My woe; I quit MPQ "if not..." AKA.5* is what I expected.

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    Y'know, people act like covering a Classic is impossible, but my Widow is covered and my IM46 is one cover away, and most of their covers (9+) were pulled from Classics. Bolt is nearly there too, though I got two of him from Medusa and I think one from one of those promo packs they do now when a new 5 comes out.

Lucky? Sure, but with 5*s steadily acquiring 4* feeders and the occasional limited token offer with Classics at Latest odds, I wouldn't write somebody off entirely just because they aren't in Latest anymore.
    Yeah, I got my hulk and cap to 11 covers purely thru classics, but also my BW, BSSM, and BP haven't moved past 4 covers. It's pure luck of streaks with classics, and imo, just not worth when you finish champing the 4 star tier.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    I know you are saying you resisted the 5-game and are regretting taking the leap.  Would you consider selling Thor and going back to the 4* game/MMR?

I do have both Gambit and DD max-covered (my only two 5* with 13), but they sit at 255, and have a 1-cover dupe of each because I really don't want to hop into the 5* game yet.

I'm enjoying re-champing 3s and finishing off 4s at this point.  The only time I'll dip into my hoard is to get a single 5* cover for essentials at this point.  Otherwise there's still plenty to do before hopping into 5-land.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    smkspy said:
    Jarvind said:
    Y'know, people act like covering a Classic is impossible, but my Widow is covered and my IM46 is one cover away, and most of their covers (9+) were pulled from Classics. Bolt is nearly there too, though I got two of him from Medusa and I think one from one of those promo packs they do now when a new 5 comes out.

Lucky? Sure, but with 5*s steadily acquiring 4* feeders and the occasional limited token offer with Classics at Latest odds, I wouldn't write somebody off entirely just because they aren't in Latest anymore.
    Yeah, I got my hulk and cap to 11 covers purely thru classics, but also my BW, BSSM, and BP haven't moved past 4 covers. It's pure luck of streaks with classics, and imo, just not worth when you finish champing the 4 star tier.
    Classics are a seriously bad investment in the 5* tier at this point.  I used them to build my 4* roster, and at least there is now value in having rostered every 5*, but they only exacerbate the frustrating effects of rng and are far less efficient.  Of course you also have to either hoard or bring in cp/LT's at a very solid rate or you'll never champ the latests either.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know you are saying you resisted the 5-game and are regretting taking the leap.  Would you consider selling Thor and going back to the 4* game/MMR?

I do have both Gambit and DD max-covered (my only two 5* with 13), but they sit at 255, and have a 1-cover dupe of each because I really don't want to hop into the 5* game yet.

I'm enjoying re-champing 3s and finishing off 4s at this point.  The only time I'll dip into my hoard is to get a single 5* cover for essentials at this point.  Otherwise there's still plenty to do before hopping into 5-land.
    That is literally identical to how I play the game. All my 5*s sit at 255 and shall remain there for the forseeable future. I'm champing 4*s and rebuilding 3*s. 
  • smkspy
    edited January 2018
    smkspy said:
    Jarvind said:

Classics are a seriously bad investment in the 5* tier at this point.  I used them to build my 4* roster, and at least there is now value in having rostered every 5*, but they only exacerbate the frustrating effects of rng and are far less efficient.  Of course you also have to either hoard or bring in cp/LT's at a very solid rate or you'll never champ the latests either.
    Absolutely, it was exactly what I did when champing the 4 star tier. I pulled nothing but classics with my CP. Once I finished, I started with latest and am quickly on the road into 5 star land. Nevertheless, building a 5 thru classics is possible just it is completely based more on luck than it is in latest.

@Nick441234,

I was right there with you until about two weeks ago. But got my 3 star farm up and running, just slowly building the 4 latest 4s. Nowhere else to but into 5 star land, especially now that I can 5-6 of either completed or with enough covers to make putting the iso into them now worth it.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:

The MMR ain't really a problem.
    And I'm still in 4* land even if I'm having a looong period of champing really boring characters ahead (the poop gang).
    I kind of WANT to get properly into 5* because that's the natural progression but from here progression feels like  a  huge wall that's really really tedious and often hopeless to climb because:
    I've played and payed hard to get these 3 Latest covered. I hoarded, purchased, spent, swapped tiles, asked for advice - tried it all, spent hours every week playing more than what's healthy and the result:
    1 / 3 of the actual goal since September done. That's not the kind of game I want to play.

