PVP is broken

Options
When the game is called PvP as in Player vs Player but the best strategy is to play seldomly and shield much, the game is seriously broken

also the top reward is out of reach... when you factor in that top PvE award is available if you complete 5of6 per node... why cannot more hit 1200?

to fix this give 50 points per win and lose 20 per loss... thats it... people will still play for top rank and D3 will make more money from Health pack purchases.

that would solve the ridiculous over strategizing that prevents people from actually playing a game that they love... people will still shield but climbs will be more fun than stressful and people might recommend the game more openly too.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Sounds suspiciously like the win based system they tried for a season and then scrapped. Granted, the big problem with that one was that they removed the CP progression reward and put it as a placement reward instead. The fact that you needed to play quite a lot of matches to reach the later progression rewards was a big problem too, I suppose your suggestion would fix that at least - 18 fights for a fourstar cover sounds a lot better than 40. :)

I don't Think the competitive crowd would like this suggestion though. When you get high enough up on the scoreboard MMR breaks down and you get matched with low level teams Worth only a single or at best a few Points. If every fight was Worth 50 Points, it would just mean whoever played the most easy matches would win the bracket, and who knows what the scores would look like with a system like that?

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When the game is called PvP as in Player vs Player but the best strategy is to play seldomly and shield much, the game is seriously broken

also the top reward is out of reach... when you factor in that top PvE award is available if you complete 5of6 per node... why cannot more hit 1200?

to fix this give 50 points per win and lose 20 per loss... thats it... people will still play for top rank and D3 will make more money from Health pack purchases.

that would solve the ridiculous over strategizing that prevents people from actually playing a game that they love... people will still shield but climbs will be more fun than stressful and people might recommend the game more openly too.
    Careful with claiming that "PvP is broken".  You're going to get the 0.5% of players that do get 1200+ every event by using tools/apps external external to the game and/or are in buy clubs telling you how wrong you are and that you just "don't play the game right".
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also, the game never actually calls it PvP. That's a convention of the Player base. The technical name for them is "Versus Events", which doesn't actually specify who or what it's versus. ;)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wonder if the Versus mode just needs better new-player onboarding within the game itself. Obviously a team with a stellar roster can get in there and brute force it, but there are some fundamental truths to how this pvp works currently that can be learned and made use of. It feels like it has so many secret rules that don't need to be secret and that only serve to "keep out the riffraff"
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The ai is too good now anyways. the amount of cascades it gets is ridiculous. They can't say anymore that its random. Had my so opponent pick a 3 over a 4 to hit 5 chains..
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    abmoraz said:

Careful with claiming that "PvP is broken".  You're going to get the 0.5% of players that do get 1200+ every event by using tools/apps external external to the game and/or are in buy clubs telling you how wrong you are and that you just "don't play the game right".
    What tools or apps are that?
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Also, the game never actually calls it PvP. That's a convention of the Player base. The technical name for them is "Versus Events", which doesn't actually specify who or what it's versus. ;)
    Bruh you’re taking his point out of context and anyone who plays video games know what versus is. Move his validity forward and not backwards.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    0_efx_0 said:
    Bruh you’re taking his point out of context and anyone who plays video games know what versus is. Move his validity forward and not backwards.
    I was actually trying to say that I think maybe the Devs don't know what "versus" is supposed to be. Just got too snarky with the phrasing, I guess.
  • 0_efx_0
    Options
    0_efx_0 said:
    I was actually trying to say that I think maybe the Devs don't know what "versus" is supposed to be. Just got too snarky with the phrasing, I guess.
    I reread your comment and I guess I was mistaken haha
    pvp is tough and to reach max progression is still impossible for me to reach and I’m on day 655...I still struggle to hit 900.

• Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It doesn't say pvp in game, but in the iphone app store one of the previews for MPQ says, "Compete in PVP Events".

As for pvp being broken, I totally agree, but for different reasons. Past a certain point in each event it becomes an excercise in misery. The devs must be sadists because everything feels like it's designed to enrage players.

Placement aside, not even going to touch on that here, losing progression sucks the fun out of the game.
    Going for a prize and getting attacked by 3 players for a 100 point loss sucks.
    Getting attacked by 2 level 500+ characters for a 45 point loss and being offered a chance to retaliate for 7 points sucks, is lame, and just rubs the loss in.
    Getting higher and getting offered matches for fewer and fewer points wouldn't suck on its own, but combined with being a bigger and bigger target to encourage players to attack you is a sucky combination.

