BLACK PANTHER * * * SPOILERS * * *

2»

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Something that irked me was they didn't really show any of his intelligence. From the comics I've read it comes across that T'Challa is Mr Fantastic/Tony Stark/Beast/Bruce Banner levels of smart, to the point where, like those characters, it's basically one of his super powers.

It's slightly undermined by having Shuri be his Q or his Lucius. It made sense to do so, I'm not saying it felt tokeny or anything, because having him being super and wonderful and powerful all by himself feels kind of against the point of the film ie, that we're all more powerful as a group rather than standing alone (like Killmonger).

Still though there are other movies coming if they want to show off his intelligence. I guess it's hard to show off how smart he is in a kingdom full of high technology where, to them, he'd probably be of slightly above average intelligence compared to us. So we're going to get a scene where he has a proper chat with Tony Stark and blows his mind with possibilities.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    My only complaint was the final fight scene. Everything else was spot-on and fantastic.

I especially appreciated the motivation and depth given to Killmonger. He was more than just a strong bad-**** dude. He was akin to Zemo in CW, which I appreciated. His frustration and anger were forged in injustice and they felt real, and his personal injustices reflected the larger injustices perpetrated upon black people for hundreds of years.

Social commentary done very well.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    If we don't get Killmonger when the DVD drops,  then you really gotta question their common sense
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Shuri is the best!
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had a chance to see this today (planned on seeing Winchester, but it had left theaters and I forgot to check the updated shows), and thought it was great. I loved Shuri and Claue, and agree that the final fight scene was a little blah. We have this beautiful country side, and the last big smackdown is set in a Tron tunnel?

Well worth the price of admission.
  • Phumade
    I had a chance to see this today (planned on seeing Winchester, but it had left theaters and I forgot to check the updated shows), and thought it was great. I loved Shuri and Claue, and agree that the final fight scene was a little blah. We have this beautiful country side, and the last big smackdown is set in a Tron tunnel?

Well worth the price of admission.
    I thought it was in a dream sequence like kung fu panda 3 at first
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Carnifexx said:
    Okay, story wise, awesome, Klaue is hilarious. My one complaint and I’d like to hear from those that saw it, the final fight felt too cgi. I was really invested in the participants, but the bouncing around felt like a let down. To clarify, I mean the one on one on the tracks, not the stuff above, that stuff rocked! I would have liked a more visceral hand to hand that looked more like the fight in the new mission impossible trailer. That looks vicious. Agree disagree? Why?

Actually, while it overall looked pretty good, I thought the rhinoceri looked pretty fake, so that whole scene had the "uncanny valley" look to it.  The physics-defying moves also really detract from the immersion of the movie, but >shrug< it's a superhero movie.

All in all I liked it a lot.  The characters were well-formed and behaved in reasonable ways - something I always hate when they get it wrong.

• Phumade
    GrimSkald said:
    Carnifexx said:
    Okay, story wise, awesome, Klaue is hilarious. My one complaint and I’d like to hear from those that saw it, the final fight felt too cgi. I was really invested in the participants, but the bouncing around felt like a let down. To clarify, I mean the one on one on the tracks, not the stuff above, that stuff rocked! I would have liked a more visceral hand to hand that looked more like the fight in the new mission impossible trailer. That looks vicious. Agree disagree? Why?

Actually, while it overall looked pretty good, I thought the rhinoceri looked pretty fake, so that whole scene had the "uncanny valley" look to it.  The physics-defying moves also really detract from the immersion of the movie, but >shrug< it's a superhero movie.

All in all I liked it a lot.  The characters were well-formed and behaved in reasonable ways - something I always hate when they get it wrong.

I think that complaint can be leveled against all superhero movies all the way back to Blade 1.  (I'm mean who doesn't laugh at the blood blob who looks like rejected effects from "the abyss".  But with that said there's a reason why going to the theaters with big screens, fresh audience, premium sound is a superior experience.

Don't get me wrong,  I'm all for bath room break pauses, fresh snacks, mst3k and the connivence of my own home.  But special effects really aren't designed to be easter egg watched 200x.  I think in the context of how directors and cinematographers develop their films,  they probably think about repeat viewings as maybe 2x or 3x for maximum effect.

I know for me personally after the 10x viewing,  Its less about what the director wanted to achieve in the film and more about what I wanted to see in the film
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I was really hoping to see Bast as the source of the powers instead of just this fruit, which I guess was mutated from the vibranium asteroid way back then.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    GrimSkald said:
    Carnifexx said:

I think that complaint can be leveled against all superhero movies all the way back to Blade 1.  (I'm mean who doesn't laugh at the blood blob who looks like rejected effects from "the abyss".  But with that said there's a reason why going to the theaters with big screens, fresh audience, premium sound is a superior experience.

Don't get me wrong,  I'm all for bath room break pauses, fresh snacks, mst3k and the connivence of my own home.  But special effects really aren't designed to be easter egg watched 200x.  I think in the context of how directors and cinematographers develop their films,  they probably think about repeat viewings as maybe 2x or 3x for maximum effect.

I know for me personally after the 10x viewing,  Its less about what the director wanted to achieve in the film and more about what I wanted to see in the film
    That's a fair point - they've been doing this for some time.  I'd just like the action to be more realistic - most action films are really guilty of this.  I kept watching the final fight and seeing people tossed around like rag dolls and thought, "that was fatal.  That was fatal.  That was fatal."  Of course they weren't (probably,) but still...