of posting a discussion thread? Or do you see it as being in addition to that?
    Not my question, but i would like to respond.

Maybe we don't need a live chat, but if you look at several announcements over the last year, they are posted late in the day, sometimes on a Friday, and that is the end of it.  If you look at those threads, there are usually plenty of questions that people have.  If we are lucky, you will still be on and respond that you would pass it on, and we may or may not see the response in a timely manner.  And not having the answer over the weekend before or during something new, is worse than just getting a 'no' at the beginning, imo.  I would like there to be more interaction during those times, at the very least.
    Like Spudgutter said, this could be interaction in the announcements thread.  We do have more interaction and followup in the announcements thread than we have in the past, and that's good.  There's often a delay, though, because we're not always asking for information that you have available.

My point was more that the original post in the announcements thread doesn't have to be perfect, as long as there are quick responses to questions.  It's touch to anticipate all of the questions that we might have, so coordinating the announcements with a small window of availability to answer some questions would make the most of the announcement thread.

Another component of the Q&A format that might be able to be provided in some cases is a little peek behind the curtain, whether it's some information about the underlying metrics that drove a decision (like we got with the OML nerf), or some commentary about how they expect a new feature to change the way we play the game.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Has there need any thought of updating season rewards?  

Example: 
    Prog in PVP is 1200. 
    10 PVP Events per season X 1200 = 12,000
    SIM Prog 2000
    10 PVP event prog 12,000 + SIM prog= 14,000
    Season Prog 10,000

It just feels like something is missing here and needs to be updated.  The 10,000 season Prog has been the same for as long as I can remember.  

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for answering questions!

Where's your favorite place for lunch? You sack lunch it or use that big game developer $$ and eat out?

Who's the most annoying co-worker? We'll keep the secret.
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    How much $$$ is red iso going to cost.  Will it allow for faster tapping?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't know as I'd necessarily say "rather."

Some of us (*raises hand*) want the transcript as backup. I'm happy to watch a video, but I can't always understand what's been said because of my hearing impairment. Having a transcript, or even an accompanying document that isn't verbatim quotes but delivers the same information so I don't have to go bother other people to find out what was said, is really hugely helpful to me.

For others, it might be a question of location. Consumption of video at work may not be feasible where a scan of a transcript is.

Other thing you could conceivably do to make the video content more attractive to viewers might be video sneak peeks of whatever it is you're discussing. So if the video is talking about a character announcement, an early look at how that character plays would probably catch attention. In the case of the supports feature, a dev talking about the feature while demonstrating on camera how it works would probably catch attention, and might even answer some questions pre-emptively. Etc.

You see that with some games, where the developers do preview streams with influencers/streamers to get the word out about something that's coming (new game, expansion for existing game, new feature, whatever); you don't necessarily need to go quite as far as that, but introducing content to the videos that goes beyond two people talking at the camera? That could be something.
  • Jrlrma
    Jrlrma Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    Lystrata said:
    Is there any plan to review/revise roster slot costs at lower levels?

I know this isn't an issue for most forum players anymore (certainly isn't an issue for me), but a lot of newer players that come through my alliance end up quitting because of the roster slot expenses - and there's 0 advice I can give about that.

Either they hit a paywall that even multiple Logan's Loonies can't fix, or they need to hoard for months - neither of which is an encouraging option or something that keeps someone interested in the game.

There are 150+ playable characters in this game now, but from the time you have around 30, roster slots are at 500hp. That's really, really expensive for new players, who have far greater odds of opening yet another new character these days.

From what I can tell, obtaining the volume of characters isn't so daunting as the timeline in which they can even just be added to a new player's roster at all.

We had a mass forum meltdown a while back (a year? two? hell if I know, time blurs) about roster slot costs, and it got fixed to a point where it's not an issue for us anymore. But anyone joining the game now is basically locked out in a way that we really never were.
    As a newer player (90days) i completely agree w this. The hp costs to get all 2s and 3s rostered w a 1 for ddq is something like 30k hp. Thats ridiculous and the only reason im still around is i happened to start playing the game wheb the shiled bundles started dropping. I enjoy the game, and an happy to compensate you guys for your work, when im offered a good deal for my money. If i satrted in like october or november or whenever, i wouldve quit by now. People can do math lol and when they see that the $100 bundle of hp isnt even close to getting you a playable roster thats a real issue. 

Either the hp scaling has to be fixed, more hp become available through pve/pvp (the latter of which is basically off limits to new players) or make the bundles permanent-

maybe rotate the covers every few weeks, just make it easier for new players to get to the point where they feel ok to be in for the long haul. 
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Do you look at your competition and see what they are doing and look to see if some of that could be incorporated into the game?

Thinking mainly WWE Champions and the variety of ways to play:
    Multiple Single mode play styles with dificulty levels (normal/hard/very hard)
    Alliance mode where you submit characters to battle other teams (limited by type of fighter they are)
    Gauntlet mode where you select a team of characters that meet certain criteria that you can't change out/heal until you win/lose.
This discussion has been closed.