Non-cover Covers

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I just now noticed, after getting her progression cover in PvE, that Valkyrie's 'cover' is not a comic book cover. I thought that was interesting. The only other person I could think of in MPQ that didn't get an actual (real-life) comic book cover was Peggy, but then I checked... I noticed (again for the first time) that 5-star Daredevil isn't a comic book, but Quesada art for the Netflix show. And then, lo and behold, I notice 5-star Thor is not an actual comic cover.

Obviously, someone hasn't been paying attention!  :o 
(Someone whose name starts with a 'D' and ends with 'ormammu'.)

I'm not sure I like this trend. Then again, I'm not sure I dislike it either. The push to cross-promote with movies and television has always been in MPQ and I'm cool with that. But as a former comic book collector, one of my favorite aspects of this game has been seeing what cover they choose and collecting them all - just like a real comic collection.

What do you all think? Like it? Dislike it? Don't care?

Comments

• shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm ok with it in certain instances.

This version of Valkyrie has no comic cover to use, like Peggy. Situations like that are fine. Don't like it on the others, particularly Thor and Daredevil that have tons of usable covers in their history.
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    Well I didn’t have a problem with it until you brought it to my attention!!

But really, it’s happened for a few characters as you pointed out. Mordo is not a comic book cover either, and if I remember correctly there was a section of an interview discussing the creation of his in game “cover”, possibly in Mordo’s “Piecing Together” feature? I can’t remember exactly, but I know I read it somewhere. I don’t have a problem with it really, Thor and especially DD are very good in my opinion, and Valkyrie isn’t bad either, although she is an even farther departure in that she the only character in the game to not have her physically likeness depicted on her cover, and that is what I don’t know how to feel about. 
  • Jrlrma
    Jrlrma Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    I would prefer they use as many real comic covers as possible. 
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I’m good either way. I really like the Peggy and Valkyrie cover though I can’t say I care much for 5hor.
  • CenturyChild
    CenturyChild Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm ok with it in certain instances.

This version of Valkyrie has no comic cover to use, like Peggy. Situations like that are fine. Don't like it on the others, particularly Thor and Daredevil that have tons of usable covers in their history.
    I second this opinion. 
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't care that much for it, but the artwork that comes from comic books are visually better than the others.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Its a weird situation for sure,  especially considering they had to know about the exiles comic debut.  If you look in the valkarye thread,  a bunch people actually posted a bunch of upcoming valkarye covers.  Hopefully they will do a WoMarvel month and actually get a cover that features

Valkyrie. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think this is the full list of non-comic covers:

4* Peggy Carter
    4* Mordo
    4* Iron Fist
    4* Vulture
    5* Daredevil
    5* Thor
    4* Valkyrie

Peggy was understandable, since the brief was to create an entirely new character for the Captain America anniversary.  I'm assuming the Mordo one was done due to the skin colour difference between comics and film.

From that point on, it seems that whenever a film-inspired character is added who looks significantly different they have opted for new art (although Daredevil still looks quite similar???).

It wasn't always like this though: Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both film inspired characters paired with comic covers showing their classic costumes.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    It wasn't always like this though: Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both film inspired characters paired with comic covers showing their classic costumes.
    Scarlet Witch even had the alternate cover last year which also showed the classic costume instead of the MCU one.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That DareDevil Netflix cover is Fire though.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shintok17 said:
    Yeah, Quesada is/was Daredevil's best artist.
  • DavidAmaquelin
    DavidAmaquelin Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I still thinking that they should have launched Valkyrie as she was in comics....
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’ve only read at most 20 comics in his whole life but loves the characters from other media. So for me I don’t mind it and honestly can’t tell the difference. But I can understand others being less happy with it. 

I dont think the MCU covers look any worse. As noted I can’t tell the difference. And TBH there a handful of covers in the game that I don’t think are that great. 

Gambit 5* - Doesn’t have Gambit any more prominent than the other 3 on it. Artwork is meh. 
    Thanos 5* - Him just floating in space seems really weird and when not zoomed in the planet to his right looks like a Christmas ordiment. 
    Rocket & Groot 4* - Artwork is weird and clashes with in game design (also doesn’t represent the in game character of Groot being a baby). 
    Scarlet Witch 3* - Far too busy. Character isn’t prominent enough. Zoomed out just looks like a mess of colors. 
    Gamora 3* - See above but to a lesser degree. 
    Beast 3* - See Gambit 5* but to a lesser degree. 
    Black Widow 3* - See Gambit 5*

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Shintok17 said:
    I'm not sure about that. Frank Miller, David Mazzucchelli and JR jr did some pretty nifty stuff.

• Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Dormammu said:
    Shintok17 said:
    I'm not sure about that. Frank Miller, David Mazzucchelli and JR jr did some pretty nifty stuff.

You have to remember that the 5* DareDevil introduced in MPQ is the Netflix show one which has a varied costume and looks like the actor from the show. They could not of used the comic for it, because it would not look like him. All those other artists you mentioned are really good, not denying that, but it would go better with the 3* DareDevil since that is the iteration that was brought to that tier.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Shintok17 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Dormammu said:
    Shintok17 said:

You have to remember that the 5* DareDevil introduced in MPQ is the Netflix show one which has a varied costume and looks like the actor from the show. They could not of used the comic for it, because it would not look like him. All those other artists you mentioned are really good, not denying that, but it would go better with the 3* DareDevil since that is the iteration that was brought to that tier.
    Yeah I understand that and have no issue with the cover used, I was more thinking about whether Quesada actually is/was DD's best artist.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shintok17 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Dormammu said:
    Shintok17 said:

There's nothing saying they can't.  Several characters in the game already are like this.  R&G 4* is MCU version with Baby Groot and his comic cover isn't even close.  Switch 3* is MCU version but her comic cover shows classic costume.  There are probably more examples.

That being said as I noted above I would prefer the in game model & cover match and don't mind them making fake covers for MCU characters to do so.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    broll said:
    I’ve only read at most 20 comics in his whole life but loves the characters from other media. So for me I don’t mind it and honestly can’t tell the difference. But I can understand others being less happy with it. 

I dont think the MCU covers look any worse. As noted I can’t tell the difference. And TBH there a handful of covers in the game that I don’t think are that great. 

Gambit 5* - Doesn’t have Gambit any more prominent than the other 3 on it. Artwork is meh. 
    Thanos 5* - Him just floating in space seems really weird and when not zoomed in the planet to his right looks like a Christmas ordiment. 
    Rocket & Groot 4* - Artwork is weird and clashes with in game design (also doesn’t represent the in game character of Groot being a baby). 
    Scarlet Witch 3* - Far too busy. Character isn’t prominent enough. Zoomed out just looks like a mess of colors. 
    Gamora 3* - See above but to a lesser degree. 
    Beast 3* - See Gambit 5* but to a lesser degree. 
    Black Widow 3* - See Gambit 5*

I mostly agree with broll.

1) They should have used the cover for X-Men Origins: Gambit. I mean, that's literally the artwork for his Ragin Cajun animation in the game.
    2) Thanos looks so small and unintimidating. I'd prefer this cover; Thanos is much bigger and the Infinity Gauntlet is emphasised. Or even this cover from Infinity Revelation would be much more preferable.
    4) The alternate artwork they used previously for Scarlet Witch was, and is, badass
    5) I get that they wanted to use Jim Lee's iconic X-Men covers. It suits 3* Magneto, because he's the only one in that variant. Cyclops is passable, because he sticks out over Wolverine (mostly due to Wolvie's yellow and brown suit). Beast doesn't stick out too much with Storm hovering above him, and Gambit is crowded out by Psylocke, Colossus, and Rogue. Oh well.
    6) Tbf there arent that many good covers of the Grey Suit Black Widow version
    1.) I think they were always going to finish off the five covers from X-Men #1 and Gambit was last man standing.
    2.) That cover is actually from the Infinity Gauntlet series though, so makes sense.
    4.) Agreed on Scarlet Witch - very strange cover choice.
    6.) Cover to DD 188 is a favourite of mine (can't work out how to post images here)

2 other covers I don't think are too great are 2* Widow and 4* Deadpool.
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I noticed it since Peggy, who I think was the first unique cover, and thought it was a good idea. Plus, I'm all for giving artists more work rather than always reusing art. I understand the love for the classic covers, but I like that there's art unique to MPQ.

Someone already pointed out Mordo. I like this one as it differentiates between comics and the cinematic universe (MCU). But yeah, Vulture is unique art as well. I do like how the game dances in this weird realm between comics and MCU. It makes MPQ more unique, and probably gives the game writers freer will in crafting their own stories, which I am also all for. Adherence can be stagnating.

Heck, I think they should pay their artists to mock up MPQ covers for every character that we can unlock through play. Cosmetics!
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    @DAZ0273 are you referring to this Daredevil cover?

And ah yes, Xpool in the top right corner, upside down with his delightful crotch. Like GSBW though, there are almost no Uncanny X-Force covers which prominently feature Deadpool
    I am - I know she is in shadow but she is wearing her grey suit and I like the design.

And yeah, XForce Deadpool is pretty starved of decent alternatives.