Yes I know about shield hopping and timing fights and all that, but doing so sucks the fun out of playing. One solution to way to lessen this would be to have shields only prevent you from taking damage, but not keep you from being attacked. This would give players more target options without anyone else losing out on anything.

I loved the wins based season. Every off season I keep hoping for changes to the misery we have now, even if it's just a test run, but it's been 3 or 4 seasons now and nothing. I'd even be happy if all "progression" rewards were moved to placement because then i could just turn my back on pvp and be done with it.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I knew I forgot something.

It also sucks when you select a fight for a certain number of points and then receive much less after winning the fight. I can't tell you how many times I've chosen a fight specifically for the points it offered and then only received half or so and needed another fight to reach a certain mark. And of course needing another fight just increases the chances of getting whalloped back 100 points while doing it.

I'm fine with the points offfered going down each time you select a different fight, but if it says 43 points when you accept a fight, it should award 43 points if you win, not 18. NO EXCEPTIONS!
  • Flydecoder
    Flydecoder Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Kahmon you really explained a.lot.of the pain.

In the current event at time I am posting I was shielded.at 831. I wanted to get closer to 900 which is ridiculous because trying to get close to a less than 70 point game just exclains how bad PVp is.

I was unshielded for 22 minutes, playing a good team winning frequently and 22 minutes and about a dozen ganes later I shielded at 865... 34.points in 22 minutes.

THAT is RIDICULOUS!

I was sitting ranked at #7 so I was only seeing matches worth 18 to 25.points... I go into a battle.and come.out lower because I was hit twice.by a 2x 5star champ.player who hit me twice for 88 total points.

I should not play quickly, win, and finish lower... THAT is seroously broken.

Re the comment that my suggestion is similar to wins... I dont think so because it would take 24 wins to get to 1200 BUT you are getting hit for.-20... sonyou still have to play fast, win and shield but I would at.least have a chance of climbing.
  • Smart80
    Options
    Try shorter hops. 22 minutes really is too much. Maybe moving to different shard might help to find juicier opponents.

But in all fairmess, I dont understand how this is not true pvp. If you want, you can really make it personal.. Its rough not being able to reach top rewards, but thatll come when roster grows..
  • 0_efx_0
    Options
    The PvP works better off for players with champed 4* characters. If you’re in 3* land do not try to reach 900 points, it’s very difficult and unfair. 
  • Smart80
    Options
    Some things you have to work up to and earn i suppose..
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You know what's ridiculous?
    A 22 minute shield hop.

You can do this if you are rocking a 500+ Gambit - otherwise do 6 minutes.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    **Please move any advice discussion to the appropriate forum, Tips and Guides, in a new thread. Thanks!**
  • Ebichu
    Ebichu Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ok here is why pvp is broken..
    my event is about to end, my roster is mostly 3* champs (dont even have them all champ, no 4* usable yet, 7 covers is the best I have on gamora)
    Anyway I go in the lowest possible pvp event, which is lvl 6 for me.. And I just checked the first on shielded at 940,which I cannot dream to reach since the most I can get per match is 25pts or so, and during the course of a match I usually lose at least as much but mostly 40+ once I reach 800pts..

Anyway that would be ok if the first wasn't a freaking full 5* champion roster (484 gambit anyone?), second isn't that far behind, 4* champs and so on

So basically playing pvp in this game, no matter how hard you try is like playing world of tanks with your tier 5 tank in a tier X battle, pointless at best..

How can that be?
    I can't even go to lower bracket, am at the lowest possible one!
    And fyi it's not that there are 5* in top 5 and 2* at top 1000, not i get 4* champs (that i have to reroll sometimes a few times to get 3* fights) all the way..

So yeah please fix your pvp mmr or something, it's really not fun when you know you have NO chance no matter how good you are (yes I do end up first sometimes, when the 5, don't show up)
    I'll try to upload a pic later if I can cheers
  • Flydecoder
    Flydecoder Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Bowgentle and smart80 you nailed the flaw...
    22 minutes is too long to play... 
    I was trying a shield hop but +27 and then hit twice for -80 is the problem... i had to grind my way up... and 22 minutes later i was net positive... that is the problem...
    And suggesting shorter hops also indicates a problem... if you want to do well for Gods sake dont play... shield... that is a flaw. . The more I play (and win) the BETTER I should do, not worse.
    And re 4 star champs... I have over 40 of them with no 5 star champs... i should noy be having these problems...
    Pvp is broken
  • Smart80
    Options
    Well, if you know the problem AND the solution.... do the math....

Its normal you play up to the point it gets problematic to gain any further. From there on you hop.. thats not broken. If that not for you yet, to me, thats not being ready to go to the next level..