Is Gambolt enough?

Options
crackninja
crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
I have most of the 4* tier champed, and finally got my first 5* fully covered (Gambit).  I still have a couple thousand cp sitting around, and was trying to figure out my plans for the future when I realized that at 7 covers, Black Bolt could be fully covered in the coming months if I went all in on him.
Is a min-champed Gambolt good enough to get me to 1200 at least some of the time?  I can currently get to 900 if I'm determined, but would that become easier or more of a given too?  Those rewards would balance out some of the inefficiencies of forcing BB there.  Do I even need to champ BB for this, or can I get by at 11 or 12 covers and leveled to his max?  I do not use Line fwiw.
I currently play scl9 for pve, so no impact there, other than faster clear times.
My expectation is that I would only be able to use those two basically every pvp, but because of the way the game is designed, there is no way for me to know if I'm setting myself up for disappointment by doing few.
All other options feel like some variant of playing the 4* game for another year, which just doesn' feel like progress to me.

Comments

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think it depends what slice you play. Some slices are very high scoring and 1200 is probably possible, maybe even easy with a baby champed GamBolt.
  • crackninja
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I think it depends what slice you play. Some slices are very high scoring and 1200 is probably possible, maybe even easy with a baby champed GamBolt.
    I'm not married to any particular slice, but typically play 4 or 5.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Two incredibly different slices. I would think in s4 it would be possible and probably easy. Maybe not so much in s5.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Slices behave differently. Slice 4 is crazy high scoring and you can find good matches, but you'll get a steady stream of hits constantly no matter your score. In Slice 2, you can hover around 600 and take no hits at all, but reaching 1200 is incredibly difficult because the slice is dominated by like 30 people that just hop off each other and snipe any outsiders that try to climb.
  • crackninja
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Two incredibly different slices. I would think in s4 it would be possible and probably easy. Maybe not so much in s5.
    That's good to know, makes me wonder if I've been making my life harder as it is!
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    honestly I climb to 1200 and over with just Gambit and America Chavez
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm more interested in how you expect to go from 7 to 13 Black Bolt covers in a couple months.
  • crackninja
    Options
    Medusa rewards including setting her as 4* BH, 5* BH set to BB, and as I said, I have over 2k in CP currently to get the ball rolling.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yes GamBolt is enough in both S4 and S5 - obviously tougher in S5, but still possible.

You going to finish Bolt by pulling Latest?  Thor makes a nice pair for Gambit too.
  • crackninja
    Options
    Yes GamBolt is enough in both S4 and S5 - obviously tougher in S5, but still possible.

You going to finish Bolt by pulling Latest?  Thor makes a nice pair for Gambit too.
    Good point - I can finish Thor if I do this through latests, it would cost me a BB cover or two from classic pulls, but I would then have Gambit/Thor champed and BB close to max covered.
    What this really shows is my ignorance of exactly how strong a champed Gambit is when it comes to PvP.  If min champed Gambit/Thor is good enough to get the job done in s4 then this might all be academic, I've just heard so much about how strong Gambolt is.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Good point - I can finish Thor if I do this through latests, it would cost me a BB cover or two from classic pulls, but I would then have Gambit/Thor champed and BB close to max covered.
    What this really shows is my ignorance of exactly how strong a champed Gambit is when it comes to PvP.  If min champed Gambit/Thor is good enough to get the job done in s4 then this might all be academic, I've just heard so much about how strong Gambolt is.
    He's strong in the sense that he satisfies the need to have charged tiles on the board before using Gambit red for the first time.  But there are other ways to satisfy that requirement (an enemy Bolt or Gambit that uses red first for example) that makes Bolt much less useful.  In these situations some other pair can be better - Thor, Daredevil, Thanos, Strange, and Hawkeye are all common ones that I've seen.
  • redviper85
    redviper85 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    Gambit is enough to get to 1200 if you know what you're doing. I went to 1500 with America and Gambit in the Blade PVE. I was S1. 1568 wasn't enough for T10 but it was the first time i broke 1200 so I can't complain
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It really depends on how knowledgeable and experienced you are at high level play.

gambit alone is enough firepower to win the matches you need.  But a single gambit will is an open target to dual 5 rosters( who inevitably have their own gambits/ ss/ B.B.

you will still need to hop shield and play effectively to reach 1200.

I.e. you have the tools to get to 1200, but don’t expect to bash your way their because you have a baby champed gambit.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, I like Thanos or Thor better as partners for Gambit.  Like others said, you can get Gambit rolling by playing against a Bolt or Gambit and letting them charge tiles for you.  I easily get to 1200 in s4 with Gambit/Thanos (although mine are level 463/468).  If you play nicely in s4, 1200 is pretty much guaranteed.
  • crackninja
    Options
    This is all really helpful, and I appreciate the help!  I've managed shield hops on my way to 900, though I wouldn't call it "high level play".  Sounds like I'll need to focus on that skill and have a solid partner for Gambit, be it BB or Thor to make my life easier, but it may be worth trying even just Gambit to see how that goes once I round up some iso.
  • dpoch
    dpoch Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yes, a 2nd 5* character to partner with Gambit would be vey helpful.  I started with Thanos & Black Panther, but now I'm trying Thanos paired with Strange now that I've got him champed, too.  Good luck! 
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Medusa rewards including setting her as 4* BH, 5* BH set to BB, and as I said, I have over 2k in CP currently to get the ball rolling.
    That's certainly optimistic,  is entirely possibly to spend 2k command points and not see a single bonus hero
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you're dead set on Black Bolt, the long game, but best value, is to buy a Black Bolt cover whenever he's available in the 5-star Heroes for Hire store.  At 250 CP each time he's a PvE essential (which won't come around that often), it's the best way to get targeted Black Bolt covers.  Other than that, BHing Medusa and Black Bolt will get you there slowly but surely.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Which slice is best to go for if you just want to hit 900 and quit? =/
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Which slice is best to go for if you just want to hit 900 and quit? =/
    Shouldnt be too hard in slice 4.