Who is worth keeping max-champed from the 3* tier?

Comments

• hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Because he does not generate any more ap with his yellow at 166 or max level.  His primary purpose is to generate AP so level is not relevant for him.  In fact, he is probably safer at lower levels because he will not be tanking any colors.  Now if you are going to drag him along on 4 and 5 star teams than yes he need to be maxed so he does not get 1-shot by an AOE but other than that exception level is not key for him to function ideally.  He is a top 3 3-star but while R&G is in the 7-15 range but unlike many of the 3's his level is not essential for his powers to function at max.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Switch and IM40 still see use for me on 4* teams. While I can use Cloak and Dagger to replace Iron Fist for Black there are currently no better Purple/Red generators than those two. If I could keep only one 3 maxed it would be IM40 because he would actually see PVP use with the right boosted 4 (Peggy and Thoress for example).  He would allow very quick clears for climbing. Also Vulture is my highest level 4 (304) and his health is only 650 HP higher than my IM40. So health-wise he’s not a liability at max levels, and that is unboosted. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread helped convince me to sell Bullseye, Torch, and Daken. Now I have a champed 4BP.  And leveled up AA a bit for his 5E run.

Thanks!
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    All of them.  Boosted to 412 or whatever the number is in PvP is valuable.  They rarely do anything on offense, but their health pool makes them take longer to fight on defense - could mean the difference between a snipe and a clean hop.  In PvE having them maxed saves health packs since they are just Thanos fodder there - but that's still nice.  It only takes a couple days to save up the ISO you would get from selling them anyway - just wait.

But if that's not possible.....you might as well just sell them all off after their PvP event. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    It takes so long to max out a 3, i keep maxed out three stars and bring up a dupe.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    I’ve been keeping all my champed 3*s, but it’s killing my ISO gain.  I’m 2/3rds of the way through my 2nd “hoarding for 5*s” cycle, and by the time I hit 300 pulls, I’ll still be way short of the ISO I need to avoid wasting 4* covers (54 champed 4*s, but still 9 and counting to champ or waste).  Unless the 5*s offer when my hoard is ripe are pretty lame and I have extra time to earn ISO, I have a feeling I’m going to be cashing in those 3* champs en mass.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been trying to maintain rostering a dupe 3* and keeping the 266 as I just hate the thought of selling something that took so much time and effort but I'm struggling with the ISO drain. I have about 17 flipped with dupes rostered.

My main reason is running pvp with a 166 again in 5* world but I feel I'm going to have to bite the bullet so to speak and recover some of that ISO to put into 4*s.

Which 3* would you recommend I do keep the 266? I like hawkguy a lot so will keep him, Deadpool, Strange and Thanos.

Anymore?
  • bluewolf
    This is the worst of my 1st world problems.  I keep the Lightning Round featureds since I do play them.  Otherwise your group sounds solid.

Since there are 6 months or so between runs of PVPs, you can probably sell any recent one.  This goes double for any that are fed by 2’s.  Ex:  GSBW just had hers.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't play LR's mainly pve and PVP to 575-900.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only ones I really feel comfortable selling early are the ones who heal; Daken, Wolverine, Khan (that everyone?)

These characters can still act as effective meat shields, even with the lower health. Otherwise, I think it's a sell to your detriment situation. You'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage in PvP.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    I sell as soon as i get a cover past 266.  with Lord Gambit, all things are possible.  Still can place high in pvp with a loaner 3.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    • Kamala Khan [266]
    • Black Widow [265]
    • Rocket and Groot [265]
    • Black Panther [264]
    • Luke Cage [264]
    • Magneto [262]
    • Bullseye [260]
    • Two more at 259
    • Two more at 258
    • 4 more at 257
    • 4 more at 256
    127k a pop...

I have 30k iso and a growing list of 4s in need of champing (back up to 8 with Jubilee). 

Was really hoping the new feature would help alleviate this problem rather than give us more stuff to chase but here we are. 

I’m in full on hoard mode trying to avoid 3s and just work my 4s but it’s hard because opening tokens = iso.  But tokens also mean potentially having to divert my 4* progress to rechamp 3s and that’s not super enjoyable. 
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I’m in full on hoard mode trying to avoid 3s and just work my 4s but it’s hard because opening tokens = iso.  But tokens also mean potentially having to divert my 4* progress to rechamp 3s and that’s not super enjoyable. 
    So don't.  I'm only just starting to max my 3* roster (only Steve and GSBW duped so far) but long ago I found I needed to be zen about tossing 3* tokens if there's a 4* to be champed just like I to be zen about tossing 2* tokens when I was still working on champing 3*s (it's probably even easier now with BH, which I'm using to rebuild dupes).

At some point there will be a slowdown where you don't have a pressing need for 4* ISO when you can go back to 3*s -- assuming you're not going to start to build up 5*s (which I grant is probably going to be a rough hill to climb).  I'm in the fortunate(?) position of being at least 2 covers away even having the opportunity to contemplate champing any 5*, though, and dilution pretty much insures that it's not a problem I'll have to deal with any time soon.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    So don't.  I'm only just starting to max my 3* roster (only Steve and GSBW duped so far) but long ago I found I needed to be zen about tossing 3* tokens if there's a 4* to be champed just like I to be zen about tossing 2* tokens when I was still working on champing 3*s (it's probably even easier now with BH, which I'm using to rebuild dupes).

At some point there will be a slowdown where you don't have a pressing need for 4* ISO when you can go back to 3*s -- assuming you're not going to start to build up 5*s (which I grant is probably going to be a rough hill to climb).  I'm in the fortunate(?) position of being at least 2 covers away even having the opportunity to contemplate champing any 5*, though, and dilution pretty much insures that it's not a problem I'll have to deal with any time soon.
    You make the willpower sound so easy, it's hard man! Lol
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I have 13 at 263 or higher, 7 more over 253. So far I have 14 flipped and rechamped, 2 flipped and unchamped, with 12 total dupes. I have 7 4*s counting Howard left to champ. In general I sell the 266 when the dupe is champed, since they are about as useful for pvp as they can be.
    Maybe since I don't start the dupe early that I don't feel the iso crunch. My dupe IM40 is covered, but the rest are not that close to being rechamped, so I am not worried about the iso it takes.

Question for @Daredevil217 and @Tony Foot , how much iso do you have and how many covers are in your queue right now? I just think covers don't come so fast that you can't build up the iso to champ one 3* at a time fairly easily. You don't need 127k iso x all those 3*s on hand. Champing 1 is an investment that will increase your iso earnings. Thats why I think not opening tokens is limiting your iso.

I only have 400k on hand, but I just leveled up OML to 360 for the wolverine pvp. I will make up that iso before I need it for any 3 or 4 champs.
  • Nick9819
    Nick9819 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    I typically sell my maxed 3* to champ the dup. only one I keep at 266 is thanos for pve. if you do a lot of LR keeping those that are boosted each week would be a good idea. you can try to save the maxed one till after there pvp is over then sell it by the next time it is around you will probably have a decent amount of levels on it. I have to start my third Lcap soon
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    What is the cost difference btw sell price and re-champ cost on a 3*?
  • bluewolf
    What is the cost difference btw sell price and re-champ cost on a 3*?
    Sell price = 105,000. Champ cost:  119,919+7500 = 127,419
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah I could not part with the 266s either so kept them all and created a dupe for everyone which I farm and flip when they reach 266.

Took a while to get going but am kinda post iso now so just reap the rewards from the farm now.