Gave 5* a chance despite negative expectations; expectations met.
    Yeah the spending is the real hard part there.  I just very recently joined the 2 buck a month club but have been playing over 1200 days.  So while there's been a huge time investment, I feel that it was time that I was entertained and its easier to walk away.  And spending less than 20 total over the course of my journey I feel I could walk away as well and not feel I "wasted" it.  If you can get beyond the sunk cost fallacy and walk away, then I wish you all the best.  I know it isn't easy.
    smkspy said:

@Nick441234,

I was right there with you until about two weeks ago. But got my 3 star farm up and running, just slowly building the 4 latest 4s. Nowhere else to but into 5 star land, especially now that I can 5-6 of either completed or with enough covers to make putting the iso into them now worth it.
    I know for me, there's still plenty to do.  My current iso goals are
    - Champ 2* Thor
    - Champ at least 15 3* dupes... probably more once I start opening heroics and elites again
    - Bring the three 4* (Ghost Rider, Kraven, Howard) I have at level 70 to at least level 140 (my crash level)
    - Probably bring Kraven to 209 for Shield training (covers permitting... he's only at 7 now).
    - Bring Daredevil and Gambit to around level 300 (my highest 4 is 296)
    - Champ Chavez, Kraven and whatever the next latest 4 is.
    - Go back and champ the 8 remaining classics (Thing, IW, Mr. F, Thoress, Brock, Rider, Quake and Gwen), and Howard the Duck
    - Champ the rest of the 3* dupes.

That's a ton of iso but it will be fun to re-champ 3s (at least I hope) just because they are a third of the iso of a 4, so could probably champ one every 4 or so days.

This game has always been a marathon and not a sprint to me so I spent extended time in each tier with no desire to hop into the next.  I understand the treadmill never ends so just enjoy the tier I'm in until I've exhausted it.  Still have awhile to go before there's nowhere to go but up since 4s cost so much to champ and I'm taking a sabbatical to champ 3s.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    The only acceptable excuse to quit MPQ is if you are dead. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did the hoarding thing to cover 3 latest all at once. I didn't like it, hoarding drives me crazy. But I did have a large stockpile of cp the day classic odds were bugged to 25%. I pulled about 2.1k cp, fully covered 2 5*, Phoenix and Banner. I champed Phoenix right away. After that I starting pulling all Latest. I've managed to cover and champ Ock, Parker, Daredevil, Gambit, and Thor. And I'm well on the way to covering Archangel. Until this season I never really tried for 1200 in pvp, I'm not a huge spender, have only been in a buy club twice. I have been VIP since its inception. I even managed to put together 720 cp to buy the last cover I needed for Black Bolt so I didn't waste a cover from Medusa, and still have managed to cover all the Latest. Just pull Latest as you go, you'll be surprised to find you can cover them without hoarding.
  • Nick441234
    smkspy said:
    smkspy said:
    Jarvind said:

Absolutely, it was exactly what I did when champing the 4 star tier. I pulled nothing but classics with my CP. Once I finished, I started with latest and am quickly on the road into 5 star land. Nevertheless, building a 5 thru classics is possible just it is completely based more on luck than it is in latest.

@Nick441234,

You see I dont follow that whole nowhere else to go but into 5 star land, comment. 5 star land looks boring, I see absolutely no appeal to it. I play PVP, nowhere near to the extent I play PVE, but I dont want my PVP experience becoming match after match of Gambits. I enjoy playing the variety of characters I get from having a 4 star roster. 

If I went into 5 star land, I think I'd stop playing PVP entirely, which would slow my progress. Until something changes with this game, I will simply collect 5 star covers but never put any iso into any of them. 
  • Nick441234
    edited January 2018
    Daredevil217 said:

either completed or with enough covers to make putting the iso into them now worth it.
    I know for me, there's still plenty to do.  My current iso goals are
    - Champ 2* Thor
    - Champ at least 15 3* dupes... probably more once I start opening heroics and elites again
    - Bring the three 4* (Ghost Rider, Kraven, Howard) I have at level 70 to at least level 140 (my crash level)
    - Probably bring Kraven to 209 for Shield training (covers permitting... he's only at 7 now).
    - Bring Daredevil and Gambit to around level 300 (my highest 4 is 296)
    - Champ Chavez, Kraven and whatever the next latest 4 is.
    - Go back and champ the 8 remaining classics (Thing, IW, Mr. F, Thoress, Brock, Rider, Quake and Gwen), and Howard the Duck
    - Champ the rest of the 3* dupes.

