BLACK PANTHER * * * SPOILERS * * *

purplemur
purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
An appropriate thread where we can discuss all about it: whether it be Cannon, MCU, MPQ, Bobbleheads, Lunchboxes, Pop art, whatevs

Be it known that spoilers may abound in wild abandon.
So once the movie opens: Beware.
If you haven't read the recent trades: Caution! 

On the page:
I have always loved King T'challa. He's poised and dignified, He speaks reason and wise council to when characters skip their back story to drive the current narrative drama. He anchors the story telling in realism. I love that he passes on joining the Illuminati.  I think he mostly, mostly avoids tokenism while being usually the lone dark face on the page. Perhaps because he is African rather than American he avoids some of the cringe that Luke Cage could sometimes be. I think Te Nehisi Coates is one of the best writers of any media (read his Atlantic pieces on reparations), I hope he continues in the current run. I sometimes feel like it's just the laziest that him and Storm did their thing but I get it;there's enough mutual interests and the whole Olympic village hook-up and all that.  What are your favorite arcs? Which panels and covers do you think are noteworthy?

Movie:
Opens 02/16/18 (US)

MPQ:
Agree with AlexisTPF about Shuri for this version, I mean that's kinda the whole point of "Variants", don't just give a different costume .Totally missed opportunity to tie into the movie Marvel. But I'm really glad we didn't pull a parker and end up with another 5 gambit food. I think of the 4* as "the pink panther" even though its purple. Matching shields sounds like a fun new game. I like his powers! Who are you going to pair him with? Best 3* combos?

FunkoPop: angry mask all the way.
Just saw this on a TShirt the other day.

i just wish Luke or Sam was with him and cap in solidarity

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Going to be a while before I'll be able to check out the movie, so I want to get in here early and say if you're interested in reading any comics about Black Panther do yourself a favor and check out Christopher Priest's run. It's THE modern run for the character. Nuanced and deep, but still kick*** and funny at times.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:
    Going to be a while before I'll be able to check out the movie, so I want to get in here early and say if you're interested in reading any comics about Black Panther do yourself a favor and check out Christopher Priest's run. It's THE modern run for the character. Nuanced and deep, but still kick*** and funny at times.
    That said, Priest himself who has already seen the movie states that the Panther in it is categorically NOT his version and that he believes that fans of his run might actually be disappointed if they were expecting that going in.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not at all familiar with the character outside of the Civil War movie and just kind of generally knowing he exists. I felt he was really under served by his appearance in Civil War (as discussed in a different thread), but everything I've seen coming out of the Black Panther solo film looks rad to me. The art direction is so good, I'm really looking forward to picking up an art book for it.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    DAZ0273 said:
    STOPTHIS said:
    That said, Priest himself who has already seen the movie states that the Panther in it is categorically NOT his version and that he believes that fans of his run might actually be disappointed if they were expecting that going in.
    Yeah. I saw that and it bummed me out on the movie a bit, but it makes sense. Preist's wrote a seasoned king with a lot on his plate. The movie should be about a younger king still learning the ropes and all that comes with the crown. Maybe we'll get there in the inevitable sequels.

That said, I still think his run is the best and hope the movie makes more people check it out.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    purplemur said:
    An appropriate thread where we can discuss all about it: whether it be Cannon, MCU, MPQ, Bobbleheads, Lunchboxes, Pop art, whatevs

Sorry to be "that guy," but the word is "canon."
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    STOPTHIS said:
    Yeah. I saw that and it bummed me out on the movie a bit, but it makes sense. Preist's wrote a seasoned king with a lot on his plate. The movie should be about a younger king still learning the ropes and all that comes with the crown. Maybe we'll get there in the inevitable sequels.

That said, I still think his run is the best and hope the movie makes more people check it out.
    I don't think he would admit it but I think Priest had a lot of fun playing with "What if Black Panther was Batman without the emotional baggage" during his run, at least in the sense of his interaction with other MU characters. Personally, as a stallwalt Avengers fan that run still kind'a stings a bit but it did make a lot of sense.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    purplemur said:

You haven't seen the artillery they use yet ;)
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    purplemur said:

You haven't seen the artillery they use yet ;)
    Ordnance or ordinance?
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    Movie opens February 14 here, but as i like a quiet movie theatre i'll probably wait a couple of weeks before viewing it. Hope the movie gets reviewed on its merit though.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    Dogface said:
    as i like a quiet movie theatre i'll probably wait a couple of weeks before viewing it
    This. I can't even fathom going to see anything on opening weekend. Probably 'cos I'm getting old and cranky.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I watched The Force Awakens in a cinema with 2 people (myself included). Imagine my disappointment when i had to watch The Last Jedi with 10 others...
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Opening weekend will always have a crowd. But opening night is usually fairly empty. The hardcore fans normally book the midnight sessions
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,763 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:
    Movie opens February 14 here, but as i like a quiet movie theatre i'll probably wait a couple of weeks before viewing it. Hope the movie gets reviewed on its merit though.

