Options

Comments

• Maximus7481
    Maximus7481 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ebichu said:
    Ok here is why pvp is broken..
    my event is about to end, my roster is mostly 3* champs

Anyway that would be ok if the first wasn't a freaking full 5* champion roster (484 gambit anyone?), second isn't that far behind, 4* champs and so on

So basically playing pvp in this game, no matter how hard you try is like playing world of tanks with your tier 5 tank in a tier X battle, pointless at best..

Totally agree. I started playing 3 weeks ago. I have only 1 3* champ and most 2* champed. The best PVP run I've had is up to 1400 points, but that was using a mass of health packs. Now in a few days it has dropped below 1000. The other issue is that almost all of my opponents have 5* characters in them or high level/champ 4*. It's disheartening and makes me just focus on PVE.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Time for a lesson in basic MPQ math I Think.

The maximum Points a fight can be Worth is 75, if the opponent has a much higher score than you. A player that has approximately the same Points as you will be Worth 38 Points.

What this means in practice is that if you cannot find any decent fights worth more than 40 Points, it is very likely that you are one of the highest Point targets around and lots of people below you will want to hit you. Trying to make progress on 25 Points fights is an exercise in futility because you will lose Points faster than you can gain them. When the good targets run out it is time to shield up and look for better targets while shielded. The other option is to accept you got as far as you could and let those below you drain you.

• Flydecoder
    Flydecoder Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Quebbster, that is a terrible "solution".
    In order to get top prize i start early when there are less players... somone has to be first... and as a result of taking more time and buying more shields top prize is unreachable.

The alternative is wait to the last minute and start on the final day when there are lots of ripe targets...which is unfair to the targets btw... and it is a mass scramble to climb costing me both shields and health packs... and I still find the top inaccessible.

When a score near 900 puts.me.in top 10 the game is broken
  • Flydecoder
    Options
    Smart80... your solution is to hop.

So the way to play PvP os to NOT play.but shield instead.. that is messed up... see broken above.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You play till you reach your limit and try to go over by hopping. Some reach that limit sooner than others. 

Works fine for me and many many others. If you dont wanna learn how to play the game, sorry, but than its on you.. 
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Of course the game is designed to get you to spend real money for fake resources.

Why take away the cash bar when you have a lot of folks who want to get hammered?

And there is no way to know if your “opponents” are real humans anyway or just bots designed to prevent human players from getting goodies.

• Oho_Sensei
    Oho_Sensei Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    What vs system always needed is to have a separate team set for defense. AI is never going to play the same way as the player who makes the team, so separating attack and defense would allow to use in attack/active a team that we would never use right now because it would be wiped fast if not played by a human.
  • Flydecoder
    Options
    Smart 80... congratulations... you like.shield hopping.

Here...Have a cookie

How is the suggestion of getting 50 for a.win and 20 for a.loss a bad suggestion
    You would end up staying out and playing longer... and you would still shield hop..
     It would just allow for more.game.play
    Shield hoppimg currently doesnt support playing and is only frustrating to those activelt working their way up.

• Quebbster
    Options

OK, I will try again to explain why set Points are a bad idea: It means that whoever plays the most, wins. Doesn't matter against who, if I get 50 Points beating up a low level player you better Believe I will do that as often as I can. (Incidentally, that is what happened during wins based PvP...)

You may not like Shields, but they add Points to the slice and make it easier for people to reach progression rewards. There is a risk/reward ratio to consider though since you cannot stay out for too long - if you get hit you may lose more than you gained. Setting a fixed Point value for wins and losses means you can keep playing - as long as you can do two wins faster than others can hit you five times you you will keep earning Points. If you can get high enough to break MMR and get matched with one- and twostar teams that is not difficult at all. The top end would just run away with a change like that, with people logging thousands of Points in a single event with little difficulty. Points would rise dramatically, and presumably the progression rewards would be adjusted accordingly since the devs do not want everyone getting all the progression rewards - it is supposed to be difficult.

• Flydecoder
    Options
    OK, but right now we are in a world of overpowered bullies... players who have 2 5star champs who can cut through you INCREDIBLY fast, and are too tough to retaliate against...

If they would limit attacks to one at a time that would be okay but they have said that is not possible.
    If they kept things the same BUT reduced how much you could lose per hit by half or more, then that would help...
    Or perhaps they could change MMR so that you only fight players using the same number of stars as you... so 2x5 star play 2x 5star, 2 x 4 star play 2x 4star... 

i just think you should be able to play... attacks should slow your ascent, but you should not be going backwards while battling forwards

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    ***Please keep things civil or I will close the thread. Thanks!
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't blame the players, blame the system. Specifically the ELO rating that's been implemented. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Check out the practical issues section. 