That's a ton of iso but it will be fun to re-champ 3s (at least I hope) just because they are a third of the iso of a 4, so could probably champ one every 4 or so days.

This game has always been a marathon and not a sprint to me so I spent extended time in each tier with no desire to hop into the next.  I understand the treadmill never ends so just enjoy the tier I'm in until I've exhausted it.  Still have awhile to go before there's nowhere to go but up since 4s cost so much to champ and I'm taking a sabbatical to champ 3s.
    That is exactly I feel about this game. If you go into this game expecting all the best prizes quickly, then its not the game for you. Unless you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, you are not getting the best prizes without years and years of playing. I do not care if someone has a better roster than me, I dont care if someone has a level 500 Gambit, I dont care what anyone elses roster looks like. I play this game at my pace and in the way that I enjoy it and thats with slow gradual progress. I champed all my 2*s, I champed all my 3*s and I'm 6 away from all my 4*s champed and I'll keep working on those while ignoring my 5*s entirely. 

The 2* farm is obviously in rotation all the time and now my 3*s are starting to need redoing as well, and I find that fun. 8 have already been rebuilt and the 266 sold and I'm currently collecting covers for Falcon as he reached 266 a couple of days ago. Magneto is next as he sits at 265. 

I also collect the LT's and wait for them to hit around 50 stocked up and then go on an opening spree, which is also something I really enjoy. I have been building up my cp to 1000 and then every point after that when I hit 1020cp, I'll open a classic token so that keeps me at least opening something as I hoard my LTs.  

I get so much enjoyment from all this that 5 star land isn't even on my radar. 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Qubort said:
    mexus said:
    Quebbster said:
    mexus said:
    Bowgentle said:

I expected a quit thread because you found 5* MMR in PVP too hard.

Quitting because you can't manage to cover another 5 is a new thing.

Just play Thor with a high level 4 and accumulate enough pulls to champ a new batch of latest 5s.

PVP MMR is manageable. :)
    Thing is, I'm too impatient to play the game as you describe: save enough pulls to champ a new batch of latest 5*s. The thrill in the game for me is to keep the screen flashing, opening tokens whenever I feel like it, making steady roster progress, little by little each day. This worked in 1*, 2*, 3* and 4* and I had fun up until now. Well, it's still fun and all but I won't be able to enjoy the hoarding game and no hoarding = no more progression = no fun. If I don't keep spending (which obviously don't solve anything) .

How far do you usually go in PvP? With a champion Thor it should be possible to get to 1200 relatively easy, and if you get most of the CP available in-game you should be able to get enough Latest Legends pulls to cover a fivestar Before they leave tokens.
    I always hit 575 and call it a day, 
    or 900 if I really need the cover that's waiting for me. I don't have any interest in playing PVP more than that really. I recently left my old-time alliance because they went hybrid. To have one schedule for the game, the PVE schedule, is really more than enough for me. I don't need or want also a PVP schedule. :)

So you play casually and are going to quit because you don't earn enough top tier rewards. Makes sense.  
    I focus on Story. It's more fun. I play far from casually, putting many weekly hours into swapping tiles. 
    Strange, I find PvP more fun. It used to be you played pve to build a roster for PvP.
  • Nick441234
    mexus said:
    Qubort said:
    mexus said:
    Quebbster said:
    mexus said:
    Bowgentle said:

Just play Thor with a high level 4 and accumulate enough pulls to champ a new batch of latest 5s.

Thing is, I'm too impatient to play the game as you describe: save enough pulls to champ a new batch of latest 5*s. The thrill in the game for me is to keep the screen flashing, opening tokens whenever I feel like it, making steady roster progress, little by little each day. This worked in 1*, 2*, 3* and 4* and I had fun up until now. Well, it's still fun and all but I won't be able to enjoy the hoarding game and no hoarding = no more progression = no fun. If I don't keep spending (which obviously don't solve anything) .

