Latest PVP misadventure!

NotBAMF
NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2018 in MPQ General Discussion

Thanks to the more helpful folks at this forum, I have become proficient at securing the 900 points cover whenever I want to go after it. And, obviously, I wanted the BP cover from the Wakanda event.

So yesterday I battled and shielded up to 875, whereupon I shielded again just to be 100% safe and sure. A few hours later on my lunch break, I queued up a 30 point battle and went to finish my trek.

By the time I won the battle--one battle after having been shielded for three hours--I had already lost 50 points in two losses. I darn near snapped my phone in half. I re-shielded at 855.

Anyway, after that, I saw the two teams that beat me, and they were two teams with 450+ power Gambolts.

How on Earth is that team able to see me?! I don't have a single 5* character over 270 power. How is it fair that these fully armed and operational 5* players can find me? Nuts to you, MMR. That makes no bloody sense.

*For transparency's sake, I woke up at 4:45 this morning and cleared two wins to get the 900 point cover, so aside from the frustration and the lost hour of sleep (because instead of rolling back over until I had to get up, I thought "Well, now's my best chance"), I guess nothing was lost.

Oh, and 300HP. I lost that, too, I suppose.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

When you get high enough up on the scoreboard that there aren't many available targets at a similar Power level, the MMR breaks down and can show you weaker teams, typically Worth a lot less Points. I have found I frequently run into fourstar teams around 600 - 800 Points depending on how early it is in the event. So it's very possible you picked a bad time to hop, showed up in high level queues because there was a lack of better targets around, and they decided to hit you, because why wouldn't they?

Losing 50 Points in two fights makes it sound both players were a bit above you on the scoreboard, which fits pretty well. And obviously Gambolt is very fast, so it's not that strange they beat you faster than you beat your opponent.

• NotBAMF

That seems to run in direct opposition to what I tend to see. The higher I get, the STRONGER teams I see. Usually for the first 400 points of PVP or so, I will still see a lot of 3* teams, but usually after I cross 500-600, I start ONLY seeing teams of champed 4* characters.

Not saying I don't believe you (I do), but it doesn't seem to work out that way for me, haha!

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Mistake: Q'ing a 30 point match, that left you no insurance points should you be hit. You had 3 hours to look for a 60+
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I experienced the same thing as you. I was 15 points away from getting 4* BP cover. By the time I'm done, my score was reduced to around 720. I saw the team who beat me: team with 4* at around  370+ level. I tried again and my score fall to 600 plus after I won the match. I gave up and shielded at 700 points.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    You got hit by 2 players for a total of 50 points. With most players shielded in their mmr and them a bunch above you, they saw you as a walrus and took the opportunity. 25 point match is better than nothing when they are around 1050 points and trying to sealbash their way to 1200.

With 3h, you should have tried to Q something better than 30 points. If they got hit the same as you, they may only have been worth 24 points by the time you hit them. And you still wouldn't have had 900.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    I had a really strange experience in this PVP. I kind of just...walked to 900 with no shields or dramatic point loss. It was very strange. I didn't have any good boosted 4*s, I was relying on Vulture/G4mora to just stun lock/AoE everyone to death; I was playing in slice 2, and it was reasonably late at night my time, so I guess I just snuck in when it was slow. I'll take it though, now i've got a 1/1/2 P4nther for my trouble.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I've only ever got to 900 points in PvP once, and that's only because I had a boosted champed Red Hulk smashing the place up, and 20 or so health packs to burn though to get there. My reward on that day was a red cover for the ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had a really strange experience in this PVP. I kind of just...walked to 900 with no shields or dramatic point loss. It was very strange. I didn't have any good boosted 4*s, I was relying on Vulture/G4mora to just stun lock/AoE everyone to death; I was playing in slice 2, and it was reasonably late at night my time, so I guess I just snuck in when it was slow. I'll take it though, now i've got a 1/1/2 P4nther for my trouble.
    I still don't know why it happens this way, but some events I'll fly straight to 900 all in one go, getting no hits or maybe one or two at most. And other times I'll get above 700 or 800 points and it's one step forward, two steps back. I'm fairly stubborn about only wanting to spend once for a final shield, so I usually power through the attacks, but I still haven't figured out why sometimes it's fairly easy and other times it's like pulling hen's teeth. 

I'm sure a lot of it comes down to whether or not others are hopping or something like that. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:
    I still don't know why it happens this way, but some events I'll fly straight to 900 all in one go, getting no hits or maybe one or two at most. And other times I'll get above 700 or 800 points and it's one step forward, two steps back. I'm fairly stubborn about only wanting to spend once for a final shield, so I usually power through the attacks, but I still haven't figured out why sometimes it's fairly easy and other times it's like pulling hen's teeth. 

