Balance of Power vs. Combined Arms

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
I like both of these PvP events. Season-PvP gets a bit tiresome with required characters and facing the same boosted characters all week. The only place to experiment with picking 3 characters of your choosing during the season is the SHIELD sim, and that's a hot mess of either Grocket & Gamora if you're a 4-star player, or Gambit if you're a 5-star player. True variety is hard to come by in PvP. But then the off-season comes and we get Balance of Power and/or Combined arms. I see a lot of team variety from my opponents in these events and they both have fun mechanics which make both events very unique.

Which one do you enjoy more?

Balance of Power vs. Combined Arms 116 votes

Balance of Power
6%
tiomonoKross[Deleted User]GreenMachineevade420djrdjrjamesh 7 votes
Combined Arms
76%
PuceMooseSpoitGuntherBlobelPorkBellyStarfuryMattR42antreas1911KolencesinnerjflHadronicrixmithStonykillercoolMojoWildEbolamonkey84PhumadeJexmandr tinykittyloveZeroKarmasirwookieechris 89 votes
I can't decide which is better
6%
DormammuSpudgutterGoBucsGoJabrony_GeoffBoyWonder1914hunky_funkyABaker84Pyram7 8 votes
I can't decide which is worse
10%
Jonny1PunchxKOBALTxTiggidaHendrossDaichesLordXberkQubortn25phillyOldManWolvsrobertbahlakantanzDax317 12 votes

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Combined Arms
    Combined Arms is fun because it mandates you play with lower tier characters. Balance of Power, while fun, I find to be a bit of a slog with the scaled up health pool, and I will still try and use my "best" 4* champ teams in it. that being said, I still love all these novelty PVP formats. I like the BFFs one where you just get to pick a duo also, and wouldn't mind trying out a 1-on-1 format at some point.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Combined Arms
    BoP is terrible.  Always is terrible.  CA while can end up with many of the same teams, allows for much more flexibility and for once puts 5* on the bench.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Combined Arms
    Combined arms forces the interesting team building.  BoP does not, although I do prefer it to the other off-eason pvps. Also a major negative for BoP is that it's really really hard to find characters.  At least in combined arms they are ordered by level.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Combined Arms
    BoP characters are alphabetical by descending number of stars.

BoP is awful because 330K health matches are too long.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Balance of Power
    My only gripe with balance of power is no way to sort my roster for team selection. But being able to use truly anyone is great.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Combined Arms
    I barely even play BOP anymore. I don't like having to check the stats to see how much damage the powers do.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Combined Arms
    Combined Arms is so much fun, because It lets me play with a variety of teams that I never thought would work out so good. Balance Of Power is so time consuming, because of the huge health boost. It gets boring after a while. I don't envy the players who have to play 5* PVP land. 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't decide which is worse
    It's so boring. I feel for 4star players where they face this team at uneven levels over and over in normal PVP.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Combined Arms
    BoP characters are alphabetical by descending number of stars.

BoP is awful because 330K health matches are too long.
    While this may be true for characters with the same number of covers, I like to use this event to try undercovered characters, which means a lot of searching to find them.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I used to love both of these pvps however, of late; there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to play effectively.
    Too much like hard work.

• PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Combined Arms
    At least with Combined Arms I'm rewarded for having some max champs.  Both are bad though.  BoP would be a lot better if it were "everyone is boosted" as opposed to "everyone is 550."  Or even better if they locked out 5*s.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Combined Arms
    Boosted Vulture is a nightmare in BoP; I've been running Vulture/Medusa/G4mora, and his green AoE is doing around 54k damage to each enemy while G4mora keeps them stunned and medusa keeps the health up. It was an easy jump to 575, and I may push it as far as I can given today is a 2-day sub in The Hunt.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Boosted Vulture is a nightmare in BoP; I've been running Vulture/Medusa/G4mora, and his green AoE is doing around 54k damage to each enemy while G4mora keeps them stunned and medusa keeps the health up. It was an easy jump to 575, and I may push it as far as I can given today is a 2-day sub in The Hunt.
    Today is NOT a 2-day sub in The Hunt, FYI.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Combined Arms
    Oh dang, guess it isn't; i'm playing in slice 1 this time, and i'm usually in a later one so the 23+hours i saw remaining this morning threw me off
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or even better if they locked out 5*s.
    What makes 5-stars so awful? (I've never used/faced any fives.)
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Dormammu said:
    Historically 5*'s are terrible to use in this event. Unsure about Gambit...
  • PenniesForEveryone
    Combined Arms
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Dormammu said:
    They have high match damage, but ability damage doesn't scale well compared to 4*s....plus it messes up your defensive team.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Combined Arms
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Dormammu said:

So far, the majority of teams I have seen are Gambit/Thor with a 3rd piece like America Chavez. 

In the past, you could expect to see a wide variety, and as you mentioned no one would run 5's since they don't boost to a similar level as the 4's do. That variety is pretty much dead. 

• PenniesForEveryone
    Combined Arms
    It's pretty telling when Gambit dominates BoP too.....
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Balance of Power
    I'll take ANY pvp where I'm not required to use 3* characters, Im so sick of that tier