Evidence of Power Creep-Galactus

Colognoisseur
Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
Those of you who were around for the second anniversary remember the first run of "Galactus Hungers".

For those who weren't it was an event designed so that the Boss would be nearly impossible to beat; and it was. They would later say it was by design. When you see old players mention "you're supposed to lose" this was their response to the outcry.
This happened in Round 1! Galactus spit out so many dirty tiles so quick and then got so much ap his eyes glowed and took down everyone within three-five turns. It took a clever trick to allow the players to gather all of the points.

The developers responded with a much more reasonable second run without a Galactus who killed you quickly. It was still difficult in the later rounds and it cost health packs but doable. This has been the case in every iteration since.

This run of Galactus I got to do to Big G what he did to me the first time. I used Main Event Hulk 4* Grocket and 5* Star Lord.
Through Round 5 I won 9/12 on Turn 0. The cascade from MEH's Grand Entrance was enough to kill Old Purple Pants before I had to even make a match. Round 6 it was 5/7 Turn 0 wins with the other two forcing me to make a match. Round 7 was 3/8 with the other 5 only requiring one match. Only in the final round did I have to play and even there I got one Turn 0 win. Every other one took one or two matches.

In two years the advent of 5* and other character mechanics have turned the most fearsome boss in the game to a trivial node.

Not that it was necessary but if you needed evidence of power creep it is right there.

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’ve been begging for harder boss battles for over a year and I have nothing like the rosters of most. Even before I had a five star I’ve been asking. Im not asking to make it hard for those that can now complete it, I want more past progression and harder boss scaling, a round nine and ten for those that can or even more. Make it a mode you keep on going until one by one your alliance can’t go further. I got my first 4 star champ a little over a year ago and can’t remember getting close to losing a boss round in a year.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, boosted Grocket made this the easiest Boss event to date. To think we used to Hulkfinite this, or Penance Stare. Now it's just match a few tiles and poof gone.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was just an unfortunate boosted list. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    ^^^

And this is why Grocket has to be considered a top 5 character in the game despite only having one good power and be being kind of useless when his strikes are matched.

1) I’m at a point (51 champs) where there are very select few characters I use unboosted- Grocket is one of them. 

2) When I rank characters, I pretty much rank them based on how they play boosted because that’s the only time I play characters now with the aforementioned very few exceptions. And boosted Grocket is beyond god mode. I think he boosts better than any 4* character personally and his boost weeks make any event ridiculously trivial like NO OTHER character in the game. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Colognoisseur I am glad you made this post to discuss this.  I cannot believe that we are here that we could take down a Boss with 0 moves.  Totally amazing knowing where we came from.  Now I kinda wish we would have version 1.0 of Galactus again.  

Now we see how bad this power creep is, makes me wonder about the dreaded Boss Rush event and how we would make out today with that.  
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    I didn’t see one of his cd tiles resolve until well into round 8.  So at maximum, it was 3 turn kill.  That’s crazy town.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah very easy..effectively takeen out by passives for the first 7 rounds. 8 may require a match or two. But did go down passively also. Been around long enough to remember 1,2,3 you ain't got enough ap to employ chosen strategy your dead.

But yeah. Not complaining. Nice break.

However, the key telling point for me about how easy this is that it's easier and quicker post progression to fight the boss to get at feeder node 500 iso again than suiciding the boss.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    It was just an unfortunate boosted list. 
    I'd call it a very fortunate boosted list. :)  Fastest.  Event.  Ever.
  • Gslactus is not a boss anymore. Let him fight any (almost) scl9 5* node to see who IS the boss...
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    The boss event was Simulator. This was kinda like when you're in elementary school and your teacher gives you a test on Thursday that is just stupid hard but then after the test she announces that on Friday you're basically going to have a free day with games, pizza for lunch, a longer recess and the only time doing actual work will be done outside in the sun. Enjoy the recess while you can, fools.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be nice to see this as the first step of SCLs in bosses. Do some test runs of Galactus, with the goal of rolling out updates that are still challenging at higher levels, and in turn working on the rewards structure (both making sure the rewards match the difficulty as well as making Boss events more comparable to normal events).
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    bring back Boss rush!
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Friendly challenge

Use G4ocket / Guardian / 3fist (all champed)

Try to lose the fight.

I been trying all day to spawn a board that would allow me to match my own strikes away before killing him, but I think it's impossible to actually lose with this team.

You're supposed to win
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Marginal power creep is necessary in a game like this so I'd argue that's all okay.

Its refreshing to 'feel' powerful too.  Something RARELY felt in this game.

As others have noted we did benefit from a very favorable boosted list and given that this event is 2 years old we've seen the introduction of champion covers and champ levels since its release which means even our 4*'s are powerhouses by comparison.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hadronic said:
    Friendly challenge

Use G4ocket / Guardian / 3fist (all champed)

Try to lose the fight.

I been trying all day to spawn a board that would allow me to match my own strikes away before killing him, but I think it's impossible to actually lose with this team.

You're supposed to win
    Heck, I've been trying to let him resolve a countdown tile on Round 7, and it hasn't worked yet.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I don't think any of my matches against Galactus lasted longer than ten seconds. As others have said, this felt like a bit of a welcome break. My alliance have got to round six this time, so everyone got a Nightcrawler cover. Sadly some of my alliance tried one match in round one and then stopped. I think my alliance needs a massive overhaul.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    I don't remember the first run of Galactus being truly ridiculous until Round 6 or so. You certainly could lose to him before that, but he didn't start dropping enough countdowns to one-turn you until towards the end.

I seem to remember the only semi-consistent way I had of beating him was to let 3* Carol eat the initial flurry of damage and hope it generated enough red and black for Hulkbuster to one-punch him. Wild how things have changed.

And yeah, I agree that he, like most bosses, is a total joke now.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Galactus not being a tile-mover is also kind of ideal for R&G. If he were matching away the Strikes as well, it might be a bit more of a challenge.

As is, tho, I think that run was easier than the 1* node in DDQ.