2.4 Release Notes (2/14/18)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited February 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion

2.4 Release Notes

New Card Set: Ixalan

Welcome to the jungle. We’ve got...Vampires, Pirates, Merfolk, and Dinosaurs!

Ixalan has officially arrived in Magic: The Gathering - Puzzle Quest, and with it comes 3 new Planeswalkers, 2 new Events, and a total of 191 new cards!

Mechanics

The adventurous world of Ixalan brings new mechanics to MtGPQ, highlighting each of the Tribes and their characteristics.
  • Double-Faced Supports
    • When the card’s specific condition is met, it transforms into a new Support with different abilities and the new Land subtype
  • Explore
    • When a creature Explores, gems become converted, and if those gems are unable to be matched during the conversion, then the creature receives a buff.
  • Enrage
    • Dinosaurs with this keyword will trigger a special ability every time they take damage.
  • Raid
    • If a creature with Raid attacks, and the player attacked the turn prior, the creature’s special ability activates
  • Treasure
    • Treasures are tokens created by Pirates and Pirate-related cards. Match these artifact tokens in order to gain precious Mana!
Check out the full details here: Tribes and Mechanics of Ixalan

Planeswalkers

All this talk of Treasure has caused 3 new Planeswalkers to appear in Ixalan!

Jace, Cunning Castaway - Blue

Huatli, Warrior Poet - Red/White

Vraska, Relic Seeker - Black/Green

Check out the full details here: Planeswalking Into Ixalan

Events

Time to try out your new cards and Planeswalkers! We’ve got 2 new events coming to MtGPQ, with a whole new spin on rules and modifiers.

Across Ixalan - PvP - Standard
This is a PvP event with a similar structure to the Trial of the Planes events. They will be short events that have color restrictions on each iteration. The entry fee will be significantly reduced from 60 Mana Crystals to 20 Mana Crystals. The biggest change coming with Ixalan’s events though are the effects and rules that affect each node:

Race to Orazca – Coalition PvP – Standard
Band together with your teammates to best other Coalitions in the race to reach Orazca first! Each node of this event will affect the Tribes of that node’s color.

Check out the full details here: Adventures in Ixalan

Special Offers

To celebrate the arrival of Ixalan, we will have a brand new selection of special offers available - including Planeswalker and Tribal themed bundles. Keep an eye out in the Vault, so you can snag them while you can!

Bug Fixes

• Viewing a Card in the player’s hand will no longer block the screen in Battle, when using the following Planeswalkers’ abilities at the same time:
    • Dovin Baan
    • Garruk Wildspeaker
    • Saheeli Rai
    • Sarkhan the Mad
  • Various Planeswalkers will no longer be omitted from nodes in the Events Avacyn’s Madness and Oath of the Gatewatch: Part II
  • The following Planeswalker abilities will no longer be activatable, if the player’s hand is full:
    • Nissa, Sage Animist - Nature's Bounty
    • Sarkhan the Mad - Fiery Sacrifice
    • Arlinn Kord - Call the Pack
  • The following Planeswalker abilities will no longer be activatable, if the player’s hand is empty:
    • Liliana, the Last Hope - Necromantic Absorption
  • Hazoret's Undying Fury will now always fetch 4 spells from the deck
  • Call the Scions is no longer discarded, if there are 3 creatures on the battlefield, and Not Now is selected
  • Lightning Javelin can no longer target your own Planeswalker
  • Abrade will no longer fail to cast, if there are no enemy supports on the battlefield
  • Fixed a problem with Coalition Rewards
  • Adjusted artwork for Zombie token Card of Card Earthshaker Khenra
  • Fixed an issue with Planeswalker avatars appearing on Card artwork

Comments

• Drewster
    Drewster Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am so happy about Hazoret's Undying Fury! It's an even more powerful card now! :wink:

Good job developers on Ixalan!!! Thanks for all the awesomeness!
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    • Adjusted artwork for Zombie token Card of Card Earthshaker Khenra
    Are we ever going to get appropriate artwork for eternalized creatures? Gotta say it's made things unnecessarily confusing that the zombie token and the creature share the same art....

• Krishna
    Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    James13 said:
    "Fixed an issue with Planeswalker avatars appearing on Card artwork"

NOOOOOOO~!  :'(

That was the source of some of the best screenshots I've ever seen.
    Prioritize, Oktagon. this should not be at the top of priorities. I, too, love the hilarity of a PW (or 5) face randomly showing up on a card. and it affects gameplay 0%
  • Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Card preview or it didn't happen ;) lol
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hazoret's Undying Fury will now always fetch 4 spells from the deck

I feel like this had already been fixed a while ago. I used to see it happen all the time that it wouldn't but it hasn't happened to me in ages.

