Deadpool’s Daily Drag

professorplum9
professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler

First, I’d like to apologize for the somewhat negative tone of the title. Deadpool’s Daily Quest has been a great boon to my MPQ roster development. I can still remember the first time I beat The Big Enchilada (back in the 4 wave days) with my go to team of Thormneto, it was exhilarating. It was a key to finishing off my 3* characters and the anticipation would build from weeks away when I knew for sure that final 13th cover would be forthcoming as a DDQ reward. It was a little sad when that tier was all finished and those covers that were so eagerly waited for became just another 500iso, but fortunately champing came along to solve that (at least for a time). I remember the frustration of trying to attempt the Crash of the Titans with a poorly covered/leveled 4*, but also the exultation as finally each character got to the point where they could prevail in that 1-vs-1 match-up. I appreciate the freshness that was added with the Behemoth Burrito. Usually the teams they pick have some nice synergies and it adds a nice bit of variety to the daily grind. The 2CP reward adds up quickly over time and is not too shabby. So that’s the good (and don’t get me wrong there’s a lot of good with this particular event and I don’t want to come across as ungrateful).

However, after years of playing the game I’m pleased to report (and I have to think that there are hundreds if not thousands in this same boat) that DDQ is a foregone conclusion. In other words, there are no doubts that I will have all the necessary characters at all the necessary levels to beat all the nodes. The Big Enchilada is usually over in two moves (on several rare occasions less). Dat Required Character is usually over in one move. Under the Sea and the Third Time’s the Charm take a little bit more time to complete (somewhat dependent on where the 2* farm is at). I’ve timed myself on several occasions and am usually able to do all the nodes in less than 10 minutes (maybe a little more on Crash days). So that may not seem like much and I know there’s a large segment of the population that this is all they do any more. However, for players who are still actively participating in the ongoing PVE and PVP events this represents something on the order of an hour a week that is more of a daily chore than anything. Don’t get me wrong in terms of ISO, CP, HP (via Taco Tokens), Covers, etc. this is still a very good bang for the buck. However, I still think this represents an opportunity to get rid of some of the grindiness of the game. It seems like they could easily check to see if you’ve got all of the required characters at a certain level (or even require champed) and if you were to spend 10 minutes in some other aspect of the game credit you for playing DDQ.

Or come up with a DDQ that changes based on your SCL and offers more nodes that encourage a wider variety of your roster to be used. There was a time when these 2* and 1* nodes might have been a good idea to encourage people to keep these characters rostered, but with the introduction of champions people are going to keep their 2* around to farm rewards. A lot of people are going to keep their 1* around for TU purposes (here’s to you MBW and 1HE). Now, (again for certain segments of the MPQ population) it would be more fun to have nodes that required specific 4* teams (there are a lot of 4* characters I’ve champed and hardly ever used). I’m not saying I’d like to spend more time on this daily event, but rather than just clock in 10 minutes on a mindless grind I’d like to see some variety and/or be presented with a challenge that is both rewarding and offers the same exhilaration I felt when I beat the Big Enchilada for the 1st time or a particular characters Crash.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018

I would prefer an Auto-DDQ. The system checks if you successfully completed DDQ everyday for the past 30-days (or more) and if you are a specific Shield Rank (65+), then it simply gives you all the node and progression rewards (except Crash). This way I don't have to waste my time everyday playing it. That extra time can be used towards PVP or PVE, which actually use healthpacks to generate revenue for the game.

There was an in-game survey over a year ago asking if we would want auto-play. Nothing ever came from that but DDQ is a perfect example of how it can be used.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    A new resource for auto-play would be nice. Something you earn as a prize. Like an auto-play token that you could collect and hoard. It could be a prize in one of the DDQ nodes, and maybe in the occasional PvE node. They wouldn't be eligible to use in PvP, but you could use them in certain DDQ nodes (like the 1-star and 2-star nodes) and in any repeatable PvE node (edit: as long as you have any of the required characters, if applicable).
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,196 Chairperson of the Boards
    They need to add a 4 star node or something that is daily.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    While I mostly agree with the OP, the problem I have with it is that its asking for something vague and nostalgic that I kinda think the game can't really provide to you anymore. Its the same issue I have with people who want to bring back heroics. Forcing you to use different teams isn't going to unlock some feelings you had for the game. Its just going to disappoint you that what normally would have ended the match didn't because you couldn't use your normal team.
    They could add daily achievements for using a certain amount of different characters, different buff mechanics, etc to promote using more of your roster, but unless they add new mechanics like Kaecilius or the Infinity Gem or Apocalypse boss battles, I don't think it would feel any different.

