Who is worth keeping max-champed from the 3* tier?

13»

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    I’m in full on hoard mode trying to avoid 3s and just work my 4s but it’s hard because opening tokens = iso.  But tokens also mean potentially having to divert my 4* progress to rechamp 3s and that’s not super enjoyable. 
    So don't.  I'm only just starting to max my 3* roster (only Steve and GSBW duped so far) but long ago I found I needed to be zen about tossing 3* tokens if there's a 4* to be champed just like I to be zen about tossing 2* tokens when I was still working on champing 3*s (it's probably even easier now with BH, which I'm using to rebuild dupes).

At some point there will be a slowdown where you don't have a pressing need for 4* ISO when you can go back to 3*s -- assuming you're not going to start to build up 5*s (which I grant is probably going to be a rough hill to climb).  I'm in the fortunate(?) position of being at least 2 covers away even having the opportunity to contemplate champing any 5*, though, and dilution pretty much insures that it's not a problem I'll have to deal with any time soon.
    I won't sweat selling a 3* here or there if I have to (lord knows I've sold plenty of 4s), it's just I'm not going to open 1,000 tokens all at once either, especially when I have 15k iso to my name.  Might as well just collect iso and let the covers come naturally ( I get plenty not opening tokens!).  I can champ them as they come without opening tokens and the iso I could get now will be there later when I do decide to open.  Just with less waste.

Straycat said:

Question for @Daredevil217 and @Tony Foot , how much iso do you have and how many covers are in your queue right now? I just think covers don't come so fast that you can't build up the iso to champ one 3* at a time fairly easily. You don't need 127k iso x all those 3*s on hand. Champing 1 is an investment that will increase your iso earnings. Thats why I think not opening tokens is limiting your iso.
    About 15k with only a 2* Human Torch in the queue (who I'll champ as soon as I get to 75k).  I did have like 370K yesterday that I built up, but decided to bring up my 3 classic 4's I have at 140 to 209 and that cost me almost all of it.  However, that's a big chunk out of my 4* deficit and I am set for every SHIELD Training from here on out!

I'm not limiting my iso.  Those tokens don't expire.  But I am absolutely delaying it by focusing on 4s instead of threes right now for sure.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Somebody asked this a few days ago it is a good question, selling some of my 3's allowed (I think I sold my first 4) me to power through my remaining 4's.  IF you have enough 4's you just do not use your 3's enough to justify holding on to all of them.  The only one I regre selling is Rocket and Groot and this is because he is a HP sponge for your low level nodes with Thanos.  Once I re-champion a replacement 3 I sell them.  If you do not have over 20 4 championed I would not recommend this but once you have a good stable of 4's you just will not use them enough to not sell them.  Once your 4's are covered you will probably be close to finishing your 3's again.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
     Might as well just collect iso and let the covers come naturally ( I get plenty not opening tokens!).  I can champ them as they come without opening tokens and the iso I could get now will be there later when I do decide to open.  Just with less waste.

Straycat said:

Question for @Daredevil217 and @Tony Foot , how much iso do you have and how many covers are in your queue right now? I just think covers don't come so fast that you can't build up the iso to champ one 3* at a time fairly easily. You don't need 127k iso x all those 3*s on hand. Champing 1 is an investment that will increase your iso earnings. Thats why I think not opening tokens is limiting your iso.
    About 15k with only a 2* Human Torch in the queue (who I'll champ as soon as I get to 75k).  I did have like 370K yesterday that I built up, but decided to bring up my 3 classic 4's I have at 140 to 209 and that cost me almost all of it.  However, that's a big chunk out of my 4* deficit and I am set for every SHIELD Training from here on out!

I'm not limiting my iso.  Those tokens don't expire.  But I am absolutely delaying it by focusing on 4s instead of threes right now for sure.
    So your iso debt is 60k in under 12 days. So you need 5k per day to get it done. You only have 11 of the 3*s that might be in need, so 1/4 chance of a 1/4 chance of pulling those. Thats good enough odds to open elites and heroics, I think. Meanwhile you're getting more iso from champ rewards. Even if the first token is the 14th cover for a dupe, thats 127k needed in 14 days, or 9k per day. Easy.

