Character Effects

Qubort
Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
edited February 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Now that we've had the option of turning off Character Effects for a while, I was curious how many turned them off and primary reason for decision.

Character Effects 143 votes

Always off, I play competitive and the time would cost me placement
19%
KolencerixmithkillercoolxKOBALTxDartmaster01BlackICHendrossCarnifexxDaichesbeyonderbubPolarPopBearLLohmOver__FlowTalestummy[Deleted User]KevmcgMr BaconpenguinifficNick9819Coulson_Lives 28 votes
Always off, I like reducing the amount of time in game
37%
afsplatStarfuryMennoKnightYasuruQuebbsterHadronicPunter1JexmansirwookieechrisNabistayejmusTiggidaferaldayorMattjimfChest RockwellTheDobotBlindman13udonomefooaesthetocystNick441234 53 votes
I turn them on and off depending how I'm playing at the moment.
10%
Dinobot77PorkBellysinnerjflCNashGrimSkaldDeadsiderQubortSlappyDingleSNKAllenFelessaJarvisJackrabbitbrollTPF AlexisSpace DwarfKC_Hammer 15 votes
I turn them on just to see new character animations and then back off
16%
Dragon_NexusJonny1PunchTaganovwymtimedr tinykittyloveleeleeshinexidragonxitanis3303CT1888Piro_plockMageren25phillyevade420St1nkf1stshadowyoshiStraycatHobieCat76[Deleted User]STERLING21JJhunky_funky 23 votes
Never have turned them off. Would ruin the fun of the game.
12%
CubRobIridiousAngjomoss04ZootSaxsmecherDoc LCyberVenom2001tph_jamesLilithdjrdjrBrigadierbleuReecohHistamielDogfaceAnonmurmitThaRoadWarrior 18 votes
Wait, you can turn off character effects?
2%
slaxer723MinoxcameronschRichcrum78 4 votes
Other
1%
DAZ0273Ptahhotep 2 votes

Comments

• Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I had them turned off from day 1 and recently turned them back on. I enjoy seeing the animations if I'm not trying for T10.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't care about placement, but playing through 7/6 in PvE and to 900 in PvP takes enough time already. I like the animations, but not enough to spend the extra time watching them.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some animations I'm just sick of seeing. Anything Red Hulk, for example. Or Jean Grey.

But generally I keep them off. It can be disorientating when the enemy hits you with a bunch of stuff and it's hard to tell what the damage was from, but you soon learn to keep an eye on what their AP is more frequently.

I tend to turn them back on to see how the new character looks and acts, but then they're right back off again. I feel sorry for the artists, honestly =/
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I never turned them off. I like the character art, and I am concerned that turning them off will send a signal that new characters can have lazy animations/artwork moving forward. Chavez came out right after, and hers are a little on the weak side,  but the Kraven and Ghost Rider came out with great art (opinions about mechanical play aside), so maybe that was unfounded. It is worth noting I am not playing for competitive placement.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Off and on. If I played always off I’d get board and quit in a week. Reduces the game to candy crush. I only ever turn them off for speed and I wish that didn’t feel like a requirement, but it does....
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I turned them back on to see Archangel's animations, which are kinda cool, but I ran the match with Gambit as well, and I gotta tell you...maybe THAT should be the nerf for him! Is there a slower animation than Ragin' Cajun?? Make it so his animation always play regardless of settings and I bet you'll see him drop out of the meta. Way he spams his powers? Ain't nobody got time for that :D:D:D
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 said:
    I turned them back on to see Archangel's animations, which are kinda cool, but I ran the match with Gambit as well, and I gotta tell you...maybe THAT should be the nerf for him! Is there a slower animation than Ragin' Cajun?? Make it so his animation always play regardless of settings and I bet you'll see him drop out of the meta. Way he spams his powers? Ain't nobody got time for that :D:D:D
    I absolutely used to build PVP defense teams based on who had the most number of annoying animations on the premise players would skip me lol. Hard to say if it worked or not
  • djrdjr
    djrdjr Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Animations always on. Sound always off.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    Always off to reduce time since they added the extra clears and 5e. Reduce the total clears by one and I’d be happy to have them forced on. The game is much better with them but pve takes up too much time.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    They are always off since I was able to set it that way. I have no idea what any of the newer toons' moves look like.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Always on; only off when I'm trying to grind out the last few points in PVE at the end of the event and need the time advantage.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Off and on. If I played always off I’d get board and quit in a week. Reduces the game to candy crush. I only ever turn them off for speed and I wish that didn’t feel like a requirement, but it does....

Yeah, that's where I am too.  I'll also turn them off when I get tired of them (hey, Gambit, can you not for a while?)
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I have them on almost always. Only a couple of times did I flick it off. Tbh, I actually lost track of some passive abilities and took more damage than I meant to, as I am so used to seeing the animations of things! It’s a part of the game for me, and I really enjoy some of them.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Besides saving time, it also makes me more likely to use some characters that just took forever before or avoided in pvp because of their passive always going off. Now I can play matches based off of abilities rather than which will frustrate me the least via passives
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker

Turned them off as soon as the feature was implemented and never looked back.

I've actually noticed that there have been one or two animations that still played partially under certain conditions (I had Wasp's Buzzing tile matched by the enemy team during a Survival node as part of a cascade that occurred in between rounds and the animation played - so not something that I have been able to replicate easily). I guess I should raise these in the bugs section, but also it might be better if the devs don't tamper further with code for this feature.

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I have them turned on. It gives me a better insight as to my situation on the board.
    I must say though that the node with G5mbit, OML and Prof X was enormously tedious bc of the animations.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I turn them off when I'm doing my PvE grinds, because it cuts down on the time significantly, and also sometimes when playing against someone with animations I hate (3* Punisher, Rulk, Daken, Gambit, etc.), but generally I keep them on. As others have mentioned, they're a big part of what separates the experience from Bejeweled or whatever.
  • Jomu5
    Jomu5 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Now if only they would rid us of the banners for goon powers and enemy deaths
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    I’ve turned them on during shield training of any other non-speed related event to check out the newer toons, otherwise it’s become a nice time reducer to not have to watch gambit pop up 17 times per pvp mirror match.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    I always appreciate the amazing animations however speed is everything so off they go