My woe; I quit MPQ "if not..." AKA.5* is what I expected.

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
edited January 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Another "I quit" thread? Possibly. Not necessarily.

I hesitated and resisted the 5* transition for numerous reasons but one being the awful cover acquisition rate being the foremost reason. However with CL9 and 5* essential nodes I slowly went there. And while my Thor champion is fun he also shows that my suspicions proved correct: I managed to fully cover him and I also have added a few champion levels to him but my Gambit reached 9 covers and now he's leaving the Latest gang aka. he's screwed. Neither did I manage to cover my Daredevil fully, he landed on 3-5-3 and I already sold two useless covers.
He's featured in the Ghost Rider store - yey - but alas: since I spent all my CP trying / failing to catch Gambit I could't do many pulls before I reached rock bottom.
What did I do? I went to a buy club, spent another huge chunk of my salary and pulled more. Got a few useful 4* cover and two Doctor Octopus *covers*. My now 0-3-1 Octo is laughing at Daredevil.

However, this is what I expected from the 5* game and now I'm living it. I will try my best not to go for another Stark Salary and another fiasco pull from the Ghost Rider store. There will be tokens dropping in from Galactus though and I hope that I can get my Daredevil up to 12 covers from these. If not then I will resign, not because I am a cry baby (well, not JUST because I am a cry baby) but I always suspected the 5* land would be a huge money grabber for (someone like) me. I simply don't want to throw too much into this match 3 game. It makes me feel silly and disgusting afterward.

So MPQ, you have your chance to not scare me away by giving me a useful Daredevil cover from the last pulls in the token store these coming days.
If not, I am looking for support from anyone here, be hard on me, remind me of this post and make me ashamed whenever I fall back. I understand quitting is hard (yes, I'm looking at you who resigned 3-4 times the last year but is still observed in the top rankings).

**Removed inappropriate language - Ducky

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I fully expect Gambit to get a fourstar feeder once he is out of Latest, that may help you get a few extra covers. Rogue seems like the obvious suspect. Daredevil already has Kingpin, not sure if that is any help for you.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    It's a shame you got those Daredevil covers after he left latest. Unusable 5* pulls are the worst. That's why I'll only pull from latest from now on.

You should just go for Gambit before he leaves latest very soon.

• Quebbster
    mexus said:
    Bowgentle said:

I expected a quit thread because you found 5* MMR in PVP too hard.

Quitting because you can't manage to cover another 5 is a new thing.

Just play Thor with a high level 4 and accumulate enough pulls to champ a new batch of latest 5s.

PVP MMR is manageable. :)
    Thing is, I'm too impatient to play the game as you describe: save enough pulls to champ a new batch of latest 5*s. The thrill in the game for me is to keep the screen flashing, opening tokens whenever I feel like it, making steady roster progress, little by little each day. This worked in 1*, 2*, 3* and 4* and I had fun up until now. Well, it's still fun and all but I won't be able to enjoy the hoarding game and no hoarding = no more progression = no fun. If I don't keep spending (which obviously don't solve anything) .

How far do you usually go in PvP? With a champion Thor it should be possible to get to 1200 relatively easy, and if you get most of the CP available in-game you should be able to get enough Latest Legends pulls to cover a fivestar Before they leave tokens.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    How long did it take you to get to 5* land? Maybe distance yourself from the frustration you are currently feeling and try to focus on what you have achieved so far.

You HAVE covered and champed a 5* so it is possible (hey until recently I didn't have a single 5* with even a power in each colour, lol!), you could do it again.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    mexus said:
    Bowgentle said:

Just play Thor with a high level 4 and accumulate enough pulls to champ a new batch of latest 5s.

Thing is, I'm too impatient to play the game as you describe: save enough pulls to champ a new batch of latest 5*s. The thrill in the game for me is to keep the screen flashing, opening tokens whenever I feel like it, making steady roster progress, little by little each day. This worked in 1*, 2*, 3* and 4* and I had fun up until now. Well, it's still fun and all but I won't be able to enjoy the hoarding game and no hoarding = no more progression = no fun. If I don't keep spending (which obviously don't solve anything) .

How far do you usually go in PvP? With a champion Thor it should be possible to get to 1200 relatively easy, and if you get most of the CP available in-game you should be able to get enough Latest Legends pulls to cover a fivestar Before they leave tokens.
    Heh, maybe in a non-Gambit world.  I have DD & Thanos and while I've hit 1200 a few times it's been getting harder and harder as more Gambits pop up.  Last 2 I struggled to hit 900 because 95% of teams past 700 were Gambits that are difficult to win consistently.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    mexus said:
    It's a shame you got those Daredevil covers after he left latest. Unusable 5* pulls are the worst. That's why I'll only pull from latest from now on.

You should just go for Gambit before he leaves latest very soon.

I can't really hope to get 4 additional cover in 2 weeks given I've gotten 9 covers in the last 3-4 months or how long he's been in the latest.

Sure you can, you'd be surprised how much comes in spurts. My Gambit sat at 9 covers for over a month and then I got 5-7 out of 10 or so pulls. You just have to keep pulling as much as you can from LL. And try not to get caught up chasing covers with real money, that's a sure fire way to lose your mind.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I quit months ago from the multi-hour daily play. Now, only playing around 5-10 minutes per day, I am slooooooooowly accumulating LTs so that in a few years, I'll be able to pull three championed 5*s another time. 

Theoretically I should be hoarding CP as well, but now that I've saved 250 in the ultra-rare event that an elusive 13th cover is available in the HFH Store, I am just spending it to slowly add new levels, champion levels (and useless dupes lol) to my older 5*s, because why not.

