Brigby - is there a plan for DST? (again)

huktonfonix
huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
Starting a new thread per forum rules, but previous thread is still applicable: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/68539/brigby-is-there-a-plan-for-dst

@Brigby

Clocks change forward 1 hour this weekend for those locations that observe Daylight Saving Time.  This is all but guaranteed to ruin my children's sleep schedules, but also negatively impact players in S5 PVE, disrupt PVP shield timers, etc.  I started the above thread 6 months ago, and again the time change caused major disruptions, so I'm trying again.

Was the boss event scheduled this weekend a deliberate decision to mitigate some of these issues?  If that is the solution, rather than code changes, color me impressed.  Still, communication on other impacts players could experience, and mitigation strategies would be helpful.

Examples of problems observed in the past include:
  • Events/sub events ending an hour early, or ending and then re-opening.
  • Players active during the time change finding their entire roster "downed" and in need of health packs simultaneously
  • Node progress (clears) wiped away
  • PVP shields expiring at the wrong times

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @huktonfonix Thanks for bringing this topic up again! The team is definitely aware of the clocks moving forward 1 hour this weekend, and they're looking into what can be done to prevent any issues from occurring, or mitigating the issues that may occur. They've spent a significant amount of time looking into this, but with the variety of issues that have arisen in the past, it's hard to identify the exact reason(s) causing them.

What we are currently looking for are any patterns that might clue us in as to what's triggering these issues. For example, do players in different areas of the world experience this issue at the same time as everyone else? Does the app need to be open at the exact moment of the time change? Etc.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    No time slices at all would make this problem go away
     ;)   :p
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    No time slices at all would make this problem go away
     ;)   :p
    Wrong.  As in the past people’s characters died completely during this time change. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hawaii and Arizona don’t observe DST.  Florida just voted to stop observing it. I’m not sure what happens with MPQ in HA and AZ, but maybe someday it’ll be gone everywhere. 
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Hadronic said:
    Lets nip the real problem in the bud.
    get rid of daylight savings time.

i think we need to move to a different forum
    Solidarity! I am with you! Away with DST!
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:
    Hawaii and Arizona don’t observe DST.  Florida just voted to stop observing it. I’m not sure what happens with MPQ in HA and AZ, but maybe someday it’ll be gone everywhere. 
    I'm in AZ and while it is true we don't observe DST we still suffer the same ill side effects that everyone else reports. Because we don't observe DST our actual event end times shift by an hour as DST comes and goes. Still end up with dead characters and the like. Looking forward to DST though, it means I'll get to go to sleep earlier.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

I love the time shift myself since it usually means more bearable PvE end times. Too bad it couldn't be a permanent shift throughout the year, that one hour makes a lot of difference!

Anyway... I have never had any issues with the time shift, but it happens when I am asleep so that might mitigate things a bit.

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Europe only has DST on March 25th. Yay, 2 weeks of shifted slices.
  • Quebbster
    Daiches said:
    Europe only has DST on March 25th. Yay, 2 weeks of shifted slices.

Best time of the year! In the fall we only get one week.

I Heard the European Union is considering getting rid of Daylight Savings Time too...

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

I love the time shift myself since it usually means more bearable PvE end times. Too bad it couldn't be a permanent shift throughout the year, that one hour makes a lot of difference!

Anyway... I have never had any issues with the time shift, but it happens when I am asleep so that might mitigate things a bit.

I forget whether or not DST shifts the end times for good. Currently my end time for S4 is 8 PM. Does this mean the new end time will be 9 PM until the next DST? Also will Lightning Rounds be affected?  Might need to change those seed alarms!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster said:

I forget whether or not DST shifts the end times for good. Currently my end time for S4 is 8 PM. Does this mean the new end time will be 9 PM until the next DST? Also will Lightning Rounds be affected?  Might need to change those seed alarms!

If you are in the US observing DST, the only events affected will be the ones running during the switch. The ones ending after the switch will have their start time adjusted accordingly. Ultron ends at 1 PM EDT instead of midnight EST, and God of Lies will also end at a different time than usual.

Lightning rounds may shift their start times from odd hours to even hours though (or vice versa depending on your time zone) though. 

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    ^^^

So you are saying that every event after Ultron and god of lies will end at 12 instead of 1 as per usual?
  • Quebbster
    ^^^

So you are saying that every event after Ultron and god of lies will end at 12 instead of 1 as per usual?

That's the short version, yes. But for me every event will end an hour later for two weeks, which puts me in a much better grinding position for PvE.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Any shifts are very temporary, usually.  You need to pay attention to the events. I think the only ongoing change will be when your daily reward cycle hits.
  • Seriously
    Seriously Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Man, this totally threw me, didn't realise daylight saving times changed on different dates for different countries (in the UK it's the last Sunday of March).
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh you Northern Hemisphere guys.  For us south of the equator, events move an hour then another hour every 6 months or so.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Already planning on a shift for next weeks lightning rounds.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Make sure you check the end of season and lastno PVP event.  Last time the season ended before the last PVP event did.  
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Make sure you check the end of season and lastno PVP event.  Last time the season ended before the last PVP event did.  
    This sounds like the devs I know