Haven't you heard the news: we're supposed to hate this movie because Disney/Marvel doesn't give 'fanboys' everything they want?

Seriously, I hope the movie gets indeed reviewed on its merit. Critics seem to like it so far and looks like a lot of people are going to see it!

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,183 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just saw it; I thought it was a very solid film. It's more of a character-based film, with plenty of moral and ethical questions thrown in. Plus Killmonger is one of the better villains in MCU history. On its own, it wipes the floor with any DC film; I'll be watching it again on Thurs, and I'm looking forward to anything I might have missed during the first showing. However, MCU films will always also be judged - deservedly or not - in comparison to all the other MCU films (that's 10 years' worth of stuff) and with the overall MCU storyline. In that regard, BP might not be what some people expect. But I reiterate: take it out of the MCU canon, and it is a very solid piece on its own, around the level of Wonder Woman (imo).

and enjoy the two post-credits scenes!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just got back from seeing it, and really liked it. I saw a bunch of parallels with the Thor movies, not surprisingly really. My main takeaway was that I absolutely cannot wait for Shuri to show up in the game. Pow!

Also, as a huge Bucky fangirl, the final post credits scene just had me squeeing :smiley:
  • Carnifexx
    Carnifexx Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Okay, story wise, awesome, Klaue is hilarious. My one complaint and I’d like to hear from those that saw it, the final fight felt too cgi. I was really invested in the participants, but the bouncing around felt like a let down. To clarify, I mean the one on one on the tracks, not the stuff above, that stuff rocked! I would have liked a more visceral hand to hand that looked more like the fight in the new mission impossible trailer. That looks vicious. Agree disagree? Why?
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    I just got back from seeing it, and really liked it. I saw a bunch of parallels with the Thor movies, not surprisingly really. My main takeaway was that I absolutely cannot wait for Shuri to show up in the game. Pow!

Also, as a huge Bucky fangirl, the final post credits scene just had me squeeing :smiley:

The one thing that would have made it better was for the kids to have a Sharpie. ;-p
    Carnifexx said:
    Okay, story wise, awesome, Klaue is hilarious. My one complaint and I’d like to hear from those that saw it, the final fight felt too cgi. I was really invested in the participants, but the bouncing around felt like a let down. To clarify, I mean the one on one on the tracks, not the stuff above, that stuff rocked! I would have liked a more visceral hand to hand that looked more like the fight in the new mission impossible trailer. That looks vicious. Agree disagree? Why?

I thought the movie was quite good; my only negative was that some of the CG effects were poorly done.
  • Carnifexx
    Carnifexx Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    ZeiramMR said:

The one thing that would have made it better was for the kids to have a Sharpie. ;-p
    If White Wolf walked out with a wang on his cheek, I would have peed myself! I had been holding it for almost 3 hours! 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I liked the movie. There were some parts that needed some work, but overall good.
    There was one part however that made everyone laugh out loud. And it wasn't from the original movie itself. The sub translator translated the Ancestral Plane as the Ancestral Airplane.. twice.
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Black Panther was an awesome movie as a standalone movie. however the reason why killmonger wanted to use Wakanda made no sense at all. it is simply impossible for Killmonger to succeed when you have the avengers doctor strange etc. also i dont get why everybody was so excited with killmonger in this movie. i thought andy serkis was way better then Killmonger. also the best part of the movie was the sister of black panther. she was just incredible in this movie. oh and the score. the score was amazing.

the only part that upset me was a line spoken by killmonger if i die, bury me at sea, because most of my people rather died in the sea then be slaves, made no sense at all. do you know how many black there are in the USA? that is right. so please dont come up with these stupid political garbage in a fantasy movie and keep that out of it. i am dutch but i have german ancestors. but i dont call myself dutch german, what is next everybody calls himself argentine american, mexican american, canadian american? America is an amazing country and should be proud that you have the possibility to be part of such a great country!