Side nodes in Boss battle

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember the last boss event players were complaining how easy it was. Now they are complaining how difficult it is. Try thinking out of the box on how to defeat them instead?
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is sad that the side nodes are harder then the boss for the event.  
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    It is sad that the side nodes are harder then the boss for the event.  
    I wouldn't even mind if scaling stopped at 451, like the bosses.
    But those astronomical increases in damage and health for every level beyond 450 are insane.

They did get rid of personal scaling for regular PVE so they obviously know that it's outdated.
    Now they need to get rid of it in Boss events, too.

That said, yes, I'll finish both sides with full personal prog.
    I won't enjoy slogging through the last refreshes, though.

Also:

I remember the last boss event players were complaining how easy it was. Now they are complaining how difficult it is. Try thinking out of the box on how to defeat them instead?
    There's no "thinking outside the box" against level 470+ side nodes.
    Either you have the right 5s or 470+ 4s to beat that, or you don't.
    Gimmick teams can only carry you so far.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    The last boss event, R&G were boosted and no one had any trouble because of that.  Also the big rosters stopped playing earlier since they were done.  Now they are trying to complete 2 sides and having to fight these ridiculous opponents.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with what you all said. That's the challenge. I'm facing the same kind of problem as well. My essential 4* has only 1 cover and it's like 3 vs 2. I did get some satiafaction winning the match though. I guess it boils down to what kind of players you are. I'm the "take it easy" kind of player.  For players who want to win every prize, they might feel frustrated due to facing very strong opponent team.

I was thinking if many alliances can complete both sides, it could mean that the boss event is not really challenging. If only a few alliances can complete it, it could means that it's challenging but it can be done.
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    I think the worst part of it is having to fight with a underleveled maxchamped Ares. That's ridiculous, come on.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Roster based scaling is back but its modified somewhat.

My toughest node is level 458 and I have 8 five stars that are above that level (topping out at 467).
    In the past scaling was largely based on the top 3 to 5 characters.

Not sure what determines it now.

Have said all of that this idea really needs to go.  The game has been so much more fun without this because you get that sense of accomplishment and achievement for your progress.   Roster scaling ruins that. 

It its something exclusive to a boss event to make it stand out then fine I suppose...I don't like it but that won't damage the game long term.  Still, I think its a bad idea to bring this back at all.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Here is what is messed up and maybe it's just for higher level rosters: both wave nodes on one side featured level 535 enemies. Pretty rough when they have 130k+ health and their powers hit like semi-trucks. But one required 3* Storm and the other required 3* Daken. Those toons are completely useless. So it's literally 2 vs. 6, and by the second wave they have 10+ ap in ever color.

Ended up skirting by with massive TU's and whales. Not fun and kinda dumb, really. If you're going to force me to use a boosted 3* fix the stupid scaling.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    OJSP said:
    babinro said:
    Roster based scaling is back but its modified somewhat.

My toughest node is level 458 and I have 8 five stars that are above that level (topping out at 467).
    In the past scaling was largely based on the top 3 to 5 characters.
    Did you not comment 5 minutes too early? also I think the levels will increase again in the last refresh. Add: my current hardest node (and wave node) is lvl 463, which is the average of my top3 rounded up
    Right you are...I jumped the gun.  
    My last clear was level 466-467 which matches my roster perfectly.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Always seems like things like this happen when the dev team take some time off.

Whenever I see the "We're away for a public holiday" I cringe because something always seems to snap in the game.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    The fact that HoboFist is boosted and works well with Daken is the only thing that's been getting me through his nodes. He doesn't even have to do anything, really, just sit in the back and sweat out pheromones to jump start Danny's blue. Wouldn't be enough if I were at 5* scaling, but at 4*, it's letting me just squeak through those.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    The Cap Boss side was held in check thanks to m4rvel being massively OP at full max boost.  Thankfully I only need to 1 last boss hit on final refresh so no more side missions required.  Last clear was 487-490 level which was brutal.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    I liked the tougher side nodes. Forced me to think about team combos rather than brute forcing. It was good, but it does mean it becomes very tough if your ally is going for a late round 8 finish. Maybe they could add some sort of side node counter which means that scaling goes up every 5 nodes you clear or something. So of one starts the event after 24 hours, they aren't hit in the face with very high level enemies
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    They don't want everyone getting full progression on both sides.

The side node scaling is how that's being done. Is there a better way to accomplish the goal of restricting alot of the players getting full progression? I got no idea.

Better question is should they allow every single player & most of the alliances to be able to get full progression both sides?
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

The side node scaling is how that's being done. Is there a better way to accomplish the goal of restricting alot of the players getting full progression? I got no idea.

Better question is should they allow every single player & most of the alliances to be able to get full progression both sides?
    Other boss events have the same side node scaling but without the dual-event set up of Civil War, so that doesn't sound like a plausible reason.  Also, are there even enough points available to complete both sides to full progression anyway?

I guess there is one aspect of Civil War that would make tying side node difficulty to the round problematic: since you can complete a side node for one side and then follow up by attacking the other side's boss, you could avoid hard side nodes by doing side nodes against a round 1 boss while always attacking the other one.

That argument doesn't apply to the many other boss events though...
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    The side nodes scale up regardless of what round the boss is on.  You could be in an ally with no one playing and final refresh will still scale up to maximum.

And yes, there were enough points to reach personal progression on both sides assuming your ally could clear both sides to ally progression.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    @jamesh Double progression on both sides is definitely possible. Everyone in my alliance reached it.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Surely the solution to having two sides to tackle would be to scale the side nodes to the sum of the rounds completed on each side.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor

I think you are right, unfortunately.  It's what we have been saying about the new training grounds(blanking on the name all of a sudden), where you are gated by the level of the character, and cannot even try to play.  Here, its super hard, but at least you can try.  Boosts, team ups, whales, etc, something should work.

And look at the rewards.  Several 4* covers and 4 LTs.  Thats way more then they usually give, and is arguably within reason for the effort needed.