D3 - Please stop launching so many heroes

Options
13»

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One good example is the new black panther. I now that kraven is bad but even if he wasn't, he is so recent we probably wouldn't have played with it. And 2 weeks later, yet another 4*.
    This is terrible for new players

Unfortunately it is something you need to get used to. There will be character releases every other week, like Clockwork. Though Kraven's release was actually 4 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago the release was the Robbie Reyes - that was actually a nice break since it was a fivestar release without an accompanying threestar, so we could actually stock up on ISO for Black Panther...

But yeah, Black Panther this weekend, and in two weeks there will be Another fourstar released. It's how it goes, because new releases is what gets people playing apparently.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,332 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    One good example is the new black panther. I now that kraven is bad but even if he wasn't, he is so recent we probably wouldn't have played with it. And 2 weeks later, yet another 4*.
    This is terrible for new players.

But yeah, Black Panther this weekend, and in two weeks there will be Another fourstar released. It's how it goes, because new releases is what gets people playing (paying) apparently.

FTFY
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To be fair, new players shouldn't even be worrying about 4*s. They'll be working on 2*s and 3*s. 
    True, but they still also add several 3*s a year continuing to increase the gate to even get past that beginner stage...
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    broll said:
    To be fair, new players shouldn't even be worrying about 4*s. They'll be working on 2*s and 3*s. 
    True, but they still also add several 3*s a year continuing to increase the gate to even get past that beginner stage...
    At the end of the day you should ask yourself one simple question as a new player. Are you willing to put 3 years of your life into playing this game? If the answer is no, stop playing and find something else. 

Its a very long road playing Marvel Puzzle Quest and theres no quick way to the end without putting sickening amounts of money into the game. 
  • broll
    Options
    broll said:
    At the end of the day you should ask yourself one simple question as a new player. Are you willing to put 3 years of your life into playing this game? If the answer is no, stop playing and find something else. 

Its a very long road playing Marvel Puzzle Quest and theres no quick way to the end without putting sickening amounts of money into the game. 
    I don't disagree and that's the problem...  every-time there's a survey asking if I would recommend it I say no.  No one has that kind of time commitment.  It get's more and more bloated and the gap between new and old grows wider.  IMO they really need to cut the 1*s redo the prologue for 2*s and 3*s and make 4* transition easier (put a daily 4* cover in DDQ like 3* node).  This would cut 3-9 months of the early game transition and also help older players with vintage dilution issues. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's a tough road if you're a collector.   If you haven't already been playing for a few years, it's almost impossible to catch up. 

If you just want to get competitive, newer players really need to focus on the newer releases and just let the old chaff go.  E.g. no one needs Hulkbuster anymore.  He's a passion project, if anything.  Outside a half dozen characters that are top-tier with good synergy, everyone else is niche or "only when boosted" territory.  You only need 1 cover, so long as you've got two good ones to do the heavy lifting when they're essential.  At anything below the 5* tier, you can compete without a full roster of champs.

If you go into it thinking you need to champ every new release, you're going to have an awful time with the game.  Enjoy it with managed expectations or not at all.
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I personally think that devs won't loose much if they stop "printing" characters at least for one season and use that time to, maybe, rework some oldies, fixing some issues, inventing new features. And finally decided what to do with pvp. I know, that not all loved win-based, but they sad to think about it, make some improvements and changes. Problem is that everything depends on money and time. Take hours from developing new characters (at least for a month) and put it into something else and into new ways of "ravaging" our wallets.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You cant be competitive without the older characters though. They will always come up as essentials in PVE, where new players are going to have to start out, and not having those characters will mean you cant be competitive in that event. You cant skip older characters in this game in an attempt to catch up. All you can do is play your own game, at your own speed, and ignore what everyone else is doing.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Calnexin said:
    It's a tough road if you're a collector.   If you haven't already been playing for a few years, it's almost impossible to catch up. 

If you just want to get competitive, newer players really need to focus on the newer releases and just let the old chaff go.  E.g. no one needs Hulkbuster anymore.  He's a passion project, if anything.  Outside a half dozen characters that are top-tier with good synergy, everyone else is niche or "only when boosted" territory.  You only need 1 cover, so long as you've got two good ones to do the heavy lifting when they're essential.  At anything below the 5* tier, you can compete without a full roster of champs.

If you go into it thinking you need to champ every new release, you're going to have an awful time with the game.  Enjoy it with managed expectations or not at all.
    And here is a lesson to be learned.

When I first started playing, Hulkbuster was worth chasing, he was one of the better 4*. By the time I got him champed, slowed a lot by Vaulting, he was an irrelevance, an antique from an old meta that was based around stockpiling AP for a big nuke.

