What covers would you like to see in the game?

2»

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just like to see a complete overhaul of character covers. Something new than the same covers I've been staring at for 3 years.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    If we ever get a Namor, this would make an excellent cover. :mrgreen:
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    For Namor, I would insist on...

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I'm sorry ThaRoadWarrior, my mama told me if I don't have anything nice to say not to say anything at all, but I can't help myself - that Rob X-Force cover is tinykitty.  :p

As I said, it's on trend to hate lol. Everybody deifies Kirby, but that dude couldn't draw feet, perspective, or proportions either if you go back and look at what he was doing. And I assure you, looking at what he was doing is almost definitely how that generation of artists learned to draw.

I like the energy and layout of the whole thing. Rob comes from a time when style was king, at the expense of everything else. It helps if you look at covers from this era as pieces of graphic design rather than accurate depictions of humanoids in perspective doing believable hijinks. I wouldn't make many of the same #ArtChoices Rob made/makes today, but I'd be lying to you if I tried to front like 12yo ThaRoadWarrior wasn't inspired to be an artist by poring over that round of Marvel relaunches followed by the Image Revolution. I can still do a pretty good style match at the drop of a hat lol.
    Actually, Kirby was perfectly capable of drawing all those things, he had after all been a commercial artist for 20 years prior to Marvel on literally every genre you could think of. It was more that by the time Kirby did the Marvel stuff his artwork had evolved and become highly stylised, it was less about perspective and more about conveying fantasy and wonder. Kirby learned the rules and then chose to break them. That is the difference to Rob: he never learned those rules in the first place.
  • DAZ0273
    I'm not even mad at people who legit don't like his work, but I think we're just at the bottom of his depreciation curve. I'm convinced there'll be a Rob-aissance over the next 5-10 years as people start to realize he was the only dude coming up with household name characters through the 90s rather than just dragging out old stuff. You can say whatever you want about Rob, but that is a dude that loves making comics lol
    This is definitely true - Rob could churn out characters. I suppose we can even forgive him for ripping off Deathstroke so blatantly for Deadpool's design in hindsight, lol!
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018

As much as I love Jim Lee's work, I was hoping they would use this Joe Mad! cover for Gambit. It's one of my all-time favorite comic book covers. But alas!
  • DAZ0273

This is what I would use for 3* Daredevil
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    Adi Granov.  Stellar art and he's done some MCU costume designs.

simply stunning Scarlet Witch:

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:

Actually, Kirby was perfectly capable of drawing all those things, he had after all been a commercial artist for 20 years prior to Marvel on literally every genre you could think of. It was more that by the time Kirby did the Marvel stuff his artwork had evolved and become highly stylised, it was less about perspective and more about conveying fantasy and wonder. Kirby learned the rules and then chose to break them. That is the difference to Rob: he never learned those rules in the first place.
    Be that as it may, you can level almost every criticism people throw at Liefeld's work at Kirby's comics work, and it'll stick just as well. Some of those things (omitting backgrounds, hiding difficult bits of an image that would take too long to get just right, similar faces, etc) are almost certainly shortcuts taken for the sake of deadlines in both cases. But since we're ranging pretty close to off topic, so I'll leave with: If you view Liefeld in the context of his time and peers, he makes more sense.

To keep this post on topic,  I wonder if we'll get Vampire Jubilee, or Yellow Raincoat Jubilee?

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:

Be that as it may, you can level almost every criticism people throw at Liefeld's work at Kirby's comics work, and it'll stick just as well. Some of those things (omitting backgrounds, hiding difficult bits of an image that would take too long to get just right, similar faces, etc) are almost certainly shortcuts taken for the sake of deadlines in both cases. But since we're ranging pretty close to off topic, so I'll leave with: If you view Liefeld in the context of his time and peers, he makes more sense.

To keep this post on topic,  I wonder if we'll get Vampire Jubilee, or Yellow Raincoat Jubilee?

Well it isn't that surprising as Liefeld is a Kirby fanboy! Here is a nice piece from Rob on Jack.

http://comicbook.com/comics/2017/08/28/rob-liefeld-jack-kirby-100/

And keeping on track - if we get Cable then howzabout this from Rob?

• Dormammu
    When (not if) we get Cable in MPQ I think it almost has to be a Liefeld cover, doesn't it?
  • DAZ0273
    I would think so. Deadpool may have become the big fan favourite but Cable was Rob's big breakthrough character.
  • Dormammu
    I've never attributed much of Deadpool's creation to Rob other than Deadpool's look. It's not like Deadpool was anything more than a costume until long after Rob had left the building. But I do think he had a large part of Cable.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I've never attributed much of Deadpool's creation to Rob other than Deadpool's look. It's not like Deadpool was anything more than a costume until long after Rob had left the building. But I do think he had a large part of Cable.
    Don't forget at that time Rob was drawing those books, not writing them. That he was anything but a costume needs to get lain at the feet of Fabien Nicieza. That his visual persists into the run everyone likes should be a job well done for the visual part of that team. j/s

Speaking of other Rob creations we'll likely see post-Deadpool 2, I like this cover for Domino even though she doesn't look very movie accurate:

• Dormammu
    Oh, I have no doubt Mr. Nicieza was mailing it in during that era, but I remember reading that Rob actually had a large part in creating Cable beyond his appearance. I wish I could find interviews to provide links but I'm too lazy.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker

This is the one I want! :-)