Empty Wallets

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
What is going on with all of these special offers? Many players in this game budget a certain amount of money each week / month for special offers, 2 a week is not only expensive it will give us nothing to look forward to while we await RIX. 

I would love to own 3/4 of the exclusives and I like buying the PW, it's important to me, because I enjoy this game, to spend a bit of money here and there, but $160 in 2 weeks is just too much and completely unreasonable.

The only thing I can think of is that these offers will be recycled (like they did with the HoU exclusives towards the end), however if this is the case, please tell us -- this would be a great use of the inbox. (Maybe even an exclusive offer schedule.)

At the rate it's going, we are looking at almost $300 USD in just 4 weeks. That's a lot to ask of a player who has a family and bills and normal life -- and a lot of your consumers are these people;  the ones who budget a bit every week for their hobbies, not the ones who have unlimited income to spend on cards and PW.

With only 3 PW and 4 exclusive cards in this set, it would be nice to see this slowed down a bit... (unless RIX is coming out in the next couple of weeks). 

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    What is going on with all of these special offers? Many players in this game budget a certain amount of money each week / month for special offers, 2 a week is not only expensive it will give us nothing to look forward to while we await RIX. 

I would love to own 3/4 of the exclusives and I like buying the PW, it's important to me, because I enjoy this game, to spend a bit of money here and there, but $160 in 2 weeks is just too much and completely unreasonable.

The only thing I can think of is that these offers will be recycled (like they did with the HoU exclusives towards the end), however if this is the case, please tell us -- this would be a great use of the inbox. (Maybe even an exclusive offer schedule.)

At the rate it's going, we are looking at almost $300 USD in just 4 weeks. That's a lot to ask of a player who has a family and bills and normal life -- and a lot of your consumers are these people;  the ones who budget a bit every week for their hobbies, not the ones who have unlimited income to spend on cards and PW.

With only 3 PW and 4 exclusive cards in this set, it would be nice to see this slowed down a bit... (unless RIX is coming out in the next couple of weeks). 
    perhaps they realize mtgpq is a sinking ship and are milking this cash cow for everything its got before they abandon ship ;)

Really hope that's not the case, but the thought has crossed my mind once or twice.
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options

My guess (and it's only that) is that people aren't spending enough on crystals to get the regular cards, so they're making up for it with cash cows.

• FindingHeart8
    Options
    NinjaE said:

My guess (and it's only that) is that people aren't spending enough on crystals to get the regular cards, so they're making up for it with cash cows.

I'm honestly surprised they went the route they did with this.  Yeah power creep is a significant issue with card games but more often than not it's beneficial for the company's revenue.  My only rational conclusion at this time is that they know what they are doing and are jumping ship with as much money as they can get from us, or they have no idea what they're doing and in their ignorance are committing financial seppuku.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Maybe they are rushing to a fast rivals release?

Still, I'm disappointed and feel the timing wasn't thought out.

I actually wanted Grishath, but a week aprox before receiving salary is a no go :(

Sales should always be at the start of the month when customers have the most cash to spend!
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd rather say it's connected to fact that fiscal year ends ;)
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think they are so behind due to the great work of Heibernum, that they were forced to rush it at us so as to be able to get Rivals out, while still running the “Standard” release schedule of new sets. I would have done it differently. But I don’t work for D3 or Oktagon. I’m just the poor customer.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Options
     Am i the only one surprised about the price of the bundles? 
       With the december offers i thought they had decided to apply more decent prices. Instead of that they kept the cost of exclusives mythics AND reduce the currencies that came along with them considerably. 
      Prices were already high for a card (not to mention the standard rotation) but at leat you knew you would get half a mythic and half a premium pack thanks to the currencies. Now the jewels and crystals added look like peanuts ...
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I bought the stuff I wanted....

I'm'actually happy they  are running all the offers quickly, giving us the chance to play exclusive stuff earlier in the game.

I do hope they will return so people have a second chance
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It’s good move to offer the cards multiple times per set. If it’s good it will sell.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Froggy said:
    I think they are so behind due to the great work of Heibernum, that they were forced to rush it at us so as to be able to get Rivals out, while still running the “Standard” release schedule of new sets. I would have done it differently. But I don’t work for D3 or Oktagon. I’m just the poor customer.

I think there was such a long term financial hole from Hibernum problems and the following chaos that they need to recover some money to even finish getting RIX out.

We are SOOOO lucky the game didn't fold then (maybe some of you don't think so, but I do.) but this is one of the costs. They couldn't push for it until now.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I wonder how profitable adventure time  and marvel PQ are?
  • HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    They pulled the plug on Adventure Time last year, according to the forum below ours.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    They pulled the plug on Adventure Time last year, according to the forum below ours.
    I wonder if the people who bought content in Adventure TIme got their money back O.o
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Luckily all the cards are horrible and not worth a buy anyway, so Vraska is the only thing you'll need.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Marvel is a goldmine with at least 10x the active player base just based on the few events I join there. 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Marvel is a goldmine with at least 10x the active player base just based on the few events I join there. 

Yep. Marvel is a shallower far less interesting game, but it has much broader appeal partly because of the brand and tie ins and also the general populace likes shallow things.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wonder if the people who bought content in Adventure TIme got their money back O.o
    Why?  No one should expect app game purchases to have infinite value and lifetimes.  App game purchases are intended to be transitory entertainment value.  Much like paying to go see a movie or attend a concert.  It's up to an individual to decide if their projected short term entertainment is worth the price tag.

I don't regret buying DLC content for games that I've long since stopped playing.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    James13 said:
    Why?  No one should expect app game purchases to have infinite value and lifetimes.  App game purchases are intended to be transitory entertainment value.  Much like paying to go see a movie or attend a concert.  It's up to an individual to decide if their projected short term entertainment is worth the price tag.

I don't regret buying DLC content for games that I've long since stopped playing.

you don't buy things, just rent them for a time. It just gets more obvious in these situations.

eg. when you buy a car you don't actually know when it will get smashed or stolen or breakdown and cost more, it's worded like you own it, but really you are only buying the use of it for a limited time. Whether or not you get your money worth is just luck.

• FindingHeart8
    edited February 2018
    Options
    James13 said:

I get what you're saying.  To be honest I never really got invested in the Adventure Time franchise, so I don't know how long the game has been out.  From the little that I've picked up here and there, I got the impression it's only been out for a short while.  If that premise is true, then I would equate purchasing content with a very limited time frame that the player-base may be unaware of to be closer to being scammed (if the game is shut down and you are no longer able to use the content you purchased).  I say this though abstractly, as unforeseen circumstances can cause businesses (and app projects) to fail.  Either way, app purchases really should come with a warranty
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's off topic at this point, but I guess I wanted to reply.  Adventure Time PQ was released in 2015.  Last update was mid 2017.  It still exists and runs, just isn't getting active development.  I've never tried it, personally.