I'm a Steam player and I'm leaving

lastbreath
lastbreath Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/784923/#Comment_784923

What a poor excuse! The game is not popular at Steam? And you are trying to popularize it by making its UI like ****? Wow! It will definitely provide a massive wave of new players!

This is **** joke! I could buy Witcher 3 GOTY and Wildlands with season pass for money I've spent on the game. And for what? For throwing this **** in my face? You don't do 3D models, you don't do animations, you don't do cutscenes, you draw **** pictures and you say you can't support them? What is so difficult to draw TWO different pictures for comfortable Steam UI, huh?

Enough. These were amazing two years of playing MPQ but i can't stay with it anymore. Now the game is atrocious and there is no fun to play it. Good luck, everyone. And bye.

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Due to the outcry I'm certain they will fix it.
  • Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    It's more and more looks like Gazillion Entertainment and Marvel Heroes  :( 
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Anon said:
    Due to the outcry I'm certain they will fix it.
    I'm not so sure.  Money Talks.  They need to see the impact to their bottom line and they need to properly attribute it to this change.  That might not happen.

I'm going to send an email to CS to make it clear why I'm cancelling my vip.  Just so that it is properly categorized.  I'm not going to rage or anything, but hopefully they will realize that it's not just a random drop.
  • LXSandman
    Borstock said:

What a poor excuse! The game is not popular at Steam? And you are trying to popularize it by making its UI like tinykitty? Wow! It will definitely provide a massive wave of new players!

This is tinykitty joke! I could buy Witcher 3 GOTY and Wildlands with season pass.
    Witcher 3's budget was $81mil.  Wildlands' budget information I can't find, but I'm guessing from internet speculation that it was at least $100mil.  Maybe a lot more?  GTA V's budget was roughly $265mil, as an example.

I don't know MPQ's budget, but actual development of a complex puzzle-based mobile game probably maxes out around $2mil. If MPQ costs significantly more than that, I would imagine it's only because they had to pay for the licensing rights.

Maybe your problem is you expect too much out of a free-to-play mobile game.
    Didn't you just make the opposite point?  If those games have such huge budgets and the OP can spend LESS money getting them doesn't that imply that MPQ might not be spending it's resources correctly?

None of us know how the financials are for this game, but it is true that the costs associated can be high when compared to other games due to the subscription style payments.  I'm not complaining (Much) about that though, it's a free to play game so they need to make money.  I just complain about them choosing to end support for a platform and then substituting a poor quality mobile port without thinking we would freakout. 
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    LXSandman said:
    Borstock said:

What a poor excuse! The game is not popular at Steam? And you are trying to popularize it by making its UI like tinykitty? Wow! It will definitely provide a massive wave of new players!

This is tinykitty joke! I could buy Witcher 3 GOTY and Wildlands with season pass.
    Witcher 3's budget was $81mil.  Wildlands' budget information I can't find, but I'm guessing from internet speculation that it was at least $100mil.  Maybe a lot more?  GTA V's budget was roughly $265mil, as an example.

I don't know MPQ's budget, but actual development of a complex puzzle-based mobile game probably maxes out around $2mil. If MPQ costs significantly more than that, I would imagine it's only because they had to pay for the licensing rights.

Didn't you just make the opposite point?  If those games have such huge budgets and the OP can spend LESS money getting them doesn't that imply that MPQ might not be spending it's resources correctly?

None of us know how the financials are for this game, but it is true that the costs associated can be high when compared to other games due to the subscription style payments.  I'm not complaining (Much) about that though, it's a free to play game so they need to make money.  I just complain about them choosing to end support for a platform and then substituting a poor quality mobile port without thinking we would freakout. 
    They also said they've played it for two years. Witcher Three is £35.00 and wilds about £50 - so let's say a hundred pound. So that's roughly $140 over two years (730 days) of continuously developed versus Witcher's 1-time production budget. Assuming they took all of the revenue (which they don't) it's still less than a dollar a day. 

I doubt they made a huge profit from those transactions. Just saying. 

• purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    don't know their budget but they did brag about 100 million dollars. 
    doesn't any of that translate into additional development resources? It's like they figured out how little they can feed the golden goose and still get eggs , then decided to cut off the silver chickens head cuz it's eggs are smaller.