On a personal level I don't mind because I like his design artwork and pretty much any 4* boosted is useful. However unless you can keep up or are lucky, you will get passed by.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:
    broll said:

I don't disagree and that's the problem...  every-time there's a survey asking if I would recommend it I say no.  No one has that kind of time commitment.  It get's more and more bloated and the gap between new and old grows wider.  IMO they really need to cut the 1*s redo the prologue for 2*s and 3*s and make 4* transition easier (put a daily 4* cover in DDQ like 3* node).  This would cut 3-9 months of the early game transition and also help older players with vintage dilution issues. 
    I dunno, if someone can casually play thru the prologue they might enjoy the game enough. I think the real game is hard to recommend, but the beginning of it is probably worth playing. I got hooked on it.
    I don't think starting the game at 2* would really help new players, wouldn't they just hit the roster slot wall earlier? Daily 4*s would probably not go over well if they are like the 3, where you need to already have them rostered.
  • broll
    Options
    Straycat said:
    broll said:
    broll said:

I dunno, if someone can casually play thru the prologue they might enjoy the game enough. I think the real game is hard to recommend, but the beginning of it is probably worth playing. I got hooked on it.
    I don't think starting the game at 2* would really help new players, wouldn't they just hit the roster slot wall earlier? Daily 4*s would probably not go over well if they are like the 3, where you need to already have them rostered.
    That's the thing though, I wouldn't want to doom friends into potentially getting hooked into a game that's a massive time sync and both time spent per day and distance from the end game are further every day. 
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah the time sink for F2P is getting longer and I'm likely going to pull out like I did for the earlier game of Castle Age if anyone remembers it. It became such a time sink with daily logins etc. and became more of a chore than actual fun. Things got so repetitive that you had to do things just to get 1 piece of a major puzzle and there were thousands puzzles to complete and just as you were completing the first one it became obsolete with the next new release.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Calnexin said:

And here is a lesson to be learned.

When I first started playing, Hulkbuster was worth chasing, he was one of the better 4*. By the time I got him champed, slowed a lot by Vaulting, he was an irrelevance, an antique from an old meta that was based around stockpiling AP for a big nuke.

On a personal level I don't mind because I like his design artwork and pretty much any 4* boosted is useful. However unless you can keep up or are lucky, you will get passed by.
      True story. I didn't even use him the last couple times he was boosted. 3* Doctor Strange is far more valuable most of the time. It's gone from a Nuke meta to DPS.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is not a game I'd recommend any new players take up with any illusion that they will ever "catch up".  But if they like marvel and/or puzzle quest or match 3 games in general, it can be a fun 5-15 minutes a day time killer.  And no stress involved by the way...
    I'm in a very casual alliance.  We rarely finish round 5 of boss events.  We may go a week without a single message on the board.  I often outscore the rest of my alliance combined on events.  But the free cp messages are always popping up because people enjoy the time they spend with it.  My guess is there are a lot more alliances like mine than those filled with people that spend 2+ hours a day playing.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ppl insist that d3 has launched heroes this way since the begining of game. Still, only stubborns don't change their mind. I'm not gonna pay cash for 4*s I wont even remember 2 months from now....
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ppl insist that d3 has launched heroes this way since the begining of game. Still, only stubborns don't change their mind. I'm not gonna pay cash for 4*s I wont even remember 2 months from now....
    That's fine, other people do, and a great many of us are fine with it either way.

You should try being less stubborn and change your mind.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is not a game I'd recommend any new players take up with any illusion that they will ever "catch up".  But if they like marvel and/or puzzle quest or match 3 games in general, it can be a fun 5-15 minutes a day time killer.  And no stress involved by the way...
    I'm in a very casual alliance.  We rarely finish round 5 of boss events.  We may go a week without a single message on the board.  I often outscore the rest of my alliance combined on events.  But the free cp messages are always popping up because people enjoy the time they spend with it.  My guess is there are a lot more alliances like mine than those filled with people that spend 2+ hours a day playing.
    That definitely describes our alliance. I actually went and asked who was throwing money at the game because we got like 9cp from "supporting the game" across the weekend, and none of the people I'm IRL acquainted with in the alliance spend anything. 
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's understandable when new players complain about the release schedule. They are already limited by roster slots and HP, so having to deal with a new character every two weeks can be hard on them. But like Nick441234 said, they really should be focusing on 2* and 3* characters...

However, long-term players should be used to this by now. In most cases, we have enough slots/HP to roster a new character every two weeks. If not, well, you'll have to prioritize which characters you like then, or spend some money on HP. 

And honestly, I'm cool with every new 4* not being memorable. It means I don't feel the need to chase their covers and won't have to spend ISO to champ them right away in my ISO-limited state.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,332 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The upside of dilution is that Vintage characters are not going to be required very often. So if you skip rostering one it won’t be a huge inpact on general pve and pvp.  It will probably be about 1/2 a year between a specific Vintage 4* being an essential.  That said, they should really consider an increase in  the cover reward rate at this point with 61 4’s and counting.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There's definitely a snowball effect for resources if you build your roster from the bottom up. I'm getting HP very quickly now that I'm farming, and now that my 3* roster is getting up into the 220s. I don't know that there's a short way to catch up currently available (for free), but if you can stay in your lane and champ all your characters teir by teir, you'll be able to do it eventually.