Non-cover Covers

Options
2»

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jamesh said:

It wasn't always like this though: Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both film inspired characters paired with comic covers showing their classic costumes.
    You can't expect consistency in MPQ, especially when you look further back. QS, Switch, Vision and Hulkbuster were given MCU art but comic covers, but that was the first time they really tried to tie in to the MCU. They probably didn't even consider new covers until Peggy.
    I don't get why they didn't use the Netflix version for 4* Cage. It would have been keeping with their trends and he had a much better look than Netflix Iron Fist. Bullethole hoodie Cage would have been dope
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,847 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Straycat said:
    jamesh said:

It wasn't always like this though: Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both film inspired characters paired with comic covers showing their classic costumes.
    You can't expect consistency in MPQ, especially when you look further back. QS, Switch, Vision and Hulkbuster were given MCU art but comic covers, but that was the first time they really tried to tie in to the MCU. They probably didn't even consider new covers until Peggy.
    I don't get why they didn't use the Netflix version for 4* Cage. It would have been keeping with their trends and he had a much better look than Netflix Iron Fist. Bullethole hoodie Cage would have been dope
    I could be wrong but was not 4* Cage launched because of the comic book, not the TV series? That is why he has the "Fiddle Faddle" power which ties in.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,262 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    yeah, that cover for Gambit is actually a crop. Jim Lee did one huge image, and then it was split out into several variant covers that when put together formed the full image. Magn3to's cover was also cropped from this, as was Beast and Cyclops (classic):

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    7) Tbf there arent that many good covers of the Grey Suit Black Widow version
    I like GSBWs cover. That's one of my favorite Jim Lee covers. I have the comic, too. It's a great issue which takes place in 1941 - when Cap was just getting started, before Wolverine lost his memory, and when Natasha was just a child.

Covers I don't like:
    1) 2-star Cap (Not a fan of the retro style the artist used)
    2) TA Hulk (Something about the face creeps me out)
    3) 3-star Hulk (Walt Simonson is one of my fave artists, but he can't draw the Hulk)
    4) Sue Storm (Really? You couldn't find a Byrne FF cover?)

Covers I love:
    1) 3-star Hawkeye (This cover conveys so much character)
    2) 5-star Ock (Haha! Classic.)
    3) 3-star Spider-Man (Love the curving city lens effect in the background)
    4) Kraven (Mike Zeck is awesome)
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like the Hawkeye cover.  From just one glance, you could kinda guess what kind of comicbook and what kind of guy this version of Clint is...and it's not Jeremy Renner's version.
  • mjs0726
    mjs0726 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the non-comic covers, either. It reminds me of novels getting the movie poster treatment for their book covers when the film is made (see: Wrinkle in Time, Hunger Games, countless others). I prefer adhering to the comic as much as possible. I feel like for Valkyrie they could have still used a comic cover even though the character design is different (like Scarlet Witch's cover).
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dislike the Valkyrie cover because it does not feature the character.  Unless the character is the sword, I suppose.  I'd rather have the comic book version (who doesn't look anything like the movie version) than one that doesn't show the character at all...
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,175 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Dormammu this was the original, and previous, IW cover from Marvel Knights (i think) before they switched it to the current SHIELD one.

http://www.cineycine.com/archivos/2015/08/los-4-fantasticos-mujer-invisible.jpg
  • Dormammu
    Options
    I remember that IW cover. Any reason they changed it?
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I remember that IW cover. Any reason they changed it?
    It got changed after one of the women of Marvel cover swaps. I want to say it's one fans voted on like Devil Dinosaur or X-23.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The best thing about Valkyrie’s cover is that Grey Suit Black Widow no longer has the worst cover for a toon.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    7) Tbf there arent that many good covers of the Grey Suit Black Widow version
    I like GSBWs cover. That's one of my favorite Jim Lee covers. I have the comic, too. It's a great issue which takes place in 1941 - when Cap was just getting started, before Wolverine lost his memory, and when Natasha was just a child.

Covers I don't like:

3) 3-star Hulk (Walt Simonson is one of my fave artists, but he can't draw the Hulk)
    4) Sue Storm (Really? You couldn't find a Byrne FF cover?)

Howzabout a classic cover for Hulk with a nod to his rivalry with Thor?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Defenders_Vol_1_10

It was actually pretty hard to find any decent Byrne Invisible Woman covers and one of the best ones referred to her as Invisible Girl. Whilst looking though, it reminded me that I'm not overly keen on Doom's cover either and I came across this which is pretty cool:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_258

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,262 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember thinking at the time that Dale Keown had a cool art style on the Hulk, but I don't hear too many people talking about his run:

• Dormammu
    Options
    Keown is my favorite Hulk artist.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I remember thinking at the time that Dale Keown had a cool art style on the Hulk, but I don't hear too many people talking about his run:

Keown was definitely a great artist for Hulk, I think his run revived the book somewhat as I don't think Jeff Purves was quite able to maintain the popularity of Todd McFarlane's stuff.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    I remember really liking McFarlane's work on Hulk - which was my first exposure to him as an artist. But looking back on it now (along with his work on Spider-Man) I don't appreciate it as much. I was blown away by Dale Keown though, and to this day I think he's the best artist that book has ever had. That was an interesting era for the character; it was the beginning of the end of the Peter David era and he was taking the Hulk in many different directions.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I remember really liking McFarlane's work on Hulk - which was my first exposure to him as an artist. But looking back on it now (along with his work on Spider-Man) I don't appreciate it as much. I was blown away by Dale Keown though, and to this day I think he's the best artist that book has ever had. That was an interesting era for the character; it was the beginning of the end of the Peter David era and he was taking the Hulk in many different directions.
    I'll give McFarlane props for making Grey Hulk so distinctive to his green cousin but yeah, I think Keown is a far better artist.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

That cover is way too cool and beastly for any of the Hulks currently in the game. It would almost be false advertising to see that much power.... only to actually play the character.