What covers would you like to see in the game?

Options
JHawkInc
JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
The threads discussing what comics we're reading and comic covers fabricated for the game (rather than drawn from actual comics) got me thinking.

What comic covers would add to the game? Whether you want to replace a cover, have a cover in mind for a specific character, or would just have some favorite art you'd like to see in any capacity, what would you add, if you could?

I've thought of One or Two for 4* Thor that have come out since she was introduced that I think are more fun representations of the character (and as noted in one of the above threads, it's a series I've been reading recently).

And I like This cover for Unworthy Thor. I'm not sure it's a good time to add him to the game (we're slowly passing Unworthy Thor's relevance in the comics, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to code a new 4* that CAN'T be used alongside 2/3/5* Thor, but COULD be used alongside the 4* version), or if this would be a good cover for Beta Ray Bill instead, but I like it anyways, you know?

I could go on, but I'm interested in hearing what others think.

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It'd be cool if they could use the Black Bolt cover from Saladin Ahmed's run instead of the current one. At least Boltagon won't have to deal with the royal family.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/63431/black_bolt_2017_1
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options
    Lockjaw has his own cover now, so he doesn't need to piggyback on Kamala's: http://marvel.com/comics/issue/66201/lockjaw_2018_1
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lockjaw has his own cover now, so he doesn't need to piggyback on Kamala's: http://marvel.com/comics/issue/66201/lockjaw_2018_1
    It's matter of taste, of course, but it's not a good choice. He's looks like jellyfish.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's not a possibility given that both Punisher variants are tied into their respective series/arcs, but I wish they could fit in one of the old Mike Zeck covers from the '80s. Similarly, Back in Black Spider-Man will always bring to mind Amazing Spider-Man #252 instead of the arc it's referencing.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd like to see Cable.  I would think with DP2 coming out that it will happen.  Maybe as a boss in a boss event, but still.

Probably see Domino as well, which I would be a fan of too.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kishida said:
    Back in Black Spider-Man will always bring to mind Amazing Spider-Man #252 instead of the arc it's referencing.
    That would be a great choice. So would (the original) Secret Wars 8 or two of my personal favorites featuring the black costume: Peter Parker 101 and Web of Spider-Man 8
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I know it's trendy to hate on The Rob in the year of our lord 2018, but I will always love the cover of X-Force #3 for Juggernaut:

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    If we ever get a classic Nick Fury, I hope it comes with some steranko art:

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Not sure we need any more Punishers, but is there a better cover than this?

• Dormammu
    Options
    I love Thor, I love Thoress, and I love... Beta Ray Bill

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I'm sorry ThaRoadWarrior, my mama told me if I don't have anything nice to say not to say anything at all, but I can't help myself - that Rob X-Force cover is tinykitty.  :p

As I said, it's on trend to hate lol. Everybody deifies Kirby, but that dude couldn't draw feet, perspective, or proportions either if you go back and look at what he was doing. And I assure you, looking at what he was doing is almost definitely how that generation of artists learned to draw.

I like the energy and layout of the whole thing. Rob comes from a time when style was king, at the expense of everything else. It helps if you look at covers from this era as pieces of graphic design rather than accurate depictions of humanoids in perspective doing believable hijinks. I wouldn't make many of the same #ArtChoices Rob made/makes today, but I'd be lying to you if I tried to front like 12yo ThaRoadWarrior wasn't inspired to be an artist by poring over that round of Marvel relaunches followed by the Image Revolution. I can still do a pretty good style match at the drop of a hat lol.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I love Thor, I love Thoress, and I love... Beta Ray Bill

Shout out to this empty white background lol
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Everybody deifies Kirby, but that dude couldn't draw feet, perspective, or proportions either if you go back and look at what he was doing.
    I don't like Kirby, never did, so I'm with you 100%. And when that X-Force cover came out I was 17, addicted to comics, and bought it off the stands because I absolutely loved Rob's artwork. He was the only reason I started reading New Mutants (who I thought were boring, prior). I've defended Rob L. on these boards and I'll probably have to do it again. You said it - he was a high energy artist who helped revolutionize the way artists drew comic books.

And so what if he can't draw feet? At least he's not McFarlane - that guy couldn't draw noses.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I'm not even mad at people who legit don't like his work, but I think we're just at the bottom of his depreciation curve. I'm convinced there'll be a Rob-aissance over the next 5-10 years as people start to realize he was the only dude coming up with household name characters through the 90s rather than just dragging out old stuff. You can say whatever you want about Rob, but that is a dude that loves making comics lol
  • HobieCat76
    HobieCat76 Posts: 73 Match Maker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I do really hate that Valkyrie's "cover" doesn't even have her on it. Really, just a sword and the word "Valkyrie?"  I would love for them to change it to Exiles #2 when it finally comes out (which I know I've mentioned before in another thread).

Also, I know that this probably isn't right as the "avatar" cover for Scarlet Witch, but I would prefer this cover WAY more than the one they currently use for her.

In fact, this is one of my favorite Marvel covers period.

EDIT:  Just fixed a typo above.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I hope we get some Omega Red at some point:

• gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Anything by Bill Sienkiewicz  I'm a broken record about this but New Mutants, especially Warlock.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I love the art of Phil Noto. I can see myself just walking by Hawkeye and Kate sitting on those stairs.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I know I've said this several times before, but I really think the Skottie Young covers should be standard for Black Panther and Jessica Jones.