Forum thread

2»

Comments

• gibbojab
    gibbojab Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Smart80 said:
    Oh I remember the environmental tiles, but cant remember how they worked... just know i didnt liked the change, till i joined a real alliance.. :-)

who would like to help freshen my memory?

also, when was this list made? Date, or days ago so people can compare to their resupply day.. 
    Environmental tiles did various effects based on the level. One of them was Hot dog stand which healed your team and one of them did black widows move to steal ap. It was annoying because the level was random and you had no idea which environmental power the stage would be before hand. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually, there was one thing, that people asked about long ago (and sometimes now). Why we have 13 covers to max instead of logic choice of 15? Cause of hp, or later, cp spending, cause all chars will be too OP, cause of dozens of covers in cache to swap abilities if you need? Of course it was all fixed with championing, but I always thought that was a strange decision. If you changing the whole system, why not have all abilities full potential? But now we kind of have used to it, so who gives a ....
    I assume the decision was made to draw out the end game.  You might have fully covered and levelled up your character, but do you have the best build?  If you want to try other builds of the character, you needed to collect extra covers to respec them.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Smart80 said:
    Oh I remember the environmental tiles, but cant remember how they worked... just know i didnt liked the change, till i joined a real alliance.. :-)

who would like to help freshen my memory?

also, when was this list made? Date, or days ago so people can compare to their resupply day.. 
    List? Which list? The character rankings or the randomly selected list of vignettes?

The character rankings are from Dec 2013. The images are from late 2013 / early 2014.

What about resupply?

Here's an old review of the game that describes some of the environment tile effects:
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/marvel-puzzle-quest-dark-reign/Environmental_Tiles

Instead of teamup tiles powering selected TU powers, you collected environment AP. There were 2 environment effects, a light and a heavy. They were related to the backgrounds (city, forest, desert, lab, arctic), each had its own pair of effects. The backgrounds are still in the game, but have no meaning.

Some of them were poorly designed and quickly quaint, even back in the day. Hot dog stand healed your team for 50 health points. Once you passed 1*s, that was irrelevant. If it had been 5% instead, that would still be useful today!
    Thanks, its coming back to me now.

Ok, so dec 2013 is about 1550 days ago. I mentioned resupply to have some reference for myself, and others perhaps.

Im at 1360 in resupply. So, this was from before i started, but some were around at my start. 
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was annoying because the level was random and you had no idea which environmental power the stage would be before hand. 
    This is actually incorrect, at least for PvP. In PvP every event randomly (or maybe it rotated, I didn't pay enough attention to notice) chose 3 of the environments to put on the 3 different nodes. So, each node would have that environment for the entire event. Forest and Desert were favorites of mine since you could just run 1* storm, 2* Thor, and the featured character and basically go infinite on turn 1 or 2. I seem to remember lots of PvE happened to be in the lab setting, but I don't honestly remember that well. I do think you could tell what it was before starting the match by looking at the background though. 

Another little anecdote with environmental tiles. Using a crit to match them would produce a ton more environmental AP rather than damage since matching environmental tiles did no damage. It made using Punisher with CMags slightly more fun than the ubiquitous patchneto (Pun had a higher crit multiplier than Patch), since you could set up crits with environmental tiles and then accelerate the big effects which would often end the game.

I also remember winning a handful of matches at single digit health cause the AI decided to match environmental tiles (which it seemed to prioritize for some reason) as opposed to making literally any other match on the board and killing me. 
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I miss the old 1* Storm + desert environmental tile winfinite. Storm yellow would destroy all environmental tiles, giving AP.  The desert ability would convert random tiles to green, usually enough to power her green ability, which once fired, would almost always a) give you enough yellow to fire it again, and b) shuffle the board enough that more environmental tiles would appear.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    You got 3 chances to beat someone PVP? Storm had a red ability? Spid3y was considered the 2nd best character in the game? My head is spinning....

I played the game in mid-late 2014 before taking a pretty long hiatus and picking it up again Summer 2016, but I definitely missed just about all of this. XFW, Invisible Woman, and Fury were I think the only 4s, there were half as many 3-stars, and there was no champing. Despite all of our complaints of the current times, it's quite obvious that this game has come quite a long way. 
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Remember when Xverine and Invisible Woman were absolute rubbish? When Xverine was a Green/Red/Yellow character, and his Yellow was a 7-turn Countdown in order to heal? And IW's rubbish Yellow was like 29AP or something? (Someone kindly refresh my memory)

And yes, Spidey and CMags were kings. That's what happens when Spidey has a stun that costs 2AP, and Mags can convert literally any tiles (what was the number?) into Blue tiles for 5AP. You haven't seen winfinite unless you've seen those two
    3* Magneto made two Blue Protect tiles.

And to elaborate on Patchneto for those that don't know it, people would run Mags with Patch, and do Patch's green with some blue AP at the ready. As Magneto could place two blues on the board where you wanted, you could often find three other blues already available that could combine into a Critical tile with net 0 Blue AP change. I want to say most times you could make 2 to 3 match-5s before running out of blue candidates, but also gained other AP from auto-matches with the critical tile generation.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    I thought you guys were talking about mag2 who let you add 5 blues to the board instead of 3 now.. dont think i remember the old mag3
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    ZeiramMR said:
    Remember when Xverine and Invisible Woman were absolute rubbish? When Xverine was a Green/Red/Yellow character, and his Yellow was a 7-turn Countdown in order to heal? And IW's rubbish Yellow was like 29AP or something? (Someone kindly refresh my memory)

And yes, Spidey and CMags were kings. That's what happens when Spidey has a stun that costs 2AP, and Mags can convert literally any tiles (what was the number?) into Blue tiles for 5AP. You haven't seen winfinite unless you've seen those two
    3* Magneto made two Blue Protect tiles.

And to elaborate on Patchneto for those that don't know it, people would run Mags with Patch, and do Patch's green with some blue AP at the ready. As Magneto could place two blues on the board where you wanted, you could often find three other blues already available that could combine into a Critical tile with net 0 Blue AP change. I want to say most times you could make 2 to 3 match-5s before running out of blue candidates, but also gained other AP from auto-matches with the critical tile generation.
    Also for Patchneto, Magneto's red cost 2AP, so you could spam it for even more damage from Patch's strike tiles (and get some board shake).
  • loose5682
    loose5682 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    I remember those days, man that was awhile ago, especially healing as you level up. Good times (day 1594 here)
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    3* Magneto's winfinite was so easy to pull off even the AI could do it, same with Rags
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    I came in somewhere between them getting rid of the obscene amount of covers to level and them getting rid of environment tiles and weird boosts, because I definitely remember playing with those, and still have some of the weird boosts.

All of these changes and yet we still have the ability to pay HP to buy back a T/U that's out in the field.  Talk about a throwback mechanic.

And, man, do I miss Prologue healing with Fishnets.
  • McThunderpants
    McThunderpants Posts: 59 Match Maker
    3* Mags was the best. Matches would go on forever sometimes, but it was a guaranteed win as soon as you got a few blue. His change was the first time I experienced a nerf in this game. Learned that day we were all at the mercy of the devs.