I'm sure a lot of it comes down to whether or not others are hopping or something like that. 
    It's mostly about the average score in the slice.
    If the top end is at 2k, you can float and climb much higher than when the top end is at 1300.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    I had a one step forward, two steps back event this time. They generally do happen for me with 4* release events. It seemed particularly bad for Panther but I put that down to a) climbing really, really late, and b) champing 5* Thor mid-event. I still got to 900 before I shielded, but I was hit a lot.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    granne said:
    I had a one step forward, two steps back event this time. They generally do happen for me with 4* release events. It seemed particularly bad for Panther but I put that down to a) climbing really, really late, and b) champing 5* Thor mid-event. I still got to 900 before I shielded, but I was hit a lot.
    That's funny, I don't remember having too many issues for the P4nther event, but the Captain Marv3l event right before it was a real humdinger for me.

Bowgentle said:
    DarthDeVo said:

It's mostly about the average score in the slice.
    If the top end is at 2k, you can float and climb much higher than when the top end is at 1300.
    That makes a lot of sense. I'm still primarily a PvE player, I suppose, because I pay attention to bracket flips there, but not so much with PvP. I'm still pretty content to be a 900 and done player there, and had just kind of accepted that some events will be easier than others. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find i do better in new character pvps, because everybody is basically on the loaner
  • NotBAMF
    edited February 2018

All the previous advice I've ever gotten on PVP from this forum has basically instilled the fear of god in me that after you get to 600-or-so that you need to shield every battle or two and have a slow climb to 900.

I'm fine with having lost the points, though. I mean, it sucked, but I get that it's part of points-based PVP. The point of this post was mostly my frustration with WHO beat me. I still contend that it's B.S. that those teams can even queue me up.

• nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I will be at 1100+ points and trying for 1200 then get hit multiple times for 200+ by level 550 5* teams. 

No matter what MMR you are at someone at a higher MMR will be able to see you and hit you at some point. I hit the 3* and 4* teams when I break MMR so when I get hit by a 550 team It's just whatever and I move on.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:

All the previous advice I've ever gotten on PVP from this forum has basically instilled the fear of god in me that after you get to 600-or-so that you need to shield every battle or two and have a slow climb to 900.

I'm fine with having lost the points, though. I mean, it sucked, but I get that it's part of points-based PVP. The point of this post was mostly my frustration with WHO beat me. I still contend that it's B.S. that those teams can even queue me up.

Then ignore that advice for an event. And just see how far you can climb and how high you can float for an event. Figure out the strength of your roster. Experiment. Don't be afraid because people make you afraid. 
    Look at the thread by the guy with unchamped threes that got first place with almost 800, just 33 days in. If he can make it to 800 with one push, imagine what you can do?
  • KenshinUK
    KenshinUK Posts: 91 Match Maker
    I was trying hard to get to 900 for Panther but best I managed at one point was 845. This was SCL 7.

Every match I slogged through for 30-35 points would be met by an equal or greater loss immediately afterwards, sometimes two losses.

Eventually finished with 744 in 49th place which 5 mins after the event ended became 53rd. :/

As someone who has a dozen only just champed 3 stars and 4 stars with only 1 or 2 covers should I not be entering SCL 7/8? I'm soon to hit rank 55 fyi.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    KenshinUK said:
    I was trying hard to get to 900 for Panther but best I managed at one point was 845. This was SCL 7.

Every match I slogged through for 30-35 points would be met by an equal or greater loss immediately afterwards, sometimes two losses.

Eventually finished with 744 in 49th place which 5 mins after the event ended became 53rd. :/

As someone who has a dozen only just champed 3 stars and 4 stars with only 1 or 2 covers should I not be entering SCL 7/8? I'm soon to hit rank 55 fyi.
    LOUDER AGAIN, FOR THE ONES IN THE BACK:

Your progression and placement prize tables are the only thing in that choosing an SCL changes in Versus mode.
  • KenshinUK
    KenshinUK Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Ah, okie dokie!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    KenshinUK said:

Another thing to consider: An opponent with the same Points as you is Worth 38 Points. When you run out of 40+ Point targets, that means you are one of the highest available targets around, and people will be very tempted to hit you. It's a very good time to shield up and wait for more high Points targets to become available (make sure to find good matches Before dropping your shield though).
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Quebbster said:
    KenshinUK said:

Another thing to consider: An opponent with the same Points as you is Worth 38 Points. When you run out of 40+ Point targets, that means you are one of the highest available targets around, and people will be very tempted to hit you. It's a very good time to shield up and wait for more high Points targets to become available (make sure to find good matches Before dropping your shield though).
    This, 100%. If more ppl followed this advice rather than just hoping they won’t get hit there would be far fewer of these sorts of posts. I have to do this, and my roster is an awful lot bigger than the OP’s.