RTO is ...

Options
2»

Comments

• wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well... I suffered through this event and finished all nodes.

Ugh... I would hate to play RTO on a regular basis.

There are too many nodes to play.

While I appreciated the attempt at encouraging Ixalan Tribal cards, the secondary objectives were terrible.

Enough of the finish with < 20 life, or kill 5 enemy creatures. They are both a real drag.
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think I will not be able to play competitively if this event length continues. The only solution will be to create really fast decks, but then I will have to ignore many objectives and thus do poorly (esp since the objectives count so much now!).
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby kill x creatures objectives are very bad objectives while killing creatures in the battleground in the last turn does not count because a well known/reported/old bug.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    NDZahmbie said:
    @Brigby can d3 issue a statement about the incredible time investment required for RtO?

The tediousness of the event made it so unenjoyable.

Could d3 relax some objectives - or change some altogether - to introduce some fun back into the event?

The community reaction seems so bad that players are seriously considering playing less, possibly giving up the game entirely if this event continues to be such a grind...

And I'm posting as a first place finisher for my platinum bracket. Even the first place payout WAS NOT WORTH THE TIME INVESTMENT.
    pssssh, you think you're special with your first place.  I got first place too ;)
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rafalele said:
    @Brigby kill x creatures objectives are very bad objectives while killing creatures in the battleground in the last turn does not count because a well known/reported/old bug.

Yes, the 'last blow" killing the planeswalker messes up a LOT of different requirements, it's a bug that absolutely need fixing high priority, but it's a bug that covers a lot of different symptoms.

People have talking about life gain for the life objectives, but also a creaturer with lifegain that does the killing blow kills them before it chanages your health, these things ALL need to resolve.

It includes the last turn not turning up in the BattleLog properly, but that's actually important for bug checking too. I've had to raise bugs about how I died because it wasn't in the battle log and it seems totally implausible. If I could've checked maybe I wouldn't have raised a potentially spurious bug report.

Proper error data is very very important and we don't have it which also means they don't have it.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hmm. Last blow is actually resembling paper. All dmg is executed in the same time, all state based effects are checked. 
    (but worth noting that this is only thing in combat exactly as in paper ;)
  • joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    While I didn't finish near the top, I also played all the matches. After last weekend I know that I would never do that again if the event were to continue the way it appeared in this first installment.
    In addition I would like to suggest that all coalition events end on Sunday. Having a coalition event run during the working week is not a good idea, I think.
  • theobserver
    theobserver Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Last blow is not a bug. It's consistent with the mechanics of this game. 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Last blow is not a bug. It's consistent with the mechanics of this game. 
    It would be EXCEPT for the requirements, it does not work as a reasonable person would expect it to work, also (with berserker and trample) the creature takes lethal damage first and should die and be added to the creature count _before_ the planeswalker dies.

The worst part though is that it's not added to the battle log and you can BET it's not added to their debug logs on their side either, which means that if there's any dispute about a game they don't have proof about how it ended.

Since placings and prizes depend on this it breaks gaming regulations in some countries. It's beyond an "inconvenient bug", it's a very serious thing.

• theobserver
    Options
    Except, in no part of the game does the creature die first as you claim to expect. The mechanic is consistent and transparent. Creatures die at end of combat phase. Plane walkers die immediately. This happens consistently no matter if it is the last turn or not. (your so called dead creature can actually be saved by a combat buff in a later part of the combat phase via mechanics after taking lethal damage) Your request is to change a mechanic not fix a bug.

A real bug would be the background healing one. It is neither consistent nor transparent, and is clearly not working as intended. That one needs fixing.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Ok, maybe there are more complexities then.

It's still counter intuitive and confusing...

It just doesn't mesh with the objectives structure.
    With the life level one, the first time I hit it was using life gain creatures and having my last bunch of life not count.
  • theobserver
    Options
    Life gain bug is quite complicated. I've been testing it for a year now and I still don't completely understand it. I know 3 things about it:

1) life gain triggers the bug
    2) taking no damage for a period of time(calculated in real time, not turns) triggers the bug
    3) there is at least one trigger unknown to me that causes (1) and (2) not to trigger.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Real time is nasty.. Planeswalker regen happening in the background even though it doesn't affect the ingame life presumably?

But, yeah, I often start a game and get interrupted and finish it half an hour later (if my phone lets me) so that's icky.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    One definite trigger for the life gain bug is gaining life while at full life. It's invisibly tracked for some reason, and will be added to your life total after the battle, even if you lose.
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    NDZahmbie said:
    @Brigby can d3 issue a statement about the incredible time investment required for RtO?

The tediousness of the event made it so unenjoyable.

Could d3 relax some objectives - or change some altogether - to introduce some fun back into the event?

The community reaction seems so bad that players are seriously considering playing less, possibly giving up the game entirely if this event continues to be such a grind...

And I'm posting as a first place finisher for my platinum bracket. Even the first place payout WAS NOT WORTH THE TIME INVESTMENT.
    I was second in said bracket and I approve of this message. The time investment is ridiculous, the objectives tiresome, the newness factor nonexistent. The event reminded me of that one time I went on a two hour hike in Slovenian mountains, and ended up hiking fifteen hours through the most annoying rain ever, escaping a bear, a naked Slovenian mountaineer, losing a shoe in a river and finding out that I had been eating moldy bread the whole day long. Except much less suspensful. 
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I actually didn’t have anything to add, I just wanted to say I ended up second.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    You are always first to me...

But, yes, objectives that require extreme patience and/or luck are bad, they are what makes it like a job...

I don't mind the objectives like the old gatewatch where I go in going "ok, I can't do both of these, I'll pick this one", but some of these require not playing almost anything for half an hour, just keeping tight control until you can finally let loose and just win almost instantly. 
    That's not a game.
    That's not interactive.
    That is only pain.

So I don't do that, I just try and win. But other people can't stop themselves from trying so the company is actually _deliberately_ perpuating mental abuse on these poor poor competitive people who can't fight their own worst natures.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does that mean there were at least three people in the encounter with the bear?