#steamlivesmatter
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whales matter.
    Dolphins do not.
    Minnows matter least.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Instead of comparing mpq to Witcher 3, a better comparison would be to any of Square Enix’s pc ports. They are usually subpar compared to other PC games. This is because they created poor ports based on the console version.

why do you export more from d3 than Square Enix? Steam is riddled with poor PC ports. I figure you would be used to it. At least d3 has a decent excuse. They Made a good Steam UI but it takes too many resource to update both separately. If they gave you the old UI back, but killed the steam game by having no new characters, events, etc and make it like the console version how long do you think the game would last?
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    There's a difference between a poor pc port and a game that was perfectly fine on pc before having features intentionally removed.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    LXSandman said:
    Borstock said:

The original poster only spent money because he felt like it, not because he had to in order to play. This is a FREE game. If anything, the point is his money is going to something that might not deserve it  and he should reconsider how he spends in the future.

Expectations on this game are ridiculous from some people.  You want to support it? Please do. I do. But don't expect it to be something it isn't and then get angry when it fails to meet your absurd requirements.
  • LXSandman
    Borstock said:
    The original poster only spent money because he felt like it, not because he had to in order to play. This is a FREE game. If anything, the point is his money is going to something that might not deserve it  and he should reconsider how he spends in the future.

Expectations on this game are ridiculous from some people.  You want to support it? Please do. I do. But don't expect it to be something it isn't and then get angry when it fails to meet your absurd requirements.

Didn't he spend money on the other game because he felt like it as well? 

What do you mean "don't expect it to be something it isn't"? The steam player base is complaining because they removed something that it already WAS.

The fact is nobody but them know their financial situation.  I don't think that we should bother trying to figure out what is in fact "worth" it to them or not.  I have said on other threads that there isn't much point in complaining now that we know this is a permanent change.  Either suck it up and continue, modify your payments, or quit. 

But it seems to me that it is legitimate to complain or "get angry" when a company removes capabilities that a player base is used to.  Just because that section of the player base is smaller then another, doesn't invalidate their argument.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I believe you and I are talking about two completely different things. My objection is based on the OP comparison to games that are fundamentally different from conception to a free to play mobile game. The OP justifies this comparison by saying he spent the same amount of money, but he did not have to in order to get the experience of playing. He absolutely does have to in order to play those other games. He could spend $30k on MPQ, that doesn't mean he should compare it to a new car. It's still just what it is. 

• 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    The Developers should be grateful for all of the feedback, we true players provide them with. We have given them so many amazing ideas and fixes and most of the time they do not listen.

We are the real play testers of the game and they still manage to screw up big time, who’s in charge over there? They have such a good game here and they push on so many characters that they end up screwing up the coding that it then causes more problems!

When will this game work properly for everyone; now I just wonder if Adventure Time and The Magic The Gathering game has this many problems.

Devs if you aren’t implementing what the costumers want, you may be going down the rabbit hole of nothing but bugs and player loss.

Take a break from creating new characters for the game and take some time to fix everything possible for your game. It’s only logical, then maybe you will increase the money gained from us who enjoy the game daily. Money makes this game(world) go around, I get it. But now it is the time to listen to the people who play your game.

You all hang in there, I’m going to keep playing for a month or so and if after Avengers Infinity War, there are still so many bugs. I may say goodbye as well.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    LXSandman said:
    Borstock said:

Didn't he spend money on the other game because he felt like it as well? 

What do you mean "don't expect it to be something it isn't"? The steam player base is complaining because they removed something that it already WAS.

The fact is nobody but them know their financial situation.  I don't think that we should bother trying to figure out what is in fact "worth" it to them or not.  I have said on other threads that there isn't much point in complaining now that we know this is a permanent change.  Either suck it up and continue, modify your payments, or quit. 

But it seems to me that it is legitimate to complain or "get angry" when a company removes capabilities that a player base is used to.  Just because that section of the player base is smaller then another, doesn't invalidate their argument.

