Balance of Power vs. Combined Arms

2»

Comments

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Combined Arms
    After some initial variety, all I'm seeing is grocket-gamora-medusa teams,  aka the simulator all over again.  Combined arms had more than its share of grocket-gamora/star lord/obw teams.
    That lack of variety is disappointing though not unexpected 
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    I can't decide which is worse
    I hate them both.  Balance of power I never know what to play or what I am dealing with.  Combined arms sucks because I have almost no viable 4*'s so I stand no chance against most opponents and I am extremely limited with what I can actually use.  Thankfully these are never run in season so it's fine.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I can't decide which is better
     For both, the 5* advantage is significantly reduced. Although BOP doesn't take it away entirely like CA does, a fully-covered 4-star boosted to 550 can still give a 5-star a run for their money. I play both events with significant more confidence, and being able to choose my own team makes a huge difference to me. Although the healthpools are larger in BOP, the way the damage scales usually leads to my matches taking about the same amount of time.

The only thing I don't like about BOP, is the difficulty in finding certain characters. 

The only thing I don't like about Combined Arms, is that the need to use a 2-star often gets in the way of strategy. You can't use an unchamped 2-star at Lv 15, they only boost to Lv 51 and are easy pickings once your score gets high enough to put you in people's scope. So if you're a person like me who doesn't keep all the 2-stars champed at any given time, you're limited to who you have ready, which might not make for stellar chemistry. 
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Combined Arms
    I voted for CA, but seeing all the hate for BOP, I thought I would say what I like about BOP, instead.

It’s a chance to play ISO-starved characters for the first time. It’s the closest we have to a “Free Play” mode in this game.

So, I’m playing America Chavez and Mockingbird, both of whom I know I want to champ now.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Combined Arms
    BoP was fun before the 5* tier and 550 cap. 1* Juggs was a regular star there. But 5*s threw it off. Now it's basically just SHIELD Simulator with higher health.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Combined Arms
    I have to go with Combined Arms.  It seemed to reward my type of roster very well.  I have 3 champed 5’s, and my highest 4 is Peggy at 353 because she’s been my only BH nearly the entire time.  I don’t have Gambit champed, so PVP is normally pretty tough.  I normally just play PVP to 575 and get hit back to 200-300, but in CA I used Peggy/IM40 and climbed to over 1k without ever getting attacked.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Combined Arms
    Combined Arms = No Gambit. 'Nuff said.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Combined Arms
    I would like to see some variety.

Combined Arms is interesting because it forces you to pick characters to fit each star level.

Balance of Power is interesting because it (at least attempts) to remove the disparity between different star levels AND iso investment (you can take a fully covered character at minimum level into a fight and they're on mostly equal footing).

The "problem" that these two events address is that most PVP events you're stuck picking from boost lists or the powerful combos that can transcend boost lists.

It would be nice to have more events that weren't boost-list dependant. Like variations of Combined Arms that had you use a 3/4/5, or 3/4/4, or 3/3/4, or even 2/4/4. Or a Balance of Power that just said "no 5*s". Or even an event that requires everyone to be of the same affiliation (though that's starting to stretch things a little thinner). I like the idea of building teams where the rules let us inject some variety, because it means more interesting matches for myself, as well as more interesting opponents. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Combined Arms

The only thing I don't like about BOP, is the difficulty in finding certain characters. 

We really do need better roster management tools. How hard would it be to program a favorite A, B, C team? it make these events alot more fun and mangeable
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Balance of Power
    n25philly said:
    I hate them both.  Balance of power I never know what to play or what I am dealing with.  Combined arms sucks because I have almost no viable 4*'s so I stand no chance against most opponents and I am extremely limited with what I can actually use.  Thankfully these are never run in season so it's fine.
    Maybe you would have preferred the old version of Combined Arms, where you needed a 1/2/3 team rather than 2/3/4?  There were lots of Juggernaut teams back then ...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Combined Arms - I found quite a variety of teams to battle which was nice. I ran Moon Knight + Iron Fist (the punch brothers!)+ 2* Thor and Fist constant fueling of MK's black was a delight whilst Thor used red & yellow and provided green. Of course CA is impacted (at least for me) by 2* rotation from farming, so my characters at this level are rarely at max level.

Balance of power is a bit wacky because it is sort of like a kid in a candy shop in terms of options you can choose so I often find myself throwing together teams to see what works, so from that perspective it is fairly neat. On a purely psychological level though, sometimes looking at those health pools can be a bit daunting, it isn't until you start playing and seeing the amount of damage inflicted that it feels like the match won't last forever.

So I'd score it pretty even. I prefer both to Nefarious Foes and Black Vortex.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Combined Arms
    The roster selection screen is woefully inadequate for both events, but I like the concept of CA more.