How far do you usually go in PvP? With a champion Thor it should be possible to get to 1200 relatively easy, and if you get most of the CP available in-game you should be able to get enough Latest Legends pulls to cover a fivestar Before they leave tokens.
    or 900 if I really need the cover that's waiting for me. I don't have any interest in playing PVP more than that really. I recently left my old-time alliance because they went hybrid. To have one schedule for the game, the PVE schedule, is really more than enough for me. I don't need or want also a PVP schedule. :)

So you play casually and are going to quit because you don't earn enough top tier rewards. Makes sense.  
    I focus on Story. It's more fun. I play far from casually, putting many weekly hours into swapping tiles. 
    Strange, I find PvP more fun. It used to be you played pve to build a roster for PvP.
    Probably true before 5*s. Once you reach 5* land, its even more repetitive than PVE. 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Qubort said:
    mexus said:
    Quebbster said:
    mexus said:
    Bowgentle said:

Probably true before 5*s. Once you reach 5* land, its even more repetitive than PVE. 
    But at least in PvP you can get 25 CP in about 1 to 2 hours of play.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    This kinda happened to me in Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes so I get it.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    If I were you, try to join top pvp alliance.  PVP 1200 is not difficult as you thought. Maybe you feel that PVP is getting worst without gambit help. The truth is that you will encounter 99% gambit enemy team when you have champion gambit.  You may encounter some other 5* combination if you dont use gambit in PVP. 

BTW, you save time from PVE grinding  because you champion 5*.  You can also save time in  PVP with good pvp alliance.  
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    CCW1208 said:
    If I were you, try to join top pvp alliance.  PVP 1200 is not difficult as you thought. Maybe you feel that PVP is getting worst without gambit help. The truth is that you will encounter 99% gambit enemy team when you have champion gambit.  You may encounter some other 5* combination if you dont use gambit in PVP. 

BTW, you save time from PVE grinding  because you champion 5*.  You can also save time in  PVP with good pvp alliance.  
    I can't overstate this:
    I don't want to join a PVP alliance. I don't want to play PVP on a schedule. PVE is enough of a schedule for me. So thanks for the advice but no. :)
    Well then you won't generate enough pulls to champ everyone without hoarding.
    No way around it.

You're giving up 15 CP per PVP, and a champ level for a 4 per PVP if you don't even go to 900.

That's what's keeping you from getting enough pulls.

It is what it is. You need to manage your expecations.
    No hardcore play = no covered 5s.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Bowgentle said:
    mexus said:
    CCW1208 said:

I can't overstate this:
    I don't want to join a PVP alliance. I don't want to play PVP on a schedule. PVE is enough of a schedule for me. So thanks for the advice but no. :)
    Well then you won't generate enough pulls to champ everyone without hoarding.
    No way around it.

You're giving up 15 CP per PVP, and a champ level for a 4 per PVP if you don't even go to 900.

That's what's keeping you from getting enough pulls.

It is what it is. You need to manage your expecations.
    No hardcore play = no covered 5s.
    I covered Thor?
    And I added 4 champion levels to him. If those extra covers and also the useless Daredevil covers were actually useful (Yellow Daredevil, random Gambits) I would have coverage them all.
    Yes, you covered ONE 5.
    Congratulations.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    You can control your time in pvp alliance. If you familiar with this system, you can get pvp 900 within 40 minutes. That is very effective in playing MPQ. 

If you feel your time is limited, you can choose CL 8 pve. You just lost 1cp per day. You earn more free time. 
    I just want to say if you want to keep your 5 star growing, you may need some change. But you will find that the total time that you spend in MPQ is the same as other players. However, some players get more cp and iso than you .
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    The groundwork for advancement has been laid down by numerous others. The path to higher rewards has been set and shared through numerous posts on this forum. People can play however they want best to enjoy this game. However, I feel it is disingenuous to complain and parrot uninformed opinions about 5* play if they refuse to do what it takes to get there by their own choice and experience it for themselves. Stay in 4* land if you want because it is easier, but be content with the level of rewards that style of play merits. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy said:
    smkspy said:
    Jarvind said:

@Nick441234,

You see I dont follow that whole nowhere else to go but into 5 star land, comment. 5 star land looks boring, I see absolutely no appeal to it. I play PVP, nowhere near to the extent I play PVE, but I dont want my PVP experience becoming match after match of Gambits. I enjoy playing the variety of characters I get from having a 4 star roster. 

If I went into 5 star land, I think I'd stop playing PVP entirely, which would slow my progress. Until something changes with this game, I will simply collect 5 star covers but never put any iso into any of them. 
    I understand sentiment, believe me. I felt exactly the same, but for me, how you feel about 5 star land is how I feel about 4 star land too. For how large it is and the variety, I see about the same 6-7 characters in every match, and use those characters myself. So I'm dipping my toe into the water with Thor. I'll see how the rest of the PVP season goes before champing Gambit, even though I know champing Gambit will 100% change my game forever.