I Can’t Believe I Saw.... (The Gambit PvP Edition)

Options
ZeroKarma
ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
Nice variety in teams this event. I personally ran DD/IF for the whole event. Daredevil made IF blue useful to get green and then black. That black is a powerhouse, taking out full health Thor’s on occasion.

But I actually saw a few Phoenix teams in the wild!!! It’s been a very long time. Remember when she and OML were everywhere?

What teams did everyone play and see when 5* Gambit wasn’t an option?

Comments

• Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i used boosted Coulson and 5* Hawkeye. I also saw a lot of Boosted Rocket and 5* Thor
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, 80% of the teams I fought were Thor. He's nowhere near as annoying to fight as Gambit though.

I was also using Thor so I can't complain. :p
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I used Thor/Fist and Coulson/5eye and threw in a 5lord+Grocket at some point.

It was nice to try things out and see some variety in the queue as well.

Also, 3bit is hot garbage.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,267 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was Nico/4ocket to 850, but I never could push through to 900
  • Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    So...much...grockamora...

Saw a few boosted Jessica Jones in the wild. That blue is gonna be more of a pain than i thought!
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I used Thor and Hawkeye/Grocket/Coulson, depending on how I felt.

Thor definitely isn't 'OP' though. He's great in PvE and good in offensive PvP, but he isn't really that much of a threat defensively. I wouldn't ever skip him, or even hesitate to fight him, the way I do with Gambit.

Regardless, it was really nice/refreshing to fight against other variations of teams in this PvP. Saw a lot of BB and DD.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I mostly ran Starlord/Grocket, because I could.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,754 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thor fest for me, as someone without a Thor and without gambit to consistently take him down with a full red I struggled and burnt through health packs. I hit 575 and quit.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It was nice.  Ran DD/IF, Thor/DD, Thor/IF, HE/Coulson, Thor/Coulson, SL/RG, Thor/RG, Thanos/Thor.  A noraml PVP is Gambit Thor, so
    yea, this was nice.  
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DD Hobofist has really nice synergy, and his green to black was able to take out some serious muscle.

Nico Grocket was fun if one-trick pony, SL Grocket was decent also. 

And yes, 3* Gambit sucks all of the cojones.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Gambit is my only champed 5*.  So I was confronted with a sea of grocket + Medusa, gamora, or sometimes Nico.  

TBH I actually get way more variety in opponents when my only champed 5* is available.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had one match with DD/Parker where DD stunned one enemy and put out a bunch of strikes, then Parker wiped out the enemy team with one green - they had 40k+ and 20k+ health left at the time. That was pretty awesome. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I saw the exact same things I normally saw, minus the 5-Gambit teams.

It's not like I saw new and exciting things because people were free to not use/fight Gambit. People used the same teams, you just didn't have to sift through Gambit teams to see them.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I saw different team combos but the same characters I see every event. Not sure what everyone's on about.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JHawkInc said:

It's not like I saw new and exciting things because people were free to not use/fight Gambit. People used the same teams, you just didn't have to sift through Gambit teams to see them.
    The meta for PvP at current is Gambit plus whatever friend he wants to bring with him. Normally this is Thor, since he ramps up Gambit as well as adding a good secondary damage dealer through his green active and passive. 

If this were a 3* Thor event, which we have seen recently, it wouldn't shake up anything except which partner you're using with Gambit. People wouldn't stop using Gambit because there are better opportunities for synergy. But remove Gambit, and you see a wider variety of interesting teams to play against. 
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ragnoluce said:
    So...much...grockamora...

Saw a few boosted Jessica Jones in the wild. That blue is gonna be more of a pain than i thought!
    As a 3* player who was lucky enough to hit 2x red JJs...  I can't imagine what she is going to be like leveled out.  She allowed me to clean house the last couple of weeks.  Perfect tank for battery/support covers (Vulture/IM40 of course).  

It did kinda hurt my PVP matchups, but the season was actually pretty fun.  Couple nice rewards too.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I started with Thor/Grocket then went Thor/DD the rest of the way. Loved not needing to use health packs after every fight. Loved using someone other than Gambit without becoming a punching bag for everyone else. 

Once I got past about 600 points I mostly saw other Thor/DD teams, which gave a good indicator of where the meta would go if Gambit gets nerfed too hard someday.

Overall it was a nice change of pace. 
  • JHawkInc
    Options
    ZeroKarma said:
    JHawkInc said:

The meta for PvP at current is Gambit plus whatever friend he wants to bring with him. Normally this is Thor, since he ramps up Gambit as well as adding a good secondary damage dealer through his green active and passive. 

If this were a 3* Thor event, which we have seen recently, it wouldn't shake up anything except which partner you're using with Gambit. People wouldn't stop using Gambit because there are better opportunities for synergy. But remove Gambit, and you see a wider variety of interesting teams to play against. 
    You don't have to explain the meta to me, I play in it. And nothing you said changes my point.

This event, I saw plenty of 5* Thor and DD and Bolt and Thanos and Panther and Spidey and Strange and the occasional Goblin or Cap or Stark or BSS or even JJ. (I think the only 5* I never saw even once was Banner)

But these teams are still out there when Gambit is an option.

I didn't have a "I can't believe I saw that team!" moment because those teams are ALWAYS there. Gambit being popular in the meta doesn't change the fact that not everyone has him, and that these other teams are running all the time, not just when 5* Gambit is locked out because 3* Gambit is required.
  • JHawkInc
    Options
    OJSP said:
    JHawkInc said:
    You don't have to explain the meta to me, I play in it. And nothing you said changes my point.
    Perhaps the fact that one player has an average of t3 characters at 483 and the other at 454 would explain why one only sees less variations in their opponents than the other. You could be less dismissive about other people’s experience.
    I wasn't being dismissive of someone else's experience, I was defending mine. Because I posted my experience and got a condescending response explaining the PVP meta, implying that my disagreement was only because I was too ignorant to actually know what the discussion was about.

At no point did I dismiss anyone else or say that someone else's experience was wrong, only that mine was different.