Did you stop to read the story?

RemoDestroyer
RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
I feel like one frequently asked for feature is new stories but I also feel a new story is likely to be skipped through especially for a new character release.

Did you stop to read the story? 152 votes

No. Can't slow down and risk placement.
72%
SpoitBeast1970ThanosafsplatMattR42antreas1911sinnerjflQuebbsterColognoisseurHadronicMaceo511ContinuedClockStonykillercoolxKOBALTxIridiousseshomababinroslaxer723abmoraz 110 votes
Yes. I play the game for the story.
27%
PuceMooseareacode212ZeiramMRrixmithStranger DanleeleeshineZootSaxdokiyTrilateralusgravelMoosePrimeNorinthMrCroaker64tph_jamesckempoevade420maguirenumber6LilithKGBAmsha3gar 42 votes

Comments

• RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    I feel like one frequently asked for feature is new stories but I also feel a new story is likely to be skipped through especially for a new character release.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    With only two bits of dialogue, yeah. We'll see how I handle it if there's more tomorrow.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    No. If it wasn’t a new release I might have.  If there wasn’t a speed penalty I definitely would have. 
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2018
    JHawkInc said:
    I think when some people say "story" they mean "3-4 day group of missions to play", and aren't actually talking about the narrative itself.

That said, it would be neat to have a place where you click a node, and then there was a "story" button that appeared after you beat it once, allowing you to go back and re-read at your own pace, including the "post-mission" dialogue. 
    If they expect us to do a note 5-6 times for completion then I want a quick collect/restart node feature without having to go back to the main screen selecting the node and restarting the dialogue skip all over again. A large number of my matches (especially the first 3 nodes) are:

1 click - select node
    1 click - select play
    1 click - confirm same team (or 3-4 to select a character that's buried in my roster)
    1 click - start the fight (+1 to skip dialogue if required)
    1-3 clicks - finish the fight
    1 click - confirm points
    1 click - open reward pack
    1 click - claim reward if any (+1 to confirm next reward if any)

So 1-3 clicks to do the fight and up to 8 clicks to progress before and after the fight. If I had a one click feature that just claimed all rewards and restarted the fight I could remove up to 8 clicks.

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Silly rabbit. That's what alts are for.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Needs an option for "there were so many Dark Avengers that I forgot it was a new story until I'd already missed it."
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    No but not because of speed, I never read them before I cared about speed.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haven't started yet, but I don't plan to read this time. I may do so in a later run when speed is not quite so important.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    What story? I guess the hazards blew mine up along with my health packs.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nope.   We need a feature that we can go back and look at these at a later time.  The last one I would
    have read was over 2.5 years ago.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does the story explain why I had to fight Kingpin? I thought it was H.A.M.M.E.R and Ultron attacking?
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Does the story explain why I had to fight Kingpin? I thought it was H.A.M.M.E.R and Ultron attacking?
    Because everyone was whining about fighting the Dark Avengers for the zillionth time, the devs thought they'd throw us a curveball and use another bad guy?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Because everyone was whining about fighting the Dark Avengers for the zillionth time, the devs thought they'd throw us a curveball and use another bad guy?
    Fair enough. I just wondered if I had missed there being a third bunch of bad guys attacking what with their being 3 days.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I always read the story, then memorize it by heart so i can skip all following runs.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will stop to read the story the next time it comes around, when it's not a new character event.  I'm not vying for first place, but speed is still important and can mean the difference between one or two covers.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Nope.

My reason has nothing to do with optimal play and everything to do with poor execution in storytelling.   I've posted my ideal (possibly unrealistic) solution before but here goes again.

MPQ already has a relationship with the Marvel.com web service that contains a back catelog of thousands of comics with a subscription.   PvE in this game is an amazing opportunity for cross promotion.

How:

- The first time you complete a node you unlock a page or panel of a comic book. 
    - These pages / panels can be viewed within MPQ on a separate tab within the game itself and they remain available to view for the entirety of the event plus an additional 24 hours.
    - If you've successfully completed each node in the entire PVE (excluding 5E node) then you've unlocked one entire comic to view and read at your leisure until 24 hours after the event has ended.
    - On that comic tab you can have a link to subscribe to the marvel service for more comics or to continue that story arch in its future comics available to read now.

In doing this you not only reward players for playing PvE in a unique way each event but you can also get players invested in the featured characters of your game.   I don't know who Nico is for example so a PvE showcased by a Nico focused comic would give me more reason to care.

Executing this in the way that I've presented it also means you can enjoy your rewards on your own time outside of the pressures of playing MPQ optimally.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    @babinro

Cool concept, but I can't see them doing it.  Either they're giving comics away for free or they're paying for the more intensive artwork and story of a full comic.

I do like the idea of some way to see the story outside of the gameplay though.  That sounds totally plausible.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Some of the stories are great and are well worth reading (Webbed Wonder for example). I'll read it the first couple times the event runs.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Rest assured for everyone reading, I am getting off my lazy butt and making a new youtube video to share the story with everyone. Not that there is much of a story so far. Should upload the first sub video in an hour or so.