Game activity versus protecting one's rating

In some cases the rating system can discourage game activity for players who wish to protect their rating.In order to discourage players from sitting on a high rating, a 2012 proposal by British Grandmaster John Nunn for choosing qualifiers to the chess world championship included an activity bonus, to be combined with the rating.

Beyond the chess world, concerns over players avoiding competitive play to protect their ratings caused Wizards of the Coast to abandon the Elo system for Magic: the Gathering tournaments in favour of a system of their own devising called "Planeswalker Points"

if this isn't bad enough, you have selective pairing (which is based on cached data, not live data)

Selective pairing

Therefore, Elo ratings online still provide a useful mechanism for providing a rating based on the opponent's rating. Its overall credibility, however, needs to be seen in the context of at least the above two major issues described — engine abuse, and selective pairing of opponents.A more subtle issue is related to pairing. When players can choose their own opponents, they can choose opponents with minimal risk of losing, and maximum reward for winning. Particular examples of 2800+ rated players choosing opponents with minimal risk and maximum possibility of rating gain include: choosing computers that they know they can beat with a certain strategy; choosing opponents that they think are overrated; or avoiding playing strong players who are rated several hundred points below them, but may hold chess titles such as IM or GM. In the category of choosing overrated opponents, new-entrants to the rating system who have played fewer than 50 games are in theory a convenient target as they may be overrated in their provisional rating. The ICC compensates for this issue by assigning a lower K-factor to the established player if they do win against a new rating entrant. The K-factor is actually a function of the number of rated games played by the new entrant.

The ICC has also recently introduced "auto-pairing" ratings which are based on random pairings, but with each win in a row ensuring a statistically much harder opponent who has also won x games in a row. With potentially hundreds of players involved, this creates some of the challenges of a major large Swiss event which is being fiercely contested, with round winners meeting round winners. This approach to pairing certainly maximizes the rating risk of the higher-rated participants, who may face very stiff opposition from players below 3000, for example. This is a separate rating in itself, and is under "1-minute" and "5-minute" rating categories. Maximum ratings achieved over 2500 are exceptionally rare.

The maths suggests the impact of these issues could be reduced by playing around with the K factor. I can't be bothered to look into this, but the gist of it is: currently MPQ is likely using a static K factor. This needs to scaled somehow. Either ties it to ranking (slice not bracket) and have it broken into tiers of K factors or an algorithm based on the roster (or team used).
  • Smart80
    Options
    Smart 80... congratulations... you like.shield hopping.

Here...Have a cookie

How is the suggestion of getting 50 for a.win and 20 for a.loss a bad suggestion
    You would end up staying out and playing longer... and you would still shield hop..
     It would just allow for more.game.play
    Shield hoppimg currently doesnt support playing and is only frustrating to those activelt working their way up.

Keep your cookie, i think you need it more..

i dont like shield hopping, nor do i need it as i usually reach what i need without using a shield or possibly 1 hop..

back when i wasnt in this luxury position, i ignored 1200 prize or hopped a couple times. Its how you grow..

PS. Where are all these 4* teams that get beat up by 5* teams? If offered at all, they show up for under 5 points and therefor useless... I want them too for good points.. How can i get me some?

PS2. Before you make any assumptions, im completely free2play
  • Quebbster
    Options
    OK, but right now we are in a world of overpowered bullies... players who have 2 5star champs who can cut through you INCREDIBLY fast, and are too tough to retaliate against...

If they would limit attacks to one at a time that would be okay but they have said that is not possible.
    If they kept things the same BUT reduced how much you could lose per hit by half or more, then that would help...
    Or perhaps they could change MMR so that you only fight players using the same number of stars as you... so 2x5 star play 2x 5star, 2 x 4 star play 2x 4star... 

i just think you should be able to play... attacks should slow your ascent, but you should not be going backwards while battling forwards

That's the thing though: Your suggestion would make this problem infinitely worse.

The game's MMR does a fairly good job of only matching you with players with a similar roster strength, but at certain Points it breaks down and lets you queue much stronger or much weaker teams. This happens when you climb a bit too high and higher level players below or around your level can queue you. Since you are an easy fight Worth a decent amount of Points, of course they are going to attack you. (You wouldn't skip an easy opponent Worth a decent amount of Points, would you?). That's when you need to shield hop if you want to progress further, or at least wait until the slice builds up more Points (shielding while waiting is recommended).

The other Point where MMR breaks down is when you get high above the rest of the slice, when you are matched against much weaker teams. They are only Worth a handful of Points though, so it's not really Worth starting a fight for the high level player - why risk losing 75 Points in order to gain 5 Points? If any win was Worth 50 Points though... Well, why wouldn't you start a fight against the easiest team you can find? Just keep squashing the low level players for 50 Points a pop!