You are counting your iso debt before it hits. You want your millions of iso debt on hand so as soon as you need it you can champ, but there's no reason to. I just think you can open tokens, champ them as the come since you have majority chance that what you pull will give you iso, not cost you iso. Now that we know the new change doesn't really benefit from hoarding, I bet you can open tokens and still not waste anything, and champ those dupe 3s faster.
  • Erunner1201
    Erunner1201 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    I have 45 of the 47 3*s maxed champed and a dupe for each one.  I have not sold any of the maxed champed 3*s and about 5 of my dupes are now approaching level 266.  I was able to do this by first champing all 4* and then starting the 3* farm.  This took a lot of discipline since while I was in the mode of champing, I did not open elites, heroics, and standards.  I really tried to minimize the amount of 3* covers that I would have to sell since I did not have the dupe champed at the time.  I believe I am almost at the post-ISO stage as all I really have to pour ISO in is my 5*s and new 4*.  IMO, it is worth it to keep the original, because then you don't have to worry about low HP in both PVE and PVP.  But I am also a collector and like to keep things as trophies.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I maxed my first 3* a few months back (Cap Rogers) and kept the 266 and champed the duplicate. I am working on BW, IM40 and Captain Marvel dupes right now too.  My plan is to keep dupes for all of the 3* that are fed by 2* farm and a few select ones, such as IM40 that I still see myself using at times.  Others to that list may include Thanos, Strange, and Iron Fist.  Beyond that, I will probably not dupe 3* that fall outside of that list and just sell for 500 iso,  at least until I am fairly caught up on 4* iso needs. At that point I may decide to go back and start duping 3* or sink iso into my 5*, time will tell.  
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't try to champ dupes of 3*s if you still have 4*s to champ.  Once you're in a good place with 4*s, then you can worry about duping 3*s.

I'd sell the 3*s with 2* feeders.  Those climb back up pretty fast.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    So your iso debt is 60k in under 12 days. So you need 5k per day to get it done. You only have 11 of the 3*s that might be in need, so 1/4 chance of a 1/4 chance of pulling those. Thats good enough odds to open elites and heroics, I think. Meanwhile you're getting more iso from champ rewards. Even if the first token is the 14th cover for a dupe, thats 127k needed in 14 days, or 9k per day. Easy.

You are counting your iso debt before it hits. You want your millions of iso debt on hand so as soon as you need it you can champ, but there's no reason to. I just think you can open tokens, champ them as the come since you have majority chance that what you pull will give you iso, not cost you iso. Now that we know the new change doesn't really benefit from hoarding, I bet you can open tokens and still not waste anything, and champ those dupe 3s faster.
    I get what you're saying.  I could open standards/elites (at this point I'm saving Heroics until I need a particular 4*) until I pull a 14th cover, hoard the iso I need to champ, pull again, repeat...  for every... single... 3*.  I was doing the same strategy with 4* characters for awhile before I started hoarding for Jessica.

What you're not getting though is that by doing that, I'm shifting focus from champing 4*s to champing 3*s.  Because as soon as one 3* is champed, there's another and another assuming I keep pulling.  I could do that, and when I'm all caught up on 3*s I could go back and champ my 4s.

