Stealth nerf to 5* Peter Parker? [Fixed]

edgewriter
edgewriter Posts: 68 Match Maker
I have both 5* Peter Parker (Red suit) and 5* Old Man Logan maxed. I use them together on teams quite a bit since they do so much match damage and don't really have power crossover. The only downside to maxing Peter next to OML was that Peter's match damage was slightly higher than OML's in both red and Team up tiles. This meant that Peter jumped in front for red, blue, green, and team up matches while OML only jumped in front for Black and Yellow. Therefore Peter took a lot more damage than I liked, negating some of the usefulness of OML's true healing.

After today's update, I noticed that OML's red tiles had taken over the board. Now I looked at the match damage levels and Peter Parker's are lower than OML.I don't have yesterday's figures, but here are what I see right now.

5* Spider-Man Level 452: Red - 464 Blue - 596 Green - 530 Team up - 325
5* OML level 451 : red - 489 Yellow - 559 Black - 629 Team Up - 31

Now this means that Spider Man takes less damage when I have the two teamed together, however it appears to be a big drop from Spider Man's match damage overall. Before today, his blue did more damage than OML's black.

I guess it makes sense that Wolverine would do more base damage than Spider Man in general, but why the change and why wasn't it announced? I haven't seen any other changes to their abilities.

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    according to a spreadsheet, SMPP used to have Blue at 159 @ level 255.  in game now he has blue at 147 @ 255.....

guess we need to wait and see what News and Announcements say....
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018

This is from his character thread:
    Cthulhu said:

Spider-Man (Peter Parker) 

5 Star Rarity (Epic)

At Max Level: HP:  52337    82/646/75/4.3x/502/574/69/325 

It's definitely lowered right now.  :(

For a moment, when I started reading the OP, I hoped it was a mistake and OML actually got HIS match damage buffed... *sigh*
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    thats where i spent my math.  checking how much OML went up.....he didnt :(
  • edgewriter
    edgewriter Posts: 68 Match Maker
    At least I know that I'm not crazy. I always thought it was weird that Spider Man had higher damage than OM but since I had enough covers to match him I wasn't complaining. I have always felt like powerhouse characters should have boosted standard match damage. 3*Hulk should hurt someone more with a regular smack than say Black Widow or Storm or the Hood.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    SMPP’s power damage is the same as before, based on the character thread information.

Match damage has been subject to definite power creep among the 5* tier.  Almost every recent 5 is higher than the ones before it with some variation.  Poor Phoenix’s match damage is dead last in the tier.

Match damage overall has no relationship to the character’s canon strength.  5DD should not hit harder than, say, BSSM or GG who both can lift around 10 tons, but that’s what we have in game.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    I noticed this yesterday when gambit stop tanking red for Thor I think. But it’s definitely a change for multiple 5’s.

are they going to address this?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Match damage did get adjusted when Champion levels were introduced - suddenly level 166 Three-stars became a lot weaker. Perhaps they are preparing for Another similar change?

Pure speculation on my part, of course.

• madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Hmm, yes I noticed this too with my champed PP. Any official comment on this?
    @Brigby
    @Tombstone
  • I certainly hope there is a good explanation. Looks like 1*Spider-Man stealth modification without any communication at the moment
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said: 89
    SMPP’s power damage is the same as before, based on the character thread information.

Match damage has been subject to definite power creep among the 5* tier.  Almost every recent 5 is higher than the ones before it with some variation.  Poor Phoenix’s match damage is dead last in the tier.

Match damage overall has no relationship to the character’s canon strength.  5DD should not hit harder than, say, BSSM or GG who both can lift around 10 tons, but that’s what we have in game.
    But this isn't power creep. This is a slightly newer 5* having match damage lowered. And we probably could all agree if any 5* could use a slight lowering it wouldn't have been peter.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    bluewolf said: 89

But this isn't power creep. This is a slightly newer 5* having match damage lowered. And we probably could all agree if any 5* could use a slight lowering it wouldn't have been peter.
    I was - not very clearly, apparently - addressing the fact that as 5’s come out, the match damage has been steadily increasing. And that canon strength has *nothing* to do with match damage in game.  Among the 5 tier, Surfer should be a top 5-10 match damage dealer, certainly not below DD or SL, from the point of view of powers/canon strength level.

I have no explanation for this drop in SMPP’s damage.  I am leaning towards weird bug, though.
  • thedarkphoenix
    I really want an answer on this, it’s not just Spider-Man 

@Brigby
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. There appears to be a bug that was introduced in R147 that caused Spider-Man (Peter Parker) and Black Bolt (Inhuman King) to do less match damage. This issue is anticipated to be addressed in tomorrow's daily patch. Apologies for the inconvenience and confusion.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,778 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s a remap of the match damage prior to 6 star peter porker and setting the way for 6 stars.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Why don't they just standardize 5 Star Match Damage & Health like every other Star tier?

1) Create 6 Match Damage Progressions tiers from Strongest Match, on down to weakest
    2) For each 5 Star character, set these based on their power/color distribution
    3) Create a set of 5 Star Health Progression tiers, like every other Star tier has
    4) For each 5 Star character, set this based on the character's "hardiness", or however they decide this for the other tiers (Highest for Thanos, lowest for Dr. Strange, etc.). 

#3 & #4 sort of exist now but it's a mess, as each character has their own unique progression tier (with very few exceptions) unlike the other Star categories.  It would streamline things quite a bit.

I always found it annoying that each 5 Star has their own Match damage & Heath progressions.
    There is no way to know how a given 5 Stat will progress as they level, so you can't prepare for the situation that the OP had set his team to (making sure certain characters tank specific colors). 
    This is especially true for brand new ones, where no info is available yet.

The 5 Star tier is no longer a special elite club anymore, and hasn't been for over a year at least.
    It's time it stopped being treated like one with all of these special case design decisions that complicates the game.

• Bowgentle said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. There appears to be a bug that was introduced in R147 that caused Spider-Man (Peter Parker) and Black Bolt (Inhuman King) to do less match damage. This issue is anticipated to be addressed in tomorrow's daily patch. Apologies for the inconvenience and confusion.
    Looking forward to seeing the feature coming in the next update that requires that match damage adjustment.

Stuff like that doesn't happen "by accident" in MPQ.
    So very true
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    Brigby said:
    Looking forward to seeing the feature coming in the next update that requires that match damage adjustment.

Stuff like that doesn't happen "by accident" in MPQ.
    I bet on: all but one, 5* match damage reduction.

you may bet who is the exception... ;-)
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    As someone who mostly has lower level / 1-5 cover 5* characters, using them boosted in PVE is quite illuminating.  I used a 1 cover boosted 5* Black Panther in the last PVE and used him over many of my champ 4* just because his match damage was so outrageous.  I would not be surprised if MPQ "data analysis" indicates people using boosted 5* just for the massive match damage in PVE and Demi isn't excited about this for whatever reason (I could guess).  

So, my tinfoil hat suggests they may be "tweaking" match damage for 5* in the near future - maybe they will reduce the ISO requirements to level 5* as a tradeoff or something else....
  • thedarkphoenix
    maybe 6 stars are coming or some kind or prestige, that lets you champ again after maxing out a character.