And I still go hard for boss events!
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Don't sell 5* covers roster a dupe instead . You never know they might change sell price or if any 5* gets rebalance there might be a token trade in value. 
    And you still have 2 weeks to pull for gambit . I've gone on a streak of 60 + pulls without a 4* then get a whole bunch of them clustered together and a bonus hero so b there is still hope
  • Quebbster
    broll said:
    Quebbster said:
    mexus said:
    Bowgentle said:

Heh, maybe in a non-Gambit world.  I have DD & Thanos and while I've hit 1200 a few times it's been getting harder and harder as more Gambits pop up.  Last 2 I struggled to hit 900 because 95% of teams past 700 were Gambits that are difficult to win consistently.

There's definitely an overabundance of Gambits in the game, won't deny that. Game got a lot easier once I got my own Gambit champed, but I was able to Power through to 1200 and beyond anyway.

My Alliance has several players that got to 1200 and beyond (much further than I bothered to go, TBH) with no or just one fivestars. It takes planning, perseverance and a lot of Shields, certainly, but it is in no way impossible.

• Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I hope you will stay on forums at least I enjoy your rants and etc
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope you will stay on forums at least I enjoy your rants and etc
    Agreed.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like I'm looking in a mirror.
    - Daredevil at 10 covers, got an 11th from cover swap.  Kingpin champed but first reward cover is 6th color for DD.
    - Had terrible 5* draw rate from Sep-Dec.  Jan. is up, but so far 5 AA and 2 Thor.  One Gambit from a BH, now at 9 covers
    - Entered 5* against my better judgement, because of 4* reward updates.  Now in Gambit hell and tough to get motivated to skip through walls of Gambit to find one fight worth 25 points that won't cost me 3 health packs.

I don't spend as impulsively as you do, so I'm not about to quit, but PvP is beyond frustrating.  I've got no motivation to do it, and even getting to 575 is an onerous Gambit-laden chore.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    broll said:
    Quebbster said:
    mexus said:
    Bowgentle said:

There's definitely an overabundance of Gambits in the game, won't deny that. Game got a lot easier once I got my own Gambit champed, but I was able to Power through to 1200 and beyond anyway.

My Alliance has several players that got to 1200 and beyond (much further than I bothered to go, TBH) with no or just one fivestars. It takes planning, perseverance and a lot of Shields, certainly, but it is in no way impossible.

Definitely not saying it's not possible, just disagreeing that it's 'relatively easy' without gambit right now.  

My gambit is T- 1-2 days before champing so heres hoping it gets dramatically easier.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's the thing, and believe this might be true of latest. Building these guys to max comes in spurts.

I was in the same position. Really only started pulling latest with starlord. managed 8 covers before he left, then 9 covers for ock before he left.
    Then something just changed, got 12 for Spidey, then 12 for DD. Somehow got 13 for both Gambit and Thor.

It felt like to me, that there was a bit of a learning curve getting these guys up to higher coverage. 

I don't think it's anything to quit over though. Set BH for Gambit and keep pulling. You might get two gambits in a row. Then you might get a Thor or AA with a BH. Best case is if you end up at a build without a five color and finish him off with another BH. 

I just wouldn't give up because you haven't finished more than one five when you just started the transition. We just got feeders. Eventually they have to put fives in placement and progression. And don't let those stores divert your attention. Those 4s you got from the GR store would have been 5s in latest, maybe gambits that you did need.
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    mexus said:
    Quebbster said:
    mexus said:
    Bowgentle said:

I always hit 575 and call it a day, 
    or 900 if I really need the cover that's waiting for me. I don't have any interest in playing PVP more than that really. I recently left my old-time alliance because they went hybrid. To have one schedule for the game, the PVE schedule, is really more than enough for me. I don't need or want also a PVP schedule. :)

So you play casually and are going to quit because you don't earn enough top tier rewards. Makes sense.  
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Y'know, people act like covering a Classic is impossible, but my Widow is covered and my IM46 is one cover away, and most of their covers (9+) were pulled from Classics. Bolt is nearly there too, though I got two of him from Medusa and I think one from one of those promo packs they do now when a new 5 comes out.

Lucky? Sure, but with 5*s steadily acquiring 4* feeders and the occasional limited token offer with Classics at Latest odds, I wouldn't write somebody off entirely just because they aren't in Latest anymore.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018

Well I'm happy you're not quitting. We just recruited you lol

Listen, I've been complaining in our group chat everyday about not having 5* Gambit and I am still here :D

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Keep this in mind too, there is always the chance they actually nerf Gambit once he rotates out of Latest.  I think it is highly unlikely but it is a possibility.  Honestly hoarding is the current answer that I know the OP doesn't want to hear.  I think in the same way as the OP in that I like opening everything up right away and seeing progression but I made the decision to hoard for a few months and it worked. What I ended up realizing was that I was still seeing progression from opening elites and heroics and getting 3* champ rewards while using iso to help catch up on maxing out 4*.  At the same time I saved LL tokens and CP (maybe used a few tokens to get a latest 5* for PvE) and decided in 2-3 months I want to have some 5* covered (even if not champed).  What really drove my decision was that I have so many 4* champed (and all the good ones) that champing additional 4* wasn't really that satisfying anymore so I decided to hoard.  It wasn't easy for those few months but in hind sight it was worth it.

Believe me, having champed Gambit for PvE is way better than PvP.  He is a huge healthpack suck and facing other Gambits isn't any more fun even with your own Gambit.  Since you mainly play PvE, I wouldn't let the PvP side of it really deter you, just my advice.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    If i might make a suggestion. Don't bother too much with PVP. Use your considerable roster and enjoy PVE. Steamroll through SCL7 if you want it done quick, play SCL8 or 9 for a little more challenge. You don't need to worry about G5mbit (or only very occasionally) in PVE and stuff like MMR is non-existent there.