Call the Scions is no longer discarded, if there are 3 creatures on the battlefield, and Not Now is selected

Really? Glad a common spell from BFZ made it to the fix list.

The following Planeswalker abilities will no longer be activatable, if the...

What about fixing Sorin? He will use his ability every time without fail...with no creatures in play. 

Adjusted artwork for Zombie token Card of Card Earthshaker Khenra

As @wereotter said, I hope this is a fix to all of the eternalize cards and not just Earthshaker Khenra.

I'd be less crotchety if you'd just show us the entire XLN card set already!
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    James13 said:
    "Fixed an issue with Planeswalker avatars appearing on Card artwork"

NOOOOOOO~!  :'(

That was the source of some of the best screenshots I've ever seen.
    I have a great video of Samut “dancing” across several cards 
  • Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So slight off topic.
    I'm playing at the Toronto grand prix, modern format this weekend.
    It is a streamed event.
    If I get the chance @Brigby I will definitely give a shout out to mtgpq and to you personally:)
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    One thing I still never see in these bug fixes is getting the same card in the same pack but I suppose now don’t matter to much as it’s converted to orbs now.

Can’t wait for Ixalan should be fun, also excited to know what this PvE is for Rivals 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just hope the new 3 PWs are not too reliant or hard locked for ixalan in order to  the new mechanics.
    we do not need designs like that of G2, C2 and Arlinn.
  • bk1234
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:
    I just hope the new 3 PWs are not too reliant or hard locked for ixalan in order to  the new mechanics.
    You can see their abilities here:

https://d3go.com/planeswalking-into-ixalan-mtgpq/
  • EldrosKandar
    EldrosKandar Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    ZW2007- said:

I feel like this had already been fixed a while ago. I used to see it happen all the time that it wouldn't but it hasn't happened to me in ages.
    That surprised me too, then I thought, maybe they meant that it would not care about hand limit this time. This would make HUF more powerful. As I like this card, I kind of want to be happy, but first I don't know if my interpretation is true, and second, this might give another reason to bring the nerf-hammer on it in the future...
  • Krishna
    Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:
    Hate to break it to you, but...
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Krishna said:
    MADAFAKA said:
    Hate to break it to you, but...
    Huatli is tied to the mechanics, but the other two don’t seem to be. And honestly that’s fine considering we have two Boros walkers already neither of whom are tied to set mechanics. 
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZW2007- said:

That surprised me too, then I thought, maybe they meant that it would not care about hand limit this time. This would make HUF more powerful. As I like this card, I kind of want to be happy, but first I don't know if my interpretation is true, and second, this might give another reason to bring the nerf-hammer on it in the future...
    Wow, I hadn't even considered it pushing your hand limit beyond 6. That would just be insane. And here I was just being snarky... I've seen hands have more than 6 cards on very few occasions and even then it was only 7 cards. This could potentially push it to 9 cards (or even 15 on the most absolutely luckiest of plays).

Imagine this if you will; you have Pyromancer's Goggles in play with three cards in hand, you get lucky and hit all 3 activate gems, and they in turn fetch 3 copies of HUF. Each HUF would cast and fetch 4 spells (putting you up to 15 cards in hand) and not drain anything because Goggles makes all 3 HUF free and HUF makes the rest of the spells free. Playing only HUF and Approach, you could theoretically do 546 damage in one swap lol. I almost hope you are right and that is what the fix is.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Having more than 6 cards in your hand would be a bug. Why would they intentionally bug your hand interaction for a fix for another supposed bug
  • bk1234
    edited February 2018
    Options
    khurram said:
    Having more than 6 cards in your hand would be a bug. Why would they intentionally bug your hand interaction for a fix for another supposed bug
    There are other cards that allow more than 6– it’s not a bug. However, I would like to see this function like paper—you can’t attack, or play any cards unless you’ve discarded down to 6. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:

Samut is a great example of how to incorporate set mechanics and have a long term usefulness 
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Erm.. there are bugged cards that allow it. When the hand is officially limited to 6 cards, then having more than that is a bug. Otherwise cards like seasons past, pyro goggles etc would just always add cards to your hand.

Refuse/cooperate is bugged in more ways than one.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    khurram said:
    Erm.. there are may be bnugged cards that allow it. When the hand is officially limited to 6 cards, then having more than that is a bug. Otherwise cards like seasons past, pyro goggles etc would just always add cards to your hand.

Refuse/cooperate is bugged in more ways than one.
    One could say it refuses to cooperate ... :p