Options
2»

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Quebbster said:

Marvel wants a brand new Black Panther in the game to promote their new Movie.

Thus, Marvel gets a brand new Black Panther in the game to promote the new Movie. It's pretty simple.

Let us for a moment imagine the devs saying "We don't want Another Black Panther in the game, we want to do a Sabretooth!". The response from Marvel might then be "OK, we are revoking the licence to use our characters in your game. Good luck making a game without them."

I think they could promote through B.Panther 5 that is already available.

Are we conditioned to characters that only appear in movies. Then we are ruined. It will be very difficult to see: Mysterio; Cable; Omega Red
    Apparently new character releases are the only thing that gets people playing more, so that is what is being used for promotions.
    We might get a Cable later this year when Deadpool 2 opens though.
    So, this only confirms that we are conditioned to the movies.
    While getting Cable, it will be a good one. But you'll probably want to push another copy of Deadpool (damn it).

Will they someday remember: Namor; Bishop; Taskmaster ???
    There are tons of characters not from any movie or tv show tie in. So it' not confirmed we only get movie tie ins.

Most recently kraven. I feel they do a decent job of giving us characters from the comics, but they would be crazy to not piggy back off of the movies and shows.
  • MissoesRicRose
    MissoesRicRose Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree that they do a good job. But the question is: could not they promote the movie with an existing B.Panther in the game? There are already a multitude of repeated characters.

As for Kraven, you remembered well. All players enjoyed not just it. But also Chavez. Nothing against B.Panther. But many players are frustrated with such repetition of characters.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Quebbster said:

Thus, Marvel gets a brand new Black Panther in the game to promote the new Movie. It's pretty simple.

Let us for a moment imagine the devs saying "We don't want Another Black Panther in the game, we want to do a Sabretooth!". The response from Marvel might then be "OK, we are revoking the licence to use our characters in your game. Good luck making a game without them."

Are we conditioned to characters that only appear in movies. Then we are ruined. It will be very difficult to see: Mysterio; Cable; Omega Red
    Apparently new character releases are the only thing that gets people playing more, so that is what is being used for promotions.
    While getting Cable, it will be a good one. But you'll probably want to push another copy of Deadpool (damn it).

Before Panther we got-
    Robbie Ghost Rider (no tie in)
    Chavez (no tie in)
    Kraven (no tie in)
    Archangel (no tie in)
    Angel (no tie in)
    Nico (tv show? Still one on their more niche characters)
    ME Hulk (Thor 3)
    Gladiator Thor (Thor 3)
    Nightcrawler (no tie in)
    Rogue (no tie in)
    2 Gambits (no tie in)

So of the last 12 characters, 9 weren’t tied to movies. We’ve also gotten other obscure folks like Cloak and Dagger and Mockingbird. Yes the release to promote their movies but we get plenty in between. 

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree that they do a good job. But the question is: could not they promote the movie with an existing B.Panther in the game? There are already a multitude of repeated characters.

As for Kraven, you remembered well. All players enjoyed not just it. But also Chavez. Nothing against B.Panther. But many players are frustrated with such repetition of characters
    Promote it how? Like the splash for the event encourages you to enjoy a year old or older character?

Hey enjoy earning 3 star panther from progression in this event. To me that would be very underwhelming.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The answer is: No they cannot, because that is not what Marvel wants. This game is merely one cog in the mighty Marvel merchandising machine.
  • MissoesRicRose
    Options
    4 Iron Man
    6 Spider-Man
    3 Storm
    2 Venom
    4 Hawkeye
    4 B.Widow
    4 WOlverine
    3 Cap.America
    2 Magneto
    2 Torch
    3 Cap.Marvel
    5 Thor
    2 Bullseye
    2 Strange
    2 Thanos
    2 Sam Wilson
    2 R&G
    4 Hulk
    3 B.Panther
    2 Cyclops
    2 Gambit
    2 Deadpool
    2 Gamora
    2 Elektra
    2 Daredevil
    2 Daken
    2 Iron Fist
    2 Luke Cage
    2 Octopus
    2 Punisher
    3 Star-Lord
    2 Blade

Is the amount of repetition still small?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4 Iron Man
    6 Spider-Man
    3 Storm
    2 Venom
    4 Hawkeye
    4 B.Widow
    4 WOlverine
    3 Cap.America
    2 Magneto
    2 Torch
    3 Cap.Marvel
    5 Thor
    2 Bullseye
    2 Strange
    2 Thanos
    2 Sam Wilson
    2 R&G
    4 Hulk
    3 B.Panther
    2 Cyclops
    2 Gambit
    2 Deadpool
    2 Gamora
    2 Elektra
    2 Daredevil
    2 Daken
    2 Iron Fist
    2 Luke Cage
    2 Octopus
    2 Punisher
    3 Star-Lord
    2 Blade

Considering there are over 150 characters in the game, spread over 5 tiers... that’s not bad.  Also about 2/3 of that list of characters have a 2 in front of them, meaning they are only repeated once. Over 5 tiers that’s really good. Gives people at various levels the option to play popular characters. 

