How will the new deck slot pricing impact your deck slot buying habits?

Options
2»

Comments

• MTG_Mage
    MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Options
    To quote myself on this subject from the blog post thread:
    MTG_Mage said:

Excited for the new set, 
    however the info I was looking forward to the most is the deck slot price reduction and I am underwhelmed at this change. 200c to 150 and 45k runes to 20k. While the runes reduction is decent, both are not enough. Why didn't they go down comparatively the same? The runes cost is only available at level 60 and runes are more precious a commodity now. I intentionally do not put all my walkers to 60 as I enjoy playing some at other levels, and find that level 40 is a sweet spot.

I have all 30 planeswalkers and at the current deck slot price, I have not purchased a single one. If the price were much lower, say 50c and 10k runes, then I would buy one for every single PW I have. That would make a huge difference in how much I play and enjoy this game. Before anyone says "just buy a few with the PWs you use the most" - no, I use them all and really dislike taking apart decks to switch from legacy to standard, so I would rather switch to a PW already with a suitable deck than change the deck.

Please reconsider the cost of the deck slots before next weeks patch, its just a number that has to be changed.
    @Brigby Pricing is very important, the difference is me and many others will literally buy ZERO deckslots at the current or current planned pricing, but at 50c / 10k runes, most would buy ALL deckslots for all of their PWs, heck I would even buy crystals for them. At least lower the crystal cost to the equivilant rune reduction, which would be (rounded to) 90c instead of 150c, however I really think 50 or 60c is the pricepoint where everyone would be happy. As it is now, I resent deck slots as I would use them everyday and have not played as much as I used to as a result of them. If the 'huge' reduction stays at the current price I feel I will be annoyed to the point that I would play the game less. What is the point of a required mechanic thats locked behind a paywall? make it accessible and I guarantee more players will be happy and play MORE and stimulate more purchases as well. 
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Neutral Option
    What I would like to see is the level requirement dropped in order to purchase a deck slot for Runes. I probably would have gotten some now and would buy some more after the decrease if that were to happen. 
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nothing, Never bought any before, won't buy them now.
    I might eventually buy some with runes at the new price, after leveling all the Planeswalkers I want to. So, maybe in 9 months? Really, if they had a way to get an extra deck slot for all Planeswalkers, current and future, I'd be more likely to get that. The current and soon-to-be setup are both way too little return on investment for me.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Neutral Option
    DBJones said:
    I might eventually buy some with runes at the new price, after leveling all the Planeswalkers I want to. So, maybe in 9 months? Really, if they had a way to get an extra deck slot for all Planeswalkers, current and future, I'd be more likely to get that. The current and soon-to-be setup are both way too little return on investment for me.
    Actually, this...

The people saying it should be free are right on the money, there should be 1 legacy and 1 standard deck by default for everyone.

BUT. Above that, I'd pay $10 real money to add 1 slot to EVERYONE forever, including planeswalkers I haven't got yet.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I actually think they should have a third avenue to obtaining deck slots. If you manage to collect all of the cards that make up a prefab deck list, then I feel like you have earned the ability to permanently be able to put whatever cards you want to in that slot.

It would be a great incentive for people to chase cards. And given the fact that more players seem to be talking about spending money, I think it would also encourage people to buy crystals in order to purchase more cards and possibly fill in those blanks.

Furthermore, it would also round out the booster crafting experience by giving people yet another reason to craft cards they don't yet have.

As much as I would like to, I can't take credit for this idea. I can't remember who suggested it originally, but it wasn't me. Either way though, I think it would really be a great way to keep players excited and interested in the game and in the chase for new cards.
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Oh yeah! I'm going to Valuetown! All in!
    I have paid 200c for slots on Kiora and Nicol.  No regrets.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Matthew said:

As much as I would like to, I can't take credit for this idea. I can't remember who suggested it originally, but it wasn't me. Either way though, I think it would really be a great way to keep players excited and interested in the game and in the chase for new cards.
    Yeah, that was my suggestion a while back. Still hoping they'll go down that road. The prefab decks are still just UI clutter and a complete waste of space IMO.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm going to buy more with Runes, but not Crystals
    I bought every deck slot I could with runes after maxing out Bolas since there wasn't going to be anything that i would ever need more runes for. I'm back to over 500k runes.

I have also spent crystals for slots on all the pw's I use frequently. If it were an option I'd buy 3 more slots with runes/crystals for my Kiora. It's that worth it to me. 
    you have over 500,000 runes? O.o
    That's a pretty standard amount of runes for players active for more than a year, especially if they had a chance to meddle in QB. There are players with 3 million runes out there. You couldn't not be drowning in runes if you were a QB aficionado.  ;)
  • Waschecht
    Waschecht Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Neutral Option
    Still too expensive
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    imo it's a move in the right direction. deck slots have an
    impact on the creativity of decks. trying out decks using
    the tg deck slot is great but it doesn't carry over to the
    next day. remembering where you left off is a pain. and
    if you ran into an interesting opponent deck whilst testing
    and wanted to try it while it's still fresh in your mind...
    forget that. I mostly save the single deck template and
    substitute cards into the active event deck slot. this
    means there's little variation in my play style for each
    planeswalker. deck slots is a way to encourage players to
    create variation for other players to play against which
    ultimately is a good thing. I've always found deck slots
    not accessible enough. if the ftp model is to have ftp
    players create more variation for paying players, then
    making deck slots not very accessible to ftp players
    seems counter intuitive.

HH
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nothing, I already have all the deck slots.
    khurram said:
    I bought every deck slot I could with runes after maxing out Bolas since there wasn't going to be anything that i would ever need more runes for. I'm back to over 500k runes.

I have also spent crystals for slots on all the pw's I use frequently. If it were an option I'd buy 3 more slots with runes/crystals for my Kiora. It's that worth it to me. 
    you have over 500,000 runes? O.o
    That's a pretty standard amount of runes for players active for more than a year, especially if they had a chance to meddle in QB. There are players with 3 million runes out there. You couldn't not be drowning in runes if you were a QB aficionado.  ;)
    Yeah, I do remember those times lol.  I banked a lot of runes from that but poured them all into useless planeswalkers as a substitute for extra deck slots (before new deck slots were purchasable).  Think I may have had ~150,000 before Bolas came out; but then...well...Bolas came out lol.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think that a good compromise and means to handle the prefab decks that noone uses would be to unlock them with 50, just a proposed amount, crystals after gathering all the cards for the deck. Otherwise they are just kind of there not doing anything.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
     So coming back to this: I had purchased a total of 3 deck slots under the old system (Dovin, Tezz2, and Sorin), all right when the feaure was launched and before I ran out of excess runes from TG. Now I’ve added 4 additional slots, all giving me space to experiment and see if XLN mechanics are going to work out. Overall I like the new pricing in runes and I will probably add 3-4 more slots to walkers as I need them. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    Options
    What I would like to see is the level requirement dropped in order to purchase a deck slot for Runes. I probably would have gotten some now and would buy some more after the decrease if that were to happen. 
    @Firinmahlazer It looks like the leveling requirement was indeed removed!
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Neutral Option
    Mine shows that I need to be Level 60 to purchase them for runes still.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    Options
    Mine shows that I need to be Level 60 to purchase them for runes still.
    Oof. You are right. The coloring changed but there is still an “At lvl: 60” banner there. That would be a very nice add. 
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nothing, I already have all the deck slots.
    When they were first introduced I had 7 digits worth of runes, so I went hard on em. I got them for all the pws I wanted them for . Probably wouldn't have made any sort of difference if I had waited.