4* pvp

pfarewell
pfarewell Posts: 53 Match Maker
.     Many of us are at the point in the game where most of our 4* are champed and we're working on our 5* to varying degrees. Sadly, many of these champ 4* sit on a shelf, gathering dust. They get use only for champ levels and pve essentials. It would really spice up the stale 3* pvp to have 4* featured pvp events, especially with some of the older, classic 4*. As it is now, at least for myself, the 3* featured is mostly a spot occupier that does nothing other than take hits.

Comments

• ZommyGD
    ZommyGD Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Agreed.
    Maybe there can be a rotation, like one 4-star pvp after two 3-star pvps. Or one 4-star pvp event every week.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    The difference between a 270 4star and a 370 4star is much larger than between a 166 3star and a 266 3star. That is one issue they need to address to not drive away newer players or even those early in the 4-5 transition.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    I think the boost for the 4* featured would have to be softer than usual. To Daiches’ point, running a loaner against a max-champed 3* is still manageable, it is genuinely not against a lvl 479 4*. 

I think this this would be a great regular feature, and it would also encourage the new player base to lvl/use 4*s...all the newbie rosters I see have champed 3*s then low-cover but levelled 5*s. This is a pity as 4s are great and more interesting than blunt instrument match damage.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would love some more 4* pvp, but then I remember when they re ran Ghost Rider for Halloween one year while I was a 4* player without him champed. It was horrible.

Maybe an off season event? Use it to showcase the next 5* feeder?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are a lot of 3* players in this game that would be even further locked out of PVP every time these ran. So they could / should run 3 and 4* PVP at the same time, which effectively would double reward distribution.  Perhaps that is one reason they have not done it.

The other issue is that there would be more stores and therefore different distribution of 4* covers than the current model, which may also be something the devs don’t want to pursue. Consider that the new model of new release 4* pvp is giving the “and Friends” vault tokens. It used to be that the 4* pvp was a fantastic way to build a new character due to increased store odds.

Lastly, match length would be impacted, and while fighting champed GR isn’t bad, I would hate to have to fight a PVP of boosted 4RG plus 5*s.  There are numerous other 4s that would be giant health pack sucks. Urgh.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    I have six 4*'s champed and have had enough of a hard time moving up the ranks in PVP fighting 2 boosted 4* champ teams let alone add a 3rd one to it. Groups of 4*'s get boosted every week so you can use your dusty shelved 4*'s then. It's not our fault or 3* essential PVP's fault that so many 4*'s get shelved. It's the developers choice to flood the game with so many 4* releases in such short time that make most 4*'s obsolete.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Yes please . I have all but the two latest 4* champed and I'm so sick of 3* PvP. 
    For the most part I hardly ever notice the 3* is even there , they don't tank any colours and their damage is negligible.  I rarely ever get to use my 4*s because I'm always using 2 5* and the 3* . In simulator I use 3 5*.
    So it would really be nice to get a chance to use the 60 something 4*s I have just collecting dust 
  • bluewolf
    The developers don’t really have a choice about the flood of characters, as this is the revenue generating model they have moved into and trained the players to expect and reward.  2 weeks between characters.... most people are paid bi weekly... see the pattern?  They will follow it until it stops working.  There is no other dependable revenue generating content in the game as it currently exists.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    The developers don’t really have a choice about the flood of characters, as this is the revenue generating model they have moved into and trained the players to expect and reward.  2 weeks between characters.... most people are paid bi weekly... see the pattern?  They will follow it until it stops working.  There is no other dependable revenue generating content in the game as it currently exists.

Your regional bias is showing. Over here a monthly salary is the most common. Not that it really matters. There's no escaping the two week release Schedule, the best we can hope for is a temporary reprieve.
  • bluewolf
    Quebbster said:
    bluewolf said:

Your regional bias is showing. Over here a monthly salary is the most common. Not that it really matters. There's no escaping the two week release Schedule, the best we can hope for is a temporary reprieve.
    That’s a good point. Perhaps the stronger reason is that the developers are US based and have expectations based around that. Also, it’s just enough of a gap between Events (2 weeks) to create a bit of a special feel.  However, continued releases make each new character slightly less relevant as their boost cycle, Crash cycle, and essential runs get further and further apart.
  • pfarewell
    pfarewell Posts: 53 Match Maker
    I'm really just looking for something the spice up pvp. It is stale and the rewards pale in comparison to pve. Climbs in pvp include fights against primarily Thorbit teams and a couple of other gambit based teams. 
  • bluewolf
    I agree it’s stale thanks to Gambit.  If they implement a 4* PVP they need to tune down the boost level, at least. 

It’s interesting since players have been asking for this change to PVP for years and nothing has been done.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    pfarewell said:
    I'm really just looking for something the spice up pvp. It is stale and the rewards pale in comparison to pve. Climbs in pvp include fights against primarily Thorbit teams and a couple of other gambit based teams. 
    bluewolf said:
    I agree it’s stale thanks to Gambit. 
    Reason #64 to stay in 4-star land, the game's sweet spot.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    When I was a 3* player, and also when I had only a few 4*s, I hated this idea. Now that I have 50+ 4*s and one 5* champed I can see the appeal.

The important thing is not to shut smaller rosters out of PvP entirely, so I think having 3* events for SCLs 1-6 is still necessary. 

It wouldn't be a perfect solution, because SCLs are a blunt instrument when it comes to gauging roster strength. Perhaps there could maybe be an opt-out/in mechanic, where people who qualify for higher SCLs could have certain portions of their rosters benched in order to compete in the 3* events.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    I'm all for this, let's make this happen.  This way all the snipers in s4 will have a harder time hitting me and taking away all my points while I try to build points for my friends :smiley:  They are such meanies :disappointed:
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 said:
    I'm all for this, let's make this happen.  This way all the snipers in s4 will have a harder time hitting me and taking away all my points while I try to build points for my friends :smiley:  They are such meanies :disappointed:
    Honestly, 4* PvP, especially with the current boost will allow more players to punch above their weight. You’re already constrained to using Gambit (and probably Thor) to be competitive at a high level. The 3* is the 3rd wheel and rarely affects the outcome of the match. But if I can have my max champed Riri around as a 3rd? That opens up play options considerably. 
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    OJSP said:
    ZeroKarma said:
    But if I can have my max champed Riri around as a 3rd? That opens up play options considerably. 
    Actually, I believe that would also restrict our MMR even more. We'll likely won't see others without max champed featured 4* until we break MMR.
    As long as I can q you OJSP!

I kid! I kid!
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    I agree something like this is needed but recognising for those without a high 4* then a 4* pvp could be brutally painful what about a mixed event

thor - use either the 3* or 4* and give loaners for both similar to the dead pool event 

and where there isn’t a direct mirror make some canon inspired pairings - KK and Medusa / Torch and Thing 

something to get those 4*s off the bench and used is needed and pvp really needs something new to freshen it up - aside from player invented rage on Line the gameplay itself is monotonous 
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    ZeroKarma said:
    grunth13 said:
    Honestly, 4* PvP, especially with the current boost will allow more players to punch above their weight. You’re already constrained to using Gambit (and probably Thor) to be competitive at a high level. The 3* is the 3rd wheel and rarely affects the outcome of the match. But if I can have my max champed Riri around as a 3rd? That opens up play options considerably. 
    But think of the speed I could generate with an active blue, black a yellow user that doesn't need 21 ap to do anything.  I could really generate points for my friends before the snipers get me.