That Day when you don't need 3* Strange

LavaManLee
LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
Yes, I know that many, many have done this already.  But today was the first day of MPQ that I realized I don't need 3* Strange as much as I did in the past.  Had a champed 3* Strange and sold him to start a new one.  It actually does feel good to progress in this game. Soon, maybe I won't need 4* Grocket/Gamorra but that may be much further down the line.  :-)

Comments

• winter37
    winter37 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Image result for mother of god

I've been pretty aggressive about flipping 3*s as of late, but I'm not selling my full champed Strange until his dupe is within a few levels of him. Even at 5* transition level, he's too useful. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it was a Thick as Thieves event when I realized that using Medusa with Grocket was just as efficient as using Strange to take out goons so I retired him. However, on my baby account as soon as I unlocked bonus heroes I made Strange my BH. I have like two champed 2s and eight covers for Strange so far.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    I was always curious. Why do people have multiple accounts?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    In PvP, I don't find 3* DS that great. I see a lot of teams using him in PvP though. For PvE, he's really good against enemies who spam powers like goons. I'm still in 3* land and I just started using him. For the current PvE, I'm using him to quickly clear the nodes with non-playable character. His power lies in quick PvE clears against certain PvE. Apart from that, his HP is a bit low. I do see why he is recommended for those in 3* or 2* into 3* but he does take away some kind of fun from using other characters.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah I remember going from 'take Dr Strange to every PVE, particularly goon nodes' to not even considering him as an option, partly from having some boosted 4* champs, which are a lot of fun, and partly that rocket/gamora/medusa is just plain faster, even unboosted ... and my rocket and medusa arent even champed yet
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember the day I stopped using Strange. It was the day my Thano5 surpased him in speed (and boy did he!)
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    For me it's the same; ever since champing a decent amount of 4* characters I find myself using him a lot less. I still like to bring him sometimes to PVE nodes that are heavy in ability spamming goons (Symbiotes, Mindless ones), but even then it's often faster to whip out the boosted 4* and or 5* for the week and/or R&G+Gamora.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I think I stopped when I champed Medusa.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,763 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    NeonBlue said:
    For playing on multiple platforms, for convenience in managing multiple alliances ... In my case, both.

My main is on steam, my alt on Android. Its also intetesting to see how the mobile version is looking ( its come a LONG way over the past year!).

As for Strang3 .... Havent used since getting Strang5 over 350 .... 13mos ago. But yes he was 1 of only 10 maxed 3s i kept. The rest i flipped pretty aggressively.

Going off-topic here, but how do you find the playing on different platforms? I've only played Steam and can't really imagine how I would play this game on a tiny screen instead.

With this game's obvious bias towards mobiles, I've been thinking of switching, so would be interested in hearing from people who play on Steam and mobile.

• th4vinci
    th4vinci Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    I recently started using strange again as i realized he is the perfect 3th with R&G and Gomorra when dealing with goons
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    th4vinci said:
    I recently started using strange again as i realized he is the perfect 3th with R&G and Gomorra when dealing with goons
    Medusa is still faster.
  • th4vinci
    th4vinci Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2018
    Dormammu said:
    th4vinci said:
    Medusa is still faster.
    When dealing with 3 goons who all fire a shot in the same turn strange puts in 3 atacks and medusa just 1
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    th4vinci said:
    Dormammu said:
    th4vinci said:
    Medusa is still faster.
    When dealing with 3 goons who all fire a shot in the same turn strange puts in 3 atacks and medusa just 1
    It always takes the goons at least a couple of Turns to get going. I think the only ones where I actually found Strange to be faster were the ones with both Mindless Ones and Symbiotes. Otherwise, Medusa drops them before they get enough AP to be firing off that many powers. Also, if you can keep matching Medusa's countdown, her damage steps up more and more, while Strange's usually stays more or less flat.

This was a fairly recent switch for me, too. Getting Strange champed completely changed PvP for me, turning things like Venom Bomb from a nightmare to just another event, and it took me a while to realize that my roster had hit the point where I was ready for another paradigm shift, moving away from Strange.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alfje17 said:
    NeonBlue said:
    For playing on multiple platforms, for convenience in managing multiple alliances ... In my case, both.

My main is on steam, my alt on Android. Its also intetesting to see how the mobile version is looking ( its come a LONG way over the past year!).

As for Strang3 .... Havent used since getting Strang5 over 350 .... 13mos ago. But yes he was 1 of only 10 maxed 3s i kept. The rest i flipped pretty aggressively.

Going off-topic here, but how do you find the playing on different platforms? I've only played Steam and can't really imagine how I would play this game on a tiny screen instead.

With this game's obvious bias towards mobiles, I've been thinking of switching, so would be interested in hearing from people who play on Steam and mobile.

I have accounts on both and while I agree the steam UI is far superior, the play anywhere options of mobile are 1000x times more valuable for me.  Especially when the game makes me play by it's schedule if I want to succeed.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    You can't always run RBGamora/Medusa, so I don't see any sense in not continuing to use him. When you have essential nodes, you're not allowed to use one of these characters (obviously unless they're essential themselves), which ruins the combo. So for essential goon nodes, I run Bl4de/Strang3 and America/Strang3 pretty aggressively. 

I also get incredibly bored of the RBGamora/Medusa combo, and very rarely does running something else like the boosted 4s or Strange cost me placement. I go through all this trouble to collect and champ all these characters, I'd like to be able to use them at least sometimes. Makes the game more fun when you can adopt new strategies.  
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    winter37 said:

I've been pretty aggressive about flipping 3*s as of late, but I'm not selling my full champed Strange until his dupe is within a few levels of him. Even at 5* transition level, he's too useful. 
    I'm in the 5* transition and realized I hadn't used him in over a month.  Ever.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong but I have completely stopped using him.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm always looking for strong duos for PvE essential nodes where I can simply ignore the essential character if its a useless one. Strange and America are an excellent duo against goons in these nodes.

th4vinci said:
    Medusa is still faster. She gets going right from the start, whereas Strange has to wait for the goons to generate AP. If you can match Medusa's countdown tile the damage output starts outperforming Strange's yellow and you get it every turn, not just the turns where the goons drop countdowns. The only other reason to bring Strange would be his blue, but really you want to use Gamora's blue anyway - it's cheaper and lays down an additional attack tile. In fights where you can make 2 blue matches right away you've already won because now you're double or triple dipping those strikes every turn.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I just about gave up on Dr Strange, and then I champed 5*Strange... wow! Now Dr Strange is sitting as my guaranteed third on any team. If you think 3* is useful at all, 5* will knock your socks off. Favorite him and get him covered asap.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I hadn't intentionally used strange for months until last night when I was low on health packs and trying to get in a 5th clear of the 5* essential node featuring mystique and 2 goons.  He did just barely get the job done, which is actually a pretty solid compliment.
  • winter37
    winter37 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    winter37 said:

I'm in the 5* transition and realized I hadn't used him in over a month.  Ever.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong but I have completely stopped using him.
    My main use for him is quick clears of low level PVE nodes ala RG/Whichever other GotG is boosted/Strange, but he was surprisingly great in PvP a few weeks ago when boosted alongside Nova. The AI is too dumb to NOT attack, and that shouldn't be underestimated.