I think it’s a good lesson for spending in the free to play platform. Don’t play with more money than you’re willing to lose. I personally am a “2 buck chuck”.  And that’s only recently. That monthly pittance is all I throw at it. Never been VIP. If they nerf my favorite character, change the interface, or decide to close up shop I won’t complain about the money I spent because I made that choice knowing the game could change in an instance. I may stop supporting or playing depending on the change, but I wouldn’t talk about “I spent X, so deserve Y”. I know the OP wants their UI back and not a life lesson, but I think it’s important to taken owenship of what is yours. And the decision to spend X amount is always on the player, not the developers. 

To the OP, best of luck to you in life after MPQ!
  • Cormackie
    Cormackie Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    I moved from Steam to mobile on this update (transferred my account), and I don't regret it. I know not everyone has that choice if they don't wish to use their mobile for the game or don't have a mobile to play it on, but in case you didn't know the option is there I'll let you know. Mobile has had a lot recent updates to include the UI elements that made me want to originally use Steam 4 years ago (like the AP bar), and even has an added function to check the total power of strike, attack and defence tiles, it's not as bad as I thought. That, and not having to strictly be at home or have a laptop available at the same time everyday, has made me wish I did this ages ago.
    However, if you know this or it's not an option for you and you still wish to quit, best of luck (hope that doesn't come off as condescending lol).
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cormackie said:
    I moved from Steam to mobile on this update (transferred my account), and I don't regret it. I know not everyone has that choice if they don't wish to use their mobile for the game or don't have a mobile to play it on, but in case you didn't know the option is there I'll let you know. Mobile has had a lot recent updates to include the UI elements that made me want to originally use Steam 4 years ago (like the AP bar), and even has an added function to check the total power of strike, attack and defence tiles, it's not as bad as I thought. That, and not having to strictly be at home or have a laptop available at the same time everyday, has made me wish I did this ages ago.
    However, if you know this or it's not an option for you and you still wish to quit, best of luck (hope that doesn't come off as condescending lol).
    Welcome to mobile!

I do believe there are some steam players unaware this is an option. Thanks for giving them the heads up!
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's a difference between a poor pc port and a game that was perfectly fine on pc before having features intentionally removed.
    While I get your point, the whole issue here is that new features are being created for mobile and due to a limitation on resources and time cannot be ported to PC without cannibalizing the interface. That's the whole reason the UI changed. It's a deliberate "poor pc port" because otherwise, they wouldn't be able to update Steam at all (and given that this game subsists with week to week updates and changes, that would effectively mean abandoning Steam altogether).

It's not like they saw Steam's features and took them while laughing like a schoolyard bully. It's literally a poor pc port of new mobile features because they were unable to create a PC-specific interface to go along with it.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    JHawkInc said:
    While I get your point, the whole issue here is that new features are being created for mobile and due to a limitation on resources and time cannot be ported to PC without cannibalizing the interface. That's the whole reason the UI changed. It's a deliberate "poor pc port" because otherwise, they wouldn't be able to update Steam at all (and given that this game subsists with week to week updates and changes, that would effectively mean abandoning Steam altogether).

It's not like they saw Steam's features and took them while laughing like a schoolyard bully. It's literally a poor pc port of new mobile features because they were unable to create a PC-specific interface to go along with it.
    I saw this thread, and was going to post along similar lines. The game is about to add new features, such as [redacted], in time for the Avengers film, and simply couldn’t get the Steam UI to work on the same way as the Mobile, so made them match to implement the new features. If it’s worthwhile to them, they’ll go back and fix it the way it was, but it’s a business after all. 

I get the frustration, but how about this - would you rather have the new features with the option in the future of returning the UI if they get interest, or would you rather not have the new features that were not working in the Steam UI? Either way is bad, but I’m sure you don’t want to miss out on X or Y.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I'm a steam player and I'm not happy about these changes either which is to be expected.  I can't think of a game in history that has done this which creates an upsetting precedence.

On the other hand this is admittedly just a minor inconvenience.  It DOES impact my enjoyment of the game as I would normally apply my covers rather quickly but because of this horrible UI I now find myself hoarding for several days and just getting it all over with in a single 30 minute 'work' session so to speak.

Not ideal...but if this is what it takes to keep the PC version alive and updated with the mobile version then I'll take it.  I would rather be able to continue playing MPQ when it comes down to it.   That's me though.  I don't blame anyone out there for quitting because of this.