It makes sense that Iron Man is your intro character in the game at the 1* tier, but imagine if they never repeated him. Once you breeze past that tier, you never get to play him again?  If he was my favorite character I’d be angry. Like I said, I’m still looking for more versions of my favorite character (Daredevil). Especially as a 4* player, I’d love a Murdock I could use at my tier. 

Let’s look at the latests for repetition shall we?

1. Ghost Rider - NEW!
    2. Archangel - NEW!
    3. Thor - Repeat :(
    4. Gambit- NEW!

1. Sandman - NEW!
    2. Vulture - NEW!
    3. Mockingbird - NEW!
    4. Yondu - NEW!
    5. Lockjaw - NEW!
    6. Rogue - NEW!
    7. Nightcrawler - NEW!
    8. The Hulk - Repeat :(
    9. Nico Minoru - NEW!
    10. America Chavez - NEW!
    11. Kraven the Hunter - NEW!
    12. Black Panther - Repeat :( (and the reason this thread was started)
    13. Shuri- NEW!

Look at all of these new, never before seen characters we’ve gotten in the game!  We’ve gotten three repeats to promote some films over the last god-knows-how-many months and have been otherwise FLOODED with new characters (some with Marvel media tie-ins, some not). Honestly the game has been killing it lately in terms of brand new characters. There’s plenty to complain about with this company, this just isn’t one of them. It is honestly a super weak argument when just looking at the facts.

I am sorry that your frustrated though. The last thing I’ll say about that is you don’t have to chase him. If you are happy with your 3/5 Panthers and find this one redundant, then enjoy the break from the grind!  Or keep grinding and use the iso elsewhere.  No one is forcing you to collect or play him! I mean you will probably stumble across him anyway just opening tokens. And that’s all you really need for Essentials.  Happy swiping!
  • MissoesRicRose
    Options
    Frustration is not with the game itself.
    Show that there are new characters being added, do not want much. Well, that should be normal and I also recognize and approve. The main issue here is the excessive repetition that just like me, many other players also no longer support. Just see the comments on social networks.
  • MissoesRicRose
    Options
    Some players appreciate the repetition of characters and I respect that. But I have the right to express myself that I do not like this repetition. I'll keep playing anyway. Everyone has their preferences and since we like the game we think what we think could improve.

Those who enjoy repetitions congratulations!
    Those do not appreciate: Collect B.Panther and continue in the crowd for new characters not repeated.

Good fun at all.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3 Spider-Man
    2 WOlverine
    2 Cap.Marvel
    2 Hulk
    2 B.Panther
    2 Cyclops
    2 Deadpool
    2 Gamora
    2 Elektra
    2 Iron Fist
    2 Luke Cage
    2 Punisher
    2 Star-Lord
    2 Blade
    2 Jean Grey
    2 Ghost Rider

Not all repeats are the same tho. I edited the list to how I see it. Since they are releasing new 5*s with a 3* its not really fair to call those out for repetitions. Then I can't really call out 5*s at that already had a 3* version, since they likely would have got one. Its also not really fair to call out any 1* or 2* versions, since they are not useful in 3-4* land, where the main game is. Since that in a 0 repeat world it would be unfair to Iron Man to have his only version be a 1*.
    I also don't count Doc Oct as a repeat since he is an example of what you want, a classic character with no movie tie in.
    And I don't count comic characters that are already variants as game variants. Miles is Spiderman, but he's a copy
    in the comics. Same as TAHulk, Kate Bishop, 4Thor, Riri, Warmachine etc. I also think Hulkbuster is different enough.
    With the release schedule staying consistent at every 2 weeks, I'm sure there will be room for classic characters. But MPQ has become a marketing tool where new characters are used to promote shows movies and new comics. If Marvel overall has basically retired Namor, then they aren't gaining much by putting him in game.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Quebbster said:

Before Panther we got-
    Robbie Ghost Rider (no tie in)
    Chavez (no tie in)
    Kraven (no tie in)
    Archangel (no tie in)
    Angel (no tie in)
    Nico (tv show? Still one on their more niche characters)
    ME Hulk (Thor 3)
    Gladiator Thor (Thor 3)
    Nightcrawler (no tie in)
    Rogue (no tie in)
    2 Gambits (no tie in)

So of the last 12 characters, 9 weren’t tied to movies. We’ve also gotten other obscure folks like Cloak and Dagger and Mockingbird. Yes the release to promote their movies but we get plenty in between. 

Good call out, but it's worth noting that C&D was a teaser tie in to the show that was supposed to come out in 2017 on Freeform but has been pushed back.  It's also possible/likely that Mockingbird got put in the pipeline to promote the Agents of SHIELD spin off she left that show for, but got canned before it ever made it to the air (Marvel's Most Wanted was the name). 

So those obscure ones were probably both tie-in related for smaller TV shows like Nico is.