I suppose the hits wouldn't sting as much, but there would definitely be a lot more of them.

In a way, you could say a system like this would introduce tapping to PvP... whoever can play the most trivial matches ends up winning.

• Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    OK, but right now we are in a world of overpowered bullies...
    This is an old issue that isn’t going away.  This isn’t a skill game like chess where practice makes you better.

this game is designed to make you want to upgrade, and it turns out the fastest way to do that is $$$.

Calls for fairness fall on deaf ears.  Old timers don’t want to lose their advantage.

this will only get worse as time goes on.  I would never recommend this game to someone, since it isn’t fun to get beat up over and over and over.
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The AI decides if your going to win before your start the fight. It'll cascade more and fill cards if it chooses in one turn.
    Skill means nothing, it's not like chess vs the AI. It knows what is coming and it'll give itself a 5 gem for next turn from your move if it wants. It's not random.

If you spent money to get the cards then fine. Some of us can't justify sending a tonne of cash of an app, and an app that has been a mess for a long time as well that still makes error even simple ones like pricing in althe vault for a Jace....Thats basic check before you release it.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Microsoft has been around for over 4 decades and their softwares are still full of bugs/errors. Obviously, coding isn't as simple as you think.

Nobody lives a life without making mistakes, however minor it is. Unless you are saying you have never made any mistake in your life before,  then let's not get too uptight over minor mistake. Even companies with few billions of revenues make minor mistakes, does that mean that they are bad?

MPQ is a F2P game, so it's not compulsory to spend a couple of bucks or a tonne of cash to get extra bonuses for 28 days. 

Back to the topic, the current PvP system is here to stay. You can continue to be negative about the current system used, or you can adapt and set a realistic goal. I'm still facing the same problem described and faced this problem less than 30 minutes ago.

A fix win of 50 points and a fix loss of 20 points are open to abuse. Blame it on those players
    who abused the system. As a result, D3 had to tweak the system.

On a side note I read an old interview by the VP(?) of Demiurge is that it's called Asynchronous PvP.
  • Smart80
    edited April 2018
    Options
    //Removed MTGPQ Reply -Brigby
    So you say that AI ignored the match5, or did you?

if it was you, shame on you
    if it was AI, better contact support, cause that is impossible if it was 5 in line, cause its scripted to prioritize making that match. If it was corner5, it should have made the match4 instead. So making a 3 should still not have been possible.

Either way, it seems to have little to do with pvp being broken.. unless its cause its same paranoia..
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When the game is called PvP as in Player vs Player but the best strategy is to play seldomly and shield much, the game is seriously broken

also the top reward is out of reach... when you factor in that top PvE award is available if you complete 5of6 per node... why cannot more hit 1200?

to fix this give 50 points per win and lose 20 per loss... thats it... people will still play for top rank and D3 will make more money from Health pack purchases.

that would solve the ridiculous over strategizing that prevents people from actually playing a game that they love... people will still shield but climbs will be more fun than stressful and people might recommend the game more openly too.
    The problem with 50 points per win and 20 per loss is it would creating tapping in PVP like in PVE.  If you start early you can keep tapping lower rosters once MMR opens up and score crazy amounts without a worry about losing too many points.  The win based system they implemented was flawed because many of the players who had 5* rosters were significantly punished and were not coming close to the same rewards.

my suggestions in the past was have a win based system for progression 30-35 wins for the 4*.  Then rather than a true placement a score placement system.  So if you score between 900-1200 you get top 50 placement, 1200-1400 top 10, 1400+ top 5 and then a special reward for players who place top 1-2 overall.  You reward players for scoring high but still have a top placement reward.  Alliances can still be placement orientation as well as overall season scores.  

This is is the closest I can think of to make. Hybrid system that would not consistently break the game code and have errors, but would encourage players to play more.  4* players might shield more to keep score placement.

also D3 data most likely shows more players use HP on roster slots and shields at a significantly higher level than health packs.    In your system players would still shield over buy health packs because they would not lose points in a shield while health packs regenerate.  
  • Flydecoder
    Options
    House of Shadow,
    To your options...
    1) You can continue being negative... this is a suggestions thread... I am making suggestions to improve what I consider a critical flaw of the game.
    2) or I could set realistic expectations... I have been playing for almost 3 years, daily and aggressively. I have invested more money and time than I wish to count in this game, and I have a pretty solid roster of all 3 star champs, aboit half maxed, all 4 stars with 2/3 champed and all 5 stars... no champs...
    And after all this wishing for a reasonable chance to earn top rewards in pvp, when top pve is a cakewalk, is unreasonable or unrealistic??? Really???

They have made top rewards in PVE very reachable but PVP is a pipedream that requires pay to play... it doesnt need to be easy but it should be reachable by more than the overpowered who are making it unreachable.