Ixalan's Hidden Gems

Options
13»

Comments

• andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter said:
    @morgue427 Day's Undoing (from Origins) does not "discard" your cards. It "moves" your cards. I think it might be the only one that does that.
    to be honest I wish it discarded.....

The whole hand in deck shuffle thing has no funtion in PQ
    Except that it does. This card intentionally doesn't trigger anything in graveyards. That was irrelevant in Origins, but makes a difference if you're forcing your opponent to shuffle their Grind//Dust into their library rather than discarding it where they can just exile your creatures.

Though at this point the card should be updated to more closely reflect it's paper counterpart and also shuffle your graveyards in. Get rid of those embalm/eternalize/aftermath cards.
    Nooooooo please no! Blue has some really good graveyard interaction now, this would make days undoing not playable in those decks
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    wereotter said:
    @morgue427 Day's Undoing (from Origins) does not "discard" your cards. It "moves" your cards. I think it might be the only one that does that.
    to be honest I wish it discarded.....

The whole hand in deck shuffle thing has no funtion in PQ
    Except that it does. This card intentionally doesn't trigger anything in graveyards. That was irrelevant in Origins, but makes a difference if you're forcing your opponent to shuffle their Grind//Dust into their library rather than discarding it where they can just exile your creatures.

Though at this point the card should be updated to more closely reflect it's paper counterpart and also shuffle your graveyards in. Get rid of those embalm/eternalize/aftermath cards.
    Nooooooo please no! Blue has some really good graveyard interaction now, this would make days undoing not playable in those decks
    Day's Undoing hardly fuels graveyard deck since it doesn't put anything into your graveyard, Pull from Tomorrow would be a stronger contender to fueling it. Additionally the game actively needs more cards to combat graveyard strategies give how common they became during Amonkhet and Hour of Devestation. There's currently only a handful of cards right now that can do this compared to how many cards care about the graveyard or do something once placed there.

Not every card should be playable in every strategy, not even mythic rare ones. Also the only blue card I tend to see people running that cares about the graveyard is Reason//Believe. Correct me if people actively use anything else.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Scavenger Grounds would totally wreck  a lot of strategies, but the problem is that it is such a crapshoot as to if it will be useful in any pvp battle.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ah mainloop battled your varaska deck( i know off topic) that was one nasty deck congrats on that ai killer
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
          There are a bunch of options for blue graveyard decks but you dont see them too often and they are generally splashed with another color.

However there are some useful blue cards that rely on graveyard (most of them are dual colored too)

The blue/black bounce spell that discards 2 cards on aftermath is pretty cheap for 2 effects.
          There's also the blue/white support that destroys an attacking creature but his aftermath is less interesting (except for selfdiscard). 
          There are a few eternalize and embalm creatures too.
          In legacy you also have the black/blue respawning zombie, more often seen in black decks though.

I used to play a selfdiscard aftermath/embalm deck in white/blue and it was pretty fun. After a few turns the board was a minefield. Fun, but not very reliable for competition though.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bil said:
          There are a bunch of options for blue graveyard decks but you dont see them too often and they are generally splashed with another color.

However there are some useful blue cards that rely on graveyard (most of them are dual colored too)

The blue/black bounce spell that discards 2 cards on aftermath is pretty cheap for 2 effects.
          There's also the blue/white support that destroys an attacking creature but his aftermath is less interesting (except for selfdiscard). 
          There are a few eternalize and embalm creatures too.
          In legacy you also have the black/blue respawning zombie, more often seen in black decks though.

I used to play a selfdiscard aftermath/embalm deck in white/blue and it was pretty fun. After a few turns the board was a minefield. Fun, but not very reliable for competition though.
    Farm//Market, I've seen in a few decks, but often assumed it was more for the Farm side than Market; that's why I use it when I do, and I'd rather not loot cards with the Market side. Don't think I've ever seen anyone using Consign//Oblivion. Regardless, I haven't run into decks using Day's Undoing while also trying to run graveyard effects as is, was my point.

And as Mainloop mentioned, Scavenger Grounds is a pretty risky card to take if you don't know that it'll be useful. Good to sideboard against Liliana2 since I don't think I've yet to encounter a unique deck for her, all use Prized Amalgam, and you definitely want to keep her graveyard empty. Taking Day's Undoing, however, is good even if your opponent isn't using graveyard effects.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
         Of course, days undoing has nothing to do in a selfdiscard/graveyard deck, i totally agree with that.
         My point was just that apart reason/believe there are actually a bunch of blue cards that are used or usable and could take advantage of a graveyard strategy. Most of them are played here and there because the blue lacks of a good discard engine in standard and because black graveyard decks are more obvious and intuitive to build. 
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    morgue427 said:
    ah mainloop battled your varaska deck( i know off topic) that was one nasty deck congrats on that ai killer

Wasn't me. I don't own Vraska 
  • morgue427
    Options
    hmm could have sworn name was mainloop but it was still rotten only thing that saved me is he used drowsing daggers and gave me a blocker rest was kiora  cascade on steroids
  • ILikePancakes
    ILikePancakes Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Carnage Tyrant. Came across an annoying cycle deck with Censor and Sphinx's Tutelage and let it sit as the first card and laughed and laughed as spells failed and the support had no effect on my cards. Played as normal. Great card.
  • morgue427
    Options
    havent run across it yet and not looking forward to it honestly another gr  i think
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    It's nowhere near another GR. Although 9 power isn't anything to sneeze at, it is considerably less than 16, which really shows once they are reinforced. It also usually doesn't hit the board with haste. So all things being equal, in 3 turns  Carnage Tyrant has done 18 damage and GR has done 48.