Or...
    I have 45 of the 47 3*s maxed champed and a dupe for each one.  I have not sold any of the maxed champed 3*s and about 5 of my dupes are now approaching level 266.  I was able to do this by first champing all 4* and then starting the 3* farm.  This took a lot of discipline since while I was in the mode of champing, I did not open elites, heroics, and standards.  I really tried to minimize the amount of 3* covers that I would have to sell since I did not have the dupe champed at the time.  I believe I am almost at the post-ISO stage as all I really have to pour ISO in is my 5*s and new 4*.  IMO, it is worth it to keep the original, because then you don't have to worry about low HP in both PVE and PVP.  But I am also a collector and like to keep things as trophies.
    I could do that.  Which for now has been my adopted strategy (@Erunner1201 you're my hero).  I have eight left to champ.  Six are classics at level 209 and the other two are Jubilee (level 70) and Valkyrie (level 111).  Without opening tokens I can still bring in a decent amount of iso each week to chip away at those 4s.  And once champed I can then focus on my 3* dupes, minimizing cover waste.
    658 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Once I have a dupe max covered, I sell the 266.  Thanos is the only 3 I’m keeping maxed permanently, because I use him for trivial nodes in pve and ddq.  I’ve seen no difference in pvp since I started selling 3s.  When playing in 5* tier, 3s are irrelevant, other than a low level 3 is Thanosbait.  Not many use Thanos anymore though.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I have 45 of the 47 3*s maxed champed and a dupe for each one.  I have not sold any of the maxed champed 3*s and about 5 of my dupes are now approaching level 266.  I was able to do this by first champing all 4* and then starting the 3* farm.  This took a lot of discipline since while I was in the mode of champing, I did not open elites, heroics, and standards.  I really tried to minimize the amount of 3* covers that I would have to sell since I did not have the dupe champed at the time.  I believe I am almost at the post-ISO stage as all I really have to pour ISO in is my 5*s and new 4
    I could do that.  Which for now has been my adopted strategy (@Erunner1201 you're my hero).  I have eight left to champ.  Six are classics at level 209 and the other two are Jubilee (level 70) and Valkyrie (level 111).  Without opening tokens I can still bring in a decent amount of iso each week to chip away at those 4s.  And once champed I can then focus on my 3* dupes, minimizing cover waste.
    No, I get it. It’s what I’m doing, inadvertently at least. You only have 8 left, so it’s likely in a season to not pull anything but champ rewards. I only have 6 left, and it’s taking so long to get my last nico cover I found hoarding more fun than pulling. There’s always more 4*s coming, so you can never have them all champed before shifting focus to the 3* farm. Besides, you don’t level your 5s so you should be hoarding LTs. Its more likely to catch up on your 3* farm before finishing your 4*s. 
    Sorry to keep harping on this, but I think it’s crazy that you still think you are in dire need of iso. We just have a different view of it I guess. We are in pretty similar situations, which is why I feel you are so wrong. I champed Dino for no reason because I have spare iso. Like you leveled some 4s to 209 for no reason. You have spare iso. 
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    So far I've sold ten maxed 3*s, re-rostering all of them once I got another cover for them:

Steve Rogers, GSBW, Rocket & Groot, Hulk, Patch, Thor, Blade, Cyclops, Storm and Kamala.

Of those, Steve and Natasha have been rechamped, and are currently at 193 and 182 respectively. Next to be maxed and sold are Magneto and Deadpool. IM40 I might hold on to for a while due to his usefulness as a battery, but I don't use him all that much anymore since I have 44 champed 4*s.

As far as PvP is concerned, I only usually play to 575 to get the 10CP, and maybe play a few more matches near the end of the event to get a decent placement, so I can live with selling the 3*s to fund champing more 4*s.

I have all the currently available 5*s rostered, but iso has only been put into a few of them. My highest level 5* is Banner at 300, even though he only has four or five covers. I will turn my attention to the 5*s once all my 4*s are champed, which I hope to get done this year.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I have 39 characters atm to level up, and iso is not really the biggest issue, but i usually level them at event basis. If they're not needed for the upcoming event, they'll just need to sit back a little longer.
  • Bigtone
    Bigtone Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    I'm about to max my first 3*(Cap). Considering how rarely I use him, he'll be duped and once champ, I'll be selling
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I sold 4 maxchamped 3 stars a few weeks ago in order to champ America Chavez & Kate Bishop. I have rather few 4 stars left to champ so I'll follow the covers (finishing 4 star Elektra right now lol) but after that I'll rebuild my 3 stars (currently collecting covers for them). I'm not missing any crucial 4 stars anymore & don't have the covers for the 5 star game so I'll be drifting into farming for a while I guess.