Evidence of Power Creep-Galactus

2»

Comments

• gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    When was the last Galactus event before this? At a certain point, it was a coin toss whether I would lose or win with like 100 health of my last character.  And I didn't get to the last individual reward.  So me getting to the last round without decimating my health packs was very much welcome.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I don't get people complaining about how easy Galactus is to beat now. If you want that challenge so much, try it with 3 1* characters, instead of asking to make Galactus harder to beat. Not everyone has a killer roster.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:
    I don't get people complaining about how easy Galactus is to beat now. If you want that challenge so much, try it with 3 1* characters, instead of asking to make Galactus harder to beat. Not everyone has a killer roster.
    We already passed that phase, about 2 cycles ago.   I think the lowest people got to was 3 2*.

I'm pretty sure it involved 2* obw,  2* storm, and some green hitter (hulk, or KK but forgot who everyone used at 2* land)

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that not only have our rosters improved, but the bosses have too.  A boosted Rocket would be almost worthless against late rounds of Apocalypse where you can’t damage him until you meet a lot of other conditions. At that point a lot of strikes would be gone.

Galactus is the IMHB of bosses.  Once threatening, now very manageable.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    I think people are forgetting boss rush was roster scaled. Be careful of what you wish for....
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used 4* R&G (boosted), 4* Star-Lord (to further boost R&G's strike tiles), and 3* Iron Fist (boosted, for the attack tile.) I beat Galactus every time in 1-3 turns, and without any of his countdowns ever going off or receiving a single point of damage from him.

While this is definitely an example of power creep combined with a fortunate boost list combined with a nerfed boss, before we request they increase the difficulty let's remember what they also decreased from the past: in addition to making boss events less difficult, they've also significantly gutted them of their rewards. These events used to offer way more tokens and I believe better alliance rewards as well. That said, if we're asking for an increase in difficulty it needs to be paired with an appropriate increase in rewards.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    Dogface said:
    We already passed that phase, about 2 cycles ago.   I think the lowest people got to was 3 2*.

I'm pretty sure it involved 2* obw,  2* storm, and some green hitter (hulk, or KK but forgot who everyone used at 2* land)

Hulk and KK are both 3*. From the 2* tier, Thor seems like the most obvious suspect since he can feed Storm green to destroy the board over and over.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    spectator said:
    I think people are forgetting boss rush was roster scaled. Be careful of what you wish for....
    All boss events are roster scaled... I don't think anyone is forgetting that...
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    spectator said:
    Boss rush had roster-scaled boss nodes - which is wildly different from roster-scaled side nodes. The most effective strategy to beat Phoenix and other broken OP bosses was to utilize 3* teams (Hulk, Storm, Kamala...) - something 5* players could not afford to do, because their bosses were scaled through the roof.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    broll said:
    spectator said:
    Boss rush had roster-scaled boss nodes - which is wildly different from roster-scaled side nodes. The most effective strategy to beat Phoenix and other broken OP bosses was to utilize 3* teams (Hulk, Storm, Kamala...) - something 5* players could not afford to do, because their bosses were scaled through the roof.
    ^ dis.

If you were at the 4* level or above, Phoenix and Banner would just instantly liquefy you with their free cascade every turn combined with absurd match damage. They were quite literally impossible to beat unless you used an ultra-cheese team that prevented them from ever making a move.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    spectator said:
    Yeah you're totally right, I was playing a lot on my side account on this event and it seemed like it was roster scaled because the difficulty was comparable between the two.  However I wasn't thinking it through and my side account was facing Round 4 and while my main was on Round 8.  Ignore my temporary (well maybe not so temporary) insanity.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    My 4* Rocket & Groot has too few covers to really contribute much.  Difficulty seemed appropriate to me.  We managed to get two of the nightcrawler covers, thanks to our top 5 going beyond max progression.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really don't want bosses to get any more difficult. It's one of the few areas of this game where strengthening your roster actually gives you an advantage over the competition, rather than vault you into more difficult opponents.

Besides, there are a lot of people still in the 2-star and 3-star portions of this game - several in my alliance - and they bend over backwards in the later boss rounds trying to compete with those of us who have 4-star and 5-star rosters. I don't want to lock them out from being able to play in the later rounds.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:
    It's less about Galactus, and more about R&G. In the right circumstances, they're just devastating, and this was pretty much a perfect situation for them.
  • STERLING21JJ
    STERLING21JJ Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Personally I enjoyed the quick matches, more time with my kiddos and family.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    i would like a round 9 in these boss fights that is really hard (level 550 maybe) that rewards the new release 5* cover
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I really don't want bosses to get any more difficult. It's one of the few areas of this game where strengthening your roster actually gives you an advantage over the competition, rather than vault you into more difficult opponents.

Besides, there are a lot of people still in the 2-star and 3-star portions of this game - several in my alliance - and they bend over backwards in the later boss rounds trying to compete with those of us who have 4-star and 5-star rosters. I don't want to lock them out from being able to play in the later rounds.
    Agreed. We've got a few relatively new people in our alliance, and some of them were essentially locked out once we hit LVL 7 and 8.

That being said, my son's roster (a few 5-stars with <4 covers, about half the 4-stars rostered, about 2/3rds of the 3-stars champed) managed to keep up with us by using (boosted) 3-star Hulk, Kamala Khan (champed a couple of weeks ago), and 2-star Storm (max champed) to continually take down Galactus.  Hulk ate a health pack every couple of fights, but that team went infinite just about every time.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:

Agreed. We've got a few relatively new people in our alliance, and some of them were essentially locked out once we hit LVL 7 and 8.

That being said, my son's roster (a few 5-stars with <4 covers, about half the 4-stars rostered, about 2/3rds of the 3-stars champed) managed to keep up with us by using (boosted) 3-star Hulk, Kamala Khan (champed a couple of weeks ago), and 2-star Storm (max champed) to continually take down Galactus.  Hulk ate a health pack every couple of fights, but that team went infinite just about every time.
    That was the same team people were using to beat Boss Rush, though I think 3-star Storm was preferred since she could clear out unwanted TU tiles.