That Day when you don't need 3* Strange

2»

Comments

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    Str3nge is still a favourite of mine. He is an excellent support character, especially if your other 2 are higher level, they can protect your Str3nge. I often run him with Medusa and Bl4de. Or if i want to deal more raw damage with Cap5 and BB (probably better 5* out there, but these ive got reasonably covered).
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    The only other reason to bring Strange would be his blue, but really you want to use Gamora's blue anyway - it's cheaper and lays down an additional attack tile. In fights where you can make 2 blue matches right away you've already won because now you're double or triple dipping those strikes every turn.
    I forgot to mention this. Not only does Strange's blue get redundant with Gamora's, but stunning enemies can actually slow a Strange team down (since they're not firing powers and triggering Flames), but it's always a bonus with someone else on board.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,320 Chairperson of the Boards
    Having been inspired by this thread, I sold my max champed Str3nge to try other things. I'm not as impressed and I miss him. That said, OML and him have been a staple of my line-up for a long time and it had got kind of dull to play do this will at least force me to enjoy new characters and it triggered 3 LTs by spending the HP and ISO wisely. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,190 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Vaulting changed the game for me. I was on the slow road to 4* land when it happened. Suddenly 2 months later I had a champed Carol, Medusa, Gamora and finally Rocket.

The day I finished champing Rocket was the day I stopped using Strange. Medusa/Gamora/Grocket made him useless because they clear out anything fast faster and better than he can. The only time I've used him in the past year and a bit is when he's been a required character or his 3* PvP. In those I realize just how slow he is. I relentlessly hunt Strange teams in Shield Sim that team until they stop appearing around the 1200 point range.

For those of you still in 3* land my go-to team against a Strange team was Fist/Cage/Daken (3 or 2*). Daken's strikes + Fists attack tile whittles his health down and you can fire Daken's blue at will since he'll heal any damage he takes from Strange. Cage is there to reduce the match damage and eventually fire his Uppercut / Jib-Jab Cross to finish off the enemy team with a flourish.

KGB
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    It looks like Dr. Strange's day is coming back round again in Prodigal Son!
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    KGB said:
    Vaulting changed the game for me. I was on the slow road to 4* land when it happened. Suddenly 2 months later I had a champed Carol, Medusa, Gamora and finally Rocket.

The day I finished champing Rocket was the day I stopped using Strange. Medusa/Gamora/Grocket made him useless because they clear out anything fast faster and better than he can. The only time I've used him in the past year and a bit is when he's been a required character or his 3* PvP. In those I realize just how slow he is. I relentlessly hunt Strange teams in Shield Sim that team until they stop appearing around the 1200 point range.
    Yup, that was the reason for my switch too. My go-to team was Strange/Medusa/Bl4de, and stayed that way until I champed *both* 4* Gamora and Rocket & Groot.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    3Strange is still viable at the 4-star level when he's boosted. His yellow passive damage gets pretty juicy if you have him max-champed & boosted and he'll outperform Medusa, especially against spammer goons like symbiotes or Mindless Ones. But if Medusa is boosted at the same time, once again you're better off leaving Strange on the bench.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    It took me a long time to get a yellow Strange cover.  Once I did...  wow.  I see what all the fuss is about.  He makes PVE a breeze.  This past week with IM40 & KK boosted, it was nothing but massive damage and stuns.  Crazy.

I use IM40 quite a bit, so I need to play with Strange's yellow, as everyone seems to sing it's praises.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use IM40 quite a bit, so I need to play with Strange's yellow, as everyone seems to sing it's praises.
    One team you must consider against goons at the 3-star level is IM40, Strange, and Patch.

All you need is 6 yellow so you can use IM40's recharge, which will fill up Patch's red, green, and Strange's blue. Use Patch's red and green to fill the board with strikes, then use Strange's blue to stun one of the goons and get Strange's damaging countdown on the board. At that point, the goons will just commit suicide dropping countdowns and triggering Strange's yellow - which will be for massive damage thanks to Patch's strike tiles. Plus, you have Strange's blue countdown hitting for 3 turns - also buffed by Patch's strikes. You don't have to worry about the enemy strike tiles Patch drops because goons don't make active matches.

I used that team to take out goon teams that were 100-150 levels higher than my characters. Back then we had scaling to worry about, so it allowed me to hit way above my level against hard-hitting teams of Maggia thugs and whatnot who would normally wipe me out. Now that team would allow someone to move up a SCL against goon-heavy events.
  • bryduck
    bryduck Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Dormammu said:
    One team you must consider against goons at the 3-star level is IM40, Strange, and Patch.
    I like that. I would miss my 3Fist, which I usually use with Strange and SW (or the required, if there is one.) I love that every round damage . . .
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Despite all I said above, when he's boosted, and especially when it's a Featured boost and a goon-heavy event, I do still bring him out to play. Been using him a lot in Prodigal Sun.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Strange has indeed found his way back into my team for Prodigal Sun. First I've used him in a long time though. 
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,320 Chairperson of the Boards
    I no longer miss 3* Strange. It took 2 weeks but I have realised that it's more fun without him. 
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Arphaxad said:
    I just about gave up on Dr Strange, and then I champed 5*Strange... wow! Now Dr Strange is sitting as my guaranteed third on any team. If you think 3* is useful at all, 5* will knock your socks off. Favorite him and get him covered asap.
    Easier said than done given dilution rates. That said I pulled a few Classics a while back and got a couple more, but odds are against it and 5BHs are unusual enough to make that not a viable option.

I’ve said this before, but I do think 5trange/Chavez/Thor is the fastest PvE combo I’ve played with, 
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    I'm a 3* player and don't use strange as much. Probably because I like to try different teams and because I laugh in the face of danger.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Should you ever get the 5* version fully covered, he'll come out the closet again.