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Given everyone agrees the 1v1 node is awesome, why not a daily 1v1 with 4* vs 4* that rewards 5cp?
    I'd definitely get behind this!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    Its the same issue I have with people who want to bring back heroics. Forcing you to use different teams isn't going to unlock some feelings you had for the game. Its just going to disappoint you that what normally would have ended the match didn't because you couldn't use your normal team.
    I don't want Heroics back because I'm looking for nostalgia, I want Heroics back because I'm tired of meeting Rocket and Groot.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:
    Straycat said:
    Its the same issue I have with people who want to bring back heroics. Forcing you to use different teams isn't going to unlock some feelings you had for the game. Its just going to disappoint you that what normally would have ended the match didn't because you couldn't use your normal team.
    I don't want Heroics back because I'm looking for nostalgia, I want Heroics back because I'm tired of meeting Rocket and Groot.
    One of the problem with Heroics is that it seemed like they just randomly picked characters out of a hat. I'm talking about "requiring" teams with some natural synergy. The thrill/rush I'm seeking isn't meant to just come from using seldom used characters, but also punching above the weight class as it were. Again, I'm not looking to spend more time, but if I have to spend 10 minutes of game time I'd rather do something that is a little more challenging and leaves you with a sense of accomplishment (like doing the Big Enchilada with 2* did while working on the 3* transition) and has rewards that feel more meaningful and appropriate for your current roster level. Perhaps that is too much to expect out of DDQ (hence the bypass option), but anything to add more puzzle and less grind to the game would be welcome.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    To mix things up, I like to build a team around the 'Dat Required Character' when doing "The Big Enchilada' - make them earn their own darned cover!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use the DDQ as an excuse to play my two- and Three-star characters. In all other game nodes they are mostly filler, so it's good to give them a chance to flex their muscles just a Little bit.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,030 Chairperson of the Boards
    To mix things up, I like to build a team around the 'Dat Required Character' when doing "The Big Enchilada' - make them earn their own darned cover!
    I have often thought that they should scrap that node and just make it a requirement of doing the BE but then that might not be too kind on lower rosters who need to bring their A team to win it.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    I love DDQ.  Largely because it's the most consistent thing in the game by far.  In a game that's ruled by RNG at almost every turn, the real boss is randomness.  In DDQ I know what to expect, about how much time to invest, and what I'm getting, everyday.  I personally think the game needs more things like this, not less.

Now that's not to say that DDQ couldn't use a boost.  It's well overdue for it to offer a daily 4* cover similar to how 3* covers are offered.
    Given everyone agrees the 1v1 node is awesome, why not a daily 1v1 with 4* vs 4* that rewards 5cp?
    I can guarantee everyone doesn't agree with that.  I'm not a fan of the 1v1 node.  There are far too many characters who are largely support that struggle on their own.  It's a nice challenge every once in a while, but I wouldn't want it daily personally.

Also I really don't understand the people asking for auto-play.  You want the game to play itself?  Then what's the point?  I have to assume you don't really want auto-play, you want free rewards....
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the levels that are 3*s and up. I skip the ones that are 2*s and lower, because they are too slow and boring for me. Sure, it's great to win 1500 iso and 2 taco tokens, but to me, it's just not worth it for a painfully slow experience. As a seasoned player, I wish there was some way I could skip those or use a 5* to clean them up.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 said:
    I like the levels that are 3*s and up. I skip the ones that are 2*s and lower, because they are too slow and boring for me. Sure, it's great to win 1500 iso and 2 taco tokens, but to me, it's just not worth it for a painfully slow experience. As a seasoned player, I wish there was some way I could skip those or use a 5* to clean them up.
    That's a good call, rather than auto-play just removing the only 1* team and only 2* team restrictions from the first 3 nodes would make it go much faster.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,030 Chairperson of the Boards
    At least Under the Sea is sometimes interesting if I'm in the middle of a particularly big farming rebuild. Not that I can recall losing it in a very long while.

But having Juggernaut headbutt people to death for years on end now is a bit of a drag.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    I am so bored with it that I am leveling 1* Spider-Man, slowly, just to have another 1* to use besides Juggernaut.  But I definitely play with top characters to minimize time spent.  I believe that it’s meant to be a simple event that is meant to allow a few things:
    1.  Beginning rosters can feel a sense of development as they can complete more and more of it
    2.  A quick resource boost for developed rosters
    3.  A very short event that you can complete within 15 minutes a day, which is valuable for players who find time short on certain days or decide to take a break from the game for a bit.

I’d like some additional Crash per day for some additional CP, perhaps, but it’s not bad in its current state.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,326 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    I think for me, an SCL that scaled up the nodes to my normal play would be fun, assuming that the rewards went up accordingly. But if the DDQ is actually intended to be a barometer of roster growth, maybe the answer would need to take the form of a 4* required that gave out a suitable reward, which given the number of 4*s in the game it seems reasonable would be a guaranteed 4* cover, and